PDA

View Full Version : To All Avantage boat owners PLEASE READ

Hardly Satisfied
06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I have some important info I need to share with all Advantage Owners and any other boat owners. Please send me a PM so I can advise you of a choking hazzard for small children that your boat might have that you would never think exists. So what happened to us won't happen to someone else . Thank You
Ed and Kathy

Lightning
06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Why not share with all.....besides this being the ***boat site and all.

Hardly Satisfied
06-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Why not share with all.....besides this being the ***boat site and all.
You have a good point, I was just targeting Advantage owners because I know they have exactly what I have on my boat. But what I wanted to share is a simple compartment with a small opening lid could result in the affixiation of a small child. My son reached into a small compartment and got stuck and ended up cutting off his circulation. Just wanted everyone to be aware. I never had thought that this could happen.
Thanks,
Ed & Kathy

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Holly moly and I had a baby and an 02 party cat. Thank god you were near!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info.....
What this reminds us is to keep a closer watch on our kids....large & small....
It only takes seconds......
Just like the thread a few months back.....Everyone needs to help out with this.....You help me and I'll help you......Watching kids is a tag team thing....
Not just family, but friends too......The more eyes the better......
I'm so happy this turned out well for you.....
Later,
CJG
:rollside:

Lightning
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
You have a good point, I was just targeting Advantage owners because I know they have exactly what I have on my boat. But what I wanted to share is a simple compartment with a small opening lid could result in the affixiation of a small child. My son reached into a small compartment and got stuck and ended up cutting off his circulation. Just wanted everyone to be aware. I never had thought that this could happen.
Thanks,
Ed & Kathy
Wow, glad to hear that he is OK. Post some pics for all to see the area. Maybe a similar design in other boats?

Run_em_Hard
06-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Sure does make everyone think...good thing that he is ok.

Focker
06-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey Ed,
Glad to hear your son is ok
gerd

RiverDave
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Are you planning on sueing advantage?
RD

Hal
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
I think I know what you talking about. The built in ice box is rather deep and the openning is pretty high off the deck. A child would probably have to put his head and arm inside it to reach down for a drink if the ice was low. I haven't ever used mine yet but I was wondering how many bags of ice it would take to stock that thing.I don't think Advanage should be at fault and I bet if you call them they will make changes immediately. Its probably 1 and a million that something like that would happen but I can see how it could happen. I am glad you had a happy ending and the little one is ok.
Late news.... My boat isn't here so I checked some pictures and it looks like it would be really tough for a kid to fit his head and arm in the opening of the built in ice chest. What opening are you talking about? Mine is a 22' so maybe It doesn't have the compartment you are talking about.

bignet
06-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks,
Ed & Kathy
My best friend just bought the 28' party cat deck, and he has a 4 year old and 2 year old...thanks for the info..I'll pass along the warning...So, it's the compartment by the ice chest right??
bignet

Hardly Satisfied
06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Are you planning on sueing advantage?
RD
We are not planning on sueing Advantage. It was absolutely not their fault. I will definately be sending them a letter and maybe they could simply add a warning sticker inside the lid or something.
Ed and Kathy

Hardly Satisfied
06-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Late news.... My boat isn't here so I checked some pictures and it looks like it would be really tough for a kid to fit his head and arm in the opening of the built in ice chest. What opening are you talking about? Mine is a 22' so maybe It doesn't have the compartment you are talking about.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it is the built in ice chest. We do not use ours as an ice chest, the ice doesn't seem to last, we usually keep out t-shirts, hats, keys, cellphones and drink holders in it. Also we owned the 22' partycat and it does have the same thing. I am like you, looking at it there is no way that I would have ever thought he could get stuck. But believe me it happened and if you would like to see a picture of how he is stuck PM me with an email address and I will forward a picture to you. I don't want to post it, so I don't have to look at it when I am ready everyones responses.
Thanks for your interest.
Ed and Kathy

Hardly Satisfied
06-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Wow, glad to hear that he is OK. Post some pics for all to see the area. Maybe a similar design in other boats?
The only pictures I have of the compartment handy are the ones that actually have my sons head in them. I would prefer to not post them so I do not have to look at them. If you would like to see it I would be more than happy to send them to an email address if you would like to PM me with one.
Thanks,
Ed and Kathy

Hal
06-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Here's a picture of the compartment.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/297ice_chest2.jpg

Hardly Satisfied
06-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Awesome, thank you for posting the picture. You have a 22' or 26' partycat on our boat there is not a step up to the compartment and the counter is about hip high on me 5'7". At least people can see the odd shape of the compartment now. Thanks again.

TOBTEK
06-15-2006, 09:27 AM
WOW............... SO, is your baby OK? MAN, just read this. VERY SORRY TO HEAR OF THIS!

Partycattin
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks Ed for sharing. We use our ice chest all the time. The kids are constantly playing with the drinks and Ice. I never would have thought that a kid could get in there but no that you mention it, it definetly is possible. Now I'm just surprised my little guy didn't try it, he gets into everything!
Hope all is well with your son.

ELIMINAT THIS
06-15-2006, 11:44 AM
I have the same ice chest on my 28' sport cat,thanks for the info. I am glad your little guy is ok. :)

Hardly Satisfied
06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok, I think that I am finally ready to post a picture, as it is really hard for people to get the concept without seeing the picture. I am not the greatest at getting pictures to stay in my posts, but I will attempt. I will also post a picture of my son at 72 hours afer the nightmare, so everyone knows that he is OK.
Thanks,
Kathy

HocusPocus
06-15-2006, 06:39 PM
knowing the facts and that your baby is ok now.. its still so hard to look at the pics.. they sent chills down my spine. the whole thing is just too scary to think about.

78Southwind
06-15-2006, 07:10 PM
HS
Wow....The first two are to scary. I can’t imagine being a parent and having that happen. I am sure the pictures are hard for people to look at but what your doing could prevent this from happening to another child. I am glad he is doing better. You need to put up a couple more with him smiling and having fun.
Lisa and Jerry

BajaMike
06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok, I think that I am finally ready to post a picture, as it is really hard for people to get the concept without seeing the picture. I am not the greatest at getting pictures to stay in my posts, but I will attempt. I will also post a picture of my son at 72 hours afer the nightmare, so everyone knows that he is OK.
Thanks,
Kathy
I'm posting the pic...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14539
Thanks for sharing this with other owners...hope your son is ok....

BajaMike
06-15-2006, 07:26 PM
another pic....i think people should see these...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14541

H20Advantage
06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks for posting the pics. Glad all are doing okay now. My wife and I can see how you would have not known he was in distress.
Hope that by posting this we can all learn and be aware of how quickly life can be taken from us by very innocent means.

BajaMike
06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Very scary....glad your son is OK..
But the owners of similar boats need to be aware of this, the same situation would probably never happen again but why take a chance...

BajaMike
06-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Good looking little guy....glad he's ok...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14542
Thanks for passing on this information, it's such a strange situation, it would probably never happen again, but your posting it here will help to make sure it doesn't happen again!!!!
:idea:

Hardly Satisfied
06-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Thank you all for your responses to this. It is nice to know that the pictures leave nothing to the imagination as hard as it was to post them, I really knew it was the right thing to do, so everyone could be aware. Also with these pictures owners of other manufacturers can determine if they have a similar silent danger on their boats.
Anyone and everyone reading this and our story in a different thread please watch for us on the river and stop so we can meet all the caring people who have given us a sense of peace regarding this story.
Thanks Ed and Kathy

sleekcraft137
06-15-2006, 08:59 PM
DAMN! I'm glad he's ok! Good thing you saw him and it wasn't one of those situations that he was missing for 20 or 30 till you discovered him.

MR HARLEY
06-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Thank goodness everything is alright! Great looking boy :)
http://www.***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14542

bunny 166
06-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Ed and Kathy, I am so relieved your son is OK...Those pics sent chills down my spine....I KNOW you will save another child by posting them and I am so proud of you two!! You are so courageous and strong! Little man is doing great and we are all so glad for you!! God Bless, Cindy

Daytona100
06-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Wow with all the bad news and recent drownings finnally a happy ending. Thank God your son turned out ok. From the pics it looks like hes sleeping like little kids do. Thankfully you found him when you did and no long term injuries. Hope the rest of your season is uneventfull and relaxing and the little guy gets a few fun boatrides. :)

Red Horse
06-18-2006, 03:47 AM
We are not planning on sueing Advantage. It was absolutely not their fault. I will definately be sending them a letter and maybe they could simply add a warning sticker inside the lid or something.
Ed and Kathy
Responsible adults...Hell yeah :cool:

Red Horse
06-18-2006, 03:51 AM
I just really looked at the pics. He is has a blue tint to him. Damn. I dont have the words.
Glad he is OK.

06-18-2006, 09:42 AM
God that is some scary pics, glad he is fine and thank god
for those firemen that were there to help you, since all
this stuff happening with kids, i had my grand kids out last
week, and had my eyes on them all day, and today i saw
a 10 yr old drown in the channel so said to hear

Hardly Satisfied
06-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Thank you for all of your good wishes. All he talks about is "his" boat, so we will be out again as soon as possible. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the recent incidents that have happened. We definately were very fortunate.
Ed and Kathy

Partycattin
06-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Ed,
Maybe Advantage could put a locking style push button latch on the ice chest lid. Kinda like the ones that are used for the glove boxes on the dash.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/64297/0/0/door%20lock/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
Just a thought.
Again, glad to hear that your little guy is doing well.
Jayson

redi4fun
06-20-2006, 04:28 PM
DAMN,
Those pictures brought the point home. I get chills at the thought of my boys getting stuck like that. I don't know what I would have done. :cry:
Glad your little guy is OK. Just recently my 4 year old stuck his arm in a gumball type machine to try and reach the toys inside of it. Jumped up to his screams to find he had gotten his arm stuck in the thing. That alone scared the hell out of me. Kids always find a way to make the most benign things dangerous WATCH THEM WELL!!!!
Thanks for sharing and again I am glad it worked out.

Roaddogg 4040
06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Just curious as to how did you get him out of the cooler? Looks like he was really jamed in there.
Glad he is OK...
Steve

carreraelite
06-21-2006, 04:26 PM
It was on the news tonight...