PDA

View Full Version : Cant get water too my exhaust

HTM CHRIS
06-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey guys great web sight maybe someone can help me I own a 2002 HTM SR24 W/MERC 555 Supercharged allways thought I was carefull in low water while planeing out got set and smoke came up thought bow found out on water too the exhaust grouments getting hot so it shout down back too camp pulled water pump and the impeller was like new but the imput line had some small amounts of sand and little rocks and I DOUBLE CHECKED the impeller out,housing ,shaft etc. blown all lines out it still has stock exhaust on her even blown too out drive too see if any stuff was stuck nope Iam going crazy Iam I missing any thing? please help the new guy out!!!!!!!!

ToMorrow44
06-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Considering you checked all the water hoses and they were all clear, I would guess that the only thing left to see is if maybe sand is built-up inside the motor. I'm not sure you could get enough sand/debris going through there to impair water flow that bad but it's a thought. Also, did you happen to notice if there's any groove marks or heat discoloration in the impeller housing? That would be a sign that it's losing pressure. Again just a thought. Let us know how it goes.
-Tom

HTM CHRIS
06-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Considering you checked all the water hoses and they were all clear, I would guess that the only thing left to see is if maybe sand is built-up inside the motor. I'm not sure you could get enough sand/debris going through there to impair water flow that bad but it's a thought. Also, did you happen to notice if there's any groove marks or heat discoloration in the impeller housing? That would be a sign that it's losing pressure. Again just a thought. Let us know how it goes.
-Tom
thanks for the helping hand and yes I did check the impeller housing it looks like new thats whats so weird about this hole thing

ToMorrow44
06-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah then I guess the motor would be the last place to look. One thing you can do is take the water pressure sending unit out of the motor and see if theres any sand on it or around that hole. I have no clue where that sending unit would be on ur motor. It probably is in the side of the block somewhere. I know the new 496 mags have them attached to the sea water pump but I think your older motor would have it on the motor somewhere. So if you can find that, pull it out and see what comes out.
-Tom

HTM CHRIS
06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah then I guess the motor would be the last place to look. One thing you can do is take the water pressure sending unit out of the motor and see if theres any sand on it or around that hole. I have no clue where that sending unit would be on ur motor. It probably is in the side of the block somewhere. I know the new 496 mags have them attached to the sea water pump but I think your older motor would have it on the motor somewhere. So if you can find that, pull it out and see what comes out.
-Tom
Ill try that its got too be some thing so simple Iam sure Iam not the only nucklehead thats sucked sand thank you for your imput ill keep you posted .

Tom Slick
06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
Is water coming out of the tail pipes when you fire the boat up, either on the hose or in the water? If the pipes are running dry, your water pump is not pulling water into the motor. If this is the case it wouldn't take very long to smoke the impeller. Has the water pump been removed and replaced? You may want to check that the hoses are attached to the water pump correctly, as HTM was known to install the water pumps upside down, thus when you replaced your water pump you would mistakenly install the new pump right side up. When installing the new pump right side up you will mistakenly install the hoses backwards, so the pump will no longer pull water from the lake as the hoses are installed incorrectly. The way HTM rigged the water pump works, however the pump doesn't line up with the mounting bracket correctly, so when you replace the pump you replace it in the proper mounting holes, which in turn is reversed from the direction the pump was originally installed, thus the hoses are going the wrong way. Hope this makes sence.

al cole'holic
06-15-2006, 09:37 AM
..if anyone at HTM touched your motor recently, they reversed the lines :mad:
Good thing you didn't melt everything under the hatch because of them.............like I did.

pleasantcat
06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
ok here's something my buddy told me and after i did this i felt dumb as hell. when you run in havazoo or places like it back flush your oil coolers! every time i go to the zoo i would have water issues. well, duh i had twigs berrys and crap all jammed up in the cooler. so i check it every time i go and isuues are gone.
or, step up and buy a strainer....

HTM CHRIS
06-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Is water coming out of the tail pipes when you fire the boat up, either on the hose or in the water? If the pipes are running dry, your water pump is not pulling water into the motor. If this is the case it wouldn't take very long to smoke the impeller. Has the water pump been removed and replaced? You may want to check that the hoses are attached to the water pump correctly, as HTM was known to install the water pumps upside down, thus when you replaced your water pump you would mistakenly install the new pump right side up. When installing the new pump right side up you will mistakenly install the hoses backwards, so the pump will no longer pull water from the lake as the hoses are installed incorrectly. The way HTM rigged the water pump works, however the pump doesn't line up with the mounting bracket correctly, so when you replace the pump you replace it in the proper mounting holes, which in turn is reversed from the direction the pump was originally installed, thus the hoses are going the wrong way. Hope this makes sence.
thanks for the idea it does make sence and we had never let HTM touch our boat huh huh ..... heard all the stories! Ill keep you posted thanks again

