PDA

View Full Version : What's it like driving a 19' tunnel?

racingrascal
06-25-2001, 03:57 PM
I am thinking of buying a 19' ultra shadow tunnel, but have never been in a boat like, how does it drive and ride?? Thanks!

dyounge
06-28-2001, 12:20 PM
Ive got a 21 Eliminator Daytona. Best ride in the world. It glides/flies over rough water without the jarring experienced with v-bottoms.

froggystyle
06-28-2001, 03:35 PM
I'd say a narrow first place at best. I have a blown 19' Eliminator Daytona, and just took a ride in a pretty psychotic normally aspirated 19' Shadow. Nicer interior, more useable space under the bow, not quite as fast but a lot smoother. They also maximized the space in the boat by setting the engine back further with a narrower transom than the Daytona. I was impressed. It drove nearly the same as mine, but seemed like it had a little less freeboard too. I would choose the Daytona over the Shadow for the river, but the Shadow ran really nicely over chop. 6 of one etc... It's a lot cheaper, that's for sure. You should buy my Eliminator though http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif It's for sale if you are interested!!!!

froggystyle
06-29-2001, 08:00 PM
Did you ever get a ride in the Shadow??? I think John has one there right now you he can show you. If you need a comparison, I trust him to haul you around in mine too if you want. Like I said, mine will probably be faster, It ought to be with that engine, but the Shadow should definitely compare.
Let us know what you thought of it.
George

froggystyle
07-08-2001, 09:07 PM
racingrascal, is that sweet little Shadow in the showroom yours?????? That is one of the coolest gelcoats I have seen on a pickelfork. It makes my Daytona look dated as hell sitting next to it.

racingrascal
07-10-2001, 04:05 PM
froggy, not mine. I haven't even got to drive one yet. John is suppose to be getting Blakes Green and purple boat the first of this week, we'll see. We're hopefully going to do a demo this weekend.

froggystyle
07-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Blake has a nice boat. That thing is close to 100 mph normally aspirated. That should be a real ride.
The Daytona just sold, so I can't offer you a comparison, but trust me, you are going down the right road.

fat rat
07-11-2001, 03:12 AM
Froggy, what are you buying now.

racingrascal
07-11-2001, 07:20 AM
Froggy, congrats on the sale. That's probably a nice relief to have it sold. You already have your new boat don't you? I would have loved to have gone for a ride in the Daytona though. How was the Daytona in some of the bigger Havasu chop. I have never been down to Parker Strip. I grew up going to Black Meadow Landing (Parents used to have a place there before they changed the park and made everybody sell there permenant trailers.) So I have always gone to Havasu, that is where I used to take my Scarab. But from what I am reading Parker is a better and more fun place to boat with the type of boat I am thinking of Buying. I just thought is was bad because the water seems to always be low and the curent from the dam. Do you have a place out there or do you camp/stay in a hotel? Talk to later.
Andy
[This message has been edited by racingrascal (edited July 11, 2001).]

boatnam2
07-11-2001, 07:57 AM
hey froggy,congrats on the sale kinda bummed out though wanted to see how the old ao would hang with your daytona.

froggystyle
07-17-2001, 10:21 AM
FatRat, I bought a 21XS Ultra. I kind of went extreme with it, but it should be a great boat.
Boatnam, I don't know what you had in the AO, but I usually keep races short and sweet, so most bigger boats have a tough time getting the holeshot and subsequently have to catch up. By then, I have backed off and act like the winner! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Racingrascal, the Parker strip is really great except for the big holidays. I have to wake up early to get a pass in, and then it is usually limited by the PWC traffic who feels they need to run at 6:00. Oh well, share and share alike.

fat rat
07-17-2001, 06:24 PM
I ran my 21' Daytona last weekend....first tunnel and first blower motor...the ride and power is awsome. I was looking for boat wakes...and when I found them, Man I never felt nothin....I mean nothin. My friends that bought our old Caribean followed us down river and they said they got beat up......been there done that...but lookig at them I thought they were having a smooth ride. My opion nothin rides like a tunnel.

Timer
07-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Congratulations, fat rat!

racingrascal
07-18-2001, 04:52 PM
Fat Rat, What size cid. What kind of top speed are you getting. Boat sound pretty bad!

fat rat
07-18-2001, 06:27 PM
The motor is a 510 BBC, aluminum bow tie heads, 8-71 littlefield blower, 2-750 nick carbs, and some other goodies. The motor is making 800+Hp. and 700 ft. lbs. of torque @ 6011 rpm on a dyno, I hit it one time and it jumped right to 6000 rpm's....Ive only had it out once.....I'll let you know how it runs next week.