PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Electricians.....

HavasuSelect
06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm decided that I want to go into this field. I've been calling around different unions and getting information about the various positions (Inside wireman, groundsman, Lineman,ect...). I want to get into an apprenticeship soon but I'm a little confused about the actual duties and earning capabilities of the different positions. Can anybody shed some light please???
Eric-H.S.

vmjtc3
06-14-2006, 03:13 PM
In my opinion inside wireman is the best way to go. I work out of ibew 357 in vegas. There is a lot of work here and it is not uncommon to make well over 100,000 a year. If you need anymore info shoot me a pm and I will be happy to answer them :rollside:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
My husband is a union journeyman for Local 441. As an apprentice you will dig ditches and clean up trash on the jobsite. Thats what my husband makes his apprentices do. :D
j/k
I am sure he will post in this thread to enlighten you as to the glorious world being an electrician. :boxed:

doesitfloat?
06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs. Bordsmnj]My husband is a union journeyman for Local 441. As an apprentice you will dig ditches and clean up trash on the jobsite. Thats what my husband makes his apprentices do. :D
QUOTE]
That's called building character!!! I certainly paid my dues during my union apprenticeship.

XtrmWakeborder
06-14-2006, 03:28 PM
My pops is an electrician "not in a union" and makes 90k a year. I'm his assistant and all in all it really isn't a hard trade to learn or do. From what i hear linemen make very good money, but one mistake and you could be toast. I think i'll stick to 120, 277 and sometimes 480 though.

HavasuSelect
06-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Thank You everybody for your responses. I'm no stranger and I don't mind hard work. I'm used to being at the bottom so thats not an issue either. Just a few more questions. What is the retirement like? Once you're a Journeyman is it hard to find work?

cola
06-14-2006, 03:50 PM
My pops is an electrician "not in a union" and makes 90k a year. I'm his assistant and all in all it really isn't a hard trade to learn or do. From what i hear linemen make very good money, but one mistake and you could be toast. I think i'll stick to 120, 277 and sometimes 480 though.
Well if you have 277 there is always 480. Be carefull.

JB in so cal
06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
"220. 221. Whatever it takes :) "

cola
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
If you need me I'll be at the gym.

ChumpChange
06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Sorry to jack the thread but.......
I got a hot tub from a freind a couple weeks ago. I need to wire from my breaker box to the tub. It takes 220. I think there is enough room in the current box for a 220. Any electicians near my house in Claremont that can do this????
Thanks in advance.

riverroyal
06-14-2006, 04:15 PM
My husband is a union journeyman for Local 441. As an apprentice you will dig ditches and clean up trash on the jobsite. Thats what my husband makes his apprentices do. :D
j/k
I am sure he will post in this thread to enlighten you as to the glorious world being an electrician. :boxed:
thats what my apprentices do,,,,,1st thru about 4th years apprentices dont make much money.
Just know that before you get into it,gonna be broke awhile

HavasuSelect
06-14-2006, 05:29 PM
thats what my apprentices do,,,,,1st thru about 4th years apprentices dont make much money.
Just know that before you get into it,gonna be broke awhile
I still live at home so I should be alright. If I start now by the time I finish the apprenticeship I will be 26. How much O.T. is there as an apprentice?

riverroyal
06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I still live at home so I should be alright. If I start now by the time I finish the apprenticeship I will be 26. How much O.T. is there as an apprentice?
the electicians on our job are work 6 days a week,10 hour days.unions pay time and a half after 8 hours,then double time after 10.So they are doing good.There other trades to consider also,Im a union pipefitter,19 years now,our apprenticeship is good,you will always work.Look around some,do the research,if you gonna get in a union for construction you should be serious,its not a part time deal,once your in and you work good,its a life thing

HavasuSelect
06-14-2006, 05:57 PM
the electicians on our job are work 6 days a week,10 hour days.unions pay time and a half after 8 hours,then double time after 10.So they are doing good.There other trades to consider also,Im a union pipefitter,19 years now,our apprenticeship is good,you will always work.Look around some,do the research,if you gonna get in a union for construction you should be serious,its not a part time deal,once your in and you work good,its a life thing
I'm definetely in it for the long haul. I'm currently in the process of gaining as much info as I possibly can. This is one of the biggest decisions of my life so I want to think it out completely and gie myself every option possible.

lovemyultra
06-14-2006, 05:57 PM
This wll be good for you I have been a union carpenter for 21 years in july, do what you like but do the best you can to be unoin so you have a retirement, benefits and some protection from SOME of the contractors that will exploit young guys like you .I will hear it for this but it has been good to my family for a long time and I can retire with some dignity in 9 or 10 years

YODA
06-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Check out employment with your local electric company (Edison/DWP). Had a friend with them years ago and he said it was a great learning job. Big pay, great bennies and good retirement.

chuck studler
06-15-2006, 06:21 AM
check your pm,s

XtrmWakeborder
06-15-2006, 11:32 AM
The only 480 i touch is when we do the big stuff and usually taking it to another transformer to step it down. The 277 is all of our lighting so thats an everyday thing. Always careful, i'm not to into bein shocked or dead for that matter......

WYRD
06-15-2006, 01:33 PM
ahhhhh Now there is some "common sense" How are ya Mike?

WYRD
06-15-2006, 01:36 PM
"220. 221. Whatever it takes :) "
classic chainsaw and all! :p

vmjtc3
06-15-2006, 02:21 PM
277-480 is not so bad but everytime we open up some 12470v gear it always makes me pucker up :220v:

bordsmnj
06-15-2006, 04:19 PM
IBEW local 441 orange county 714- 939- 3131. also, in the next couple of years there will be quite a bit of work out of riverside. Just like with all construction in CA the good guys always have work. i worked nonunion for several years before joining. i won't ever go back. medical,dental,eyecare,retirement ,anuity, good pay ,free training,etc.
inside wireman rate is 34.97/hour in our local. Good luck -Jas

cola
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
ahhhhh Now there is some "common sense" How are ya Mike?
Doing good, not going to Havsau untill next week. How is everything with you all. I'am ready for a trip up to Powell. :)
Late, Mike

brianwhiteboy
06-16-2006, 05:06 AM
I'm a third year apprentice out of IBEW Local 11 (Los Angeles). In my opinion, being an electrician is the best way to go out of all the trades...you're one of the first crews on the job and virtually the last one to leave the job.
Yeah you'll be digging some ditches, cleaning some trash, moving a lot of material...but when you're getting paid $15, $20 and $25 plus an hour..who cares :rollside: i'll push that broom all day.
The shcool is state of the art. Everything is provided for you. You get raises roughly every six months. Where else can you get a free education while starting out at $13.16 an hour with NO experience? In five years you'll be making over $33 an hour PLUS all your benefits.
Now this is Los Angeles..other locals make different $$ and have different benefit packages.... and some actually charge apprentices for schoolbooks. L.A. it's all provided for you.
If you have any questions send me a PM :)
Brian

HavasuSelect
06-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Thank you for the responses. I am scheduled to turn in my application and take the written test on the 28th of this month. I will be testing with Local 11 in Commerce.

WYRD
06-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Thank you for the responses. I am scheduled to turn in my application and take the written test on the 28th of this month. I will be testing with Local 11 in Commerce.
Good Luck

Sleek-Jet
06-16-2006, 06:30 PM
277-480 is not so bad but everytime we open up some 12470v gear it always makes me pucker up :220v:
Don't be a pussy, and come out here and work on some 14.4/25kV stuff. :D
If working an inside wireman/electrician job doesn't suit you to well, the world is gravely short on Jounryman lineman right now. Pretty much right you own ticket on where you want to live. Apprentice lineman make a little more as well.
Check with the local union hall to see who is looking for grunts (groundman) at the moment. Most line contractors will hire you in as a groundman to see if you'll work out and have any interest in being a lineman. If you get lucky and get can hired on into a utility... sit back and enjoy a relatively secure 40 year career. :idea:

vmjtc3
06-17-2006, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=Sleek-Jet]Don't be a pussy, and come out here and work on some 14.4/25kV stuff. :D
I have an uncle and a cousin that are stump-jumpers and I want nothing to do with it. I am happy right where I am at :)

shaffewm
06-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Check with the local union hall to see who is looking for grunts (groundman) at the moment. Most line contractors will hire you in as a groundman to see if you'll work out and have any interest in being a lineman. If you get lucky and get can hired on into a utility... sit back and enjoy a relatively secure 40 year career. :idea:[/QUOTE]
If you have a commercial drivers license you can pretty much go out on a crew right away as a groundman through local 47.