HTM CHRIS
06-15-2006, 04:09 PM
ok here's something my buddy told me and after i did this i felt dumb as hell. when you run in havazoo or places like it back flush your oil coolers! every time i go to the zoo i would have water issues. well, duh i had twigs berrys and crap all jammed up in the cooler. so i check it every time i go and isuues are gone.
or, step up and buy a strainer....
Ya I new someone was going to say that sooner or later your totally wright the zoo is very trashy Ill fix this problem and buy a strainer, it didnt happend at the zoo Iwas trying out the 26 prop and dumb me short on money for fuel and wife wanted too camp OK ready I WENT TOO PARIS LAKE WHAT A MISTAKE... NEVER AGAIN bad bad bad .. she doesnt like the bugs at elsinore or the camp site next time ill save my money thanks for your help ill keep you posted

Jordy
06-15-2006, 04:36 PM
HTM was known to install the water pumps upside down...
Is that so they'd be right side up when.... nevermind. :D

ToMorrow44
06-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Is that so they'd be right side up when.... nevermind. :D
OOO that was pretty low. Hope nobody is an HTM fan in here or you could start all kinds of drama there...lol funny tho.

HTM CHRIS
06-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Ya I new someone was going to say that sooner or later your totally wright the zoo is very trashy Ill fix this problem and buy a strainer, it didnt happend at the zoo Iwas trying out the 26 prop and dumb me short on money for fuel and wife wanted too camp OK ready I WENT TOO PARIS LAKE WHAT A MISTAKE... NEVER AGAIN bad bad bad .. she doesnt like the bugs at elsinore or the camp site next time ill save my money thanks for your help ill keep you posted
Hey is back flushing coolers simple or do you remove them too do so ?

pleasantcat
06-16-2006, 10:24 PM
mine have caps on the ends so its a breeze. if not, you may have to pull them to get some of the big chunks. trypulling the hoses and run water backwards thru them.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
06-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Putting that much sand through, you might have cracked the pump housing and it is drawing air. Take the output hose off and put a graden hose to it, if water is coming out the exhaust your not drawing water. if you think there is sand in the system, pull the block plugs, take the hoses off going to the headers,and flush the motor out.

squad32
06-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I had The same problem as you. What ended up being the problem was a ziplock bag stuck in my lower unit.I pulled the line off my sea stainer and back flushed the system for no joke ten minutes and out popped a damn plastic bag. I had flushed it before for short durations with no change to my water draw. It took alot of water through the system to push that bag out. I Would run the boat and couldnt figure out why barely any water would go into the strainer. I did flush the oil cooler this season but not much came out other than some rubber from previous pumps. And its really easy to flush the cooler on your boat. I need to mention i have the low water pick up which seems to suck up everything in the lake. A strainer will help you a ton.

HTM CHRIS
06-18-2006, 05:31 PM
mine have caps on the ends so its a breeze. if not, you may have to pull them to get some of the big chunks. trypulling the hoses and run water backwards thru them.
thank you for all your ideas you guys are big help ill keep you posted

HTM CHRIS
06-18-2006, 05:37 PM
I had The same problem as you. What ended up being the problem was a ziplock bag stuck in my lower unit.I pulled the line off my sea stainer and back flushed the system for no joke ten minutes and out popped a damn plastic bag. I had flushed it before for short durations with no change to my water draw. It took alot of water through the system to push that bag out. I Would run the boat and couldnt figure out why barely any water would go into the strainer. I did flush the oil cooler this season but not much came out other than some rubber from previous pumps. And its really easy to flush the cooler on your boat. I need to mention i have the low water pick up which seems to suck up everything in the lake. A strainer will help you a ton.
your right there seems to be not much flow of water out the drive I tryed the garden hose thru the imput hose and it doesent seem too come out much maybe there is something in there Iam going too bring the boat home and work on her on monday and try all your guys ideas Ill keep you posted ,,thank very much.

HTM CHRIS
06-19-2006, 04:50 PM
..if anyone at HTM touched your motor recently, they reversed the lines :mad:
Good thing you didn't melt everything under the hatch because of them.............like I did.
hey do you know much about the mercury water pumps that i guess is a mercury 502 fuel injected part #46-8077151 my guess is Ive tryed every thing you guys suggested and every thing is blown out but the pump housing looks a bit rough maybe thats my problem inside the housing is small grove and the back has a grove in it were maybe iam getting leakage.thanks again...

Daytona100
06-19-2006, 05:04 PM
If your not running a water circulating pump you may have to prime the system. On my pump top is in and bottom is out. After putting in my new engine I hooked it up to the hose fired it up and no water flow. Checked the hoses ok took the pump apart impeller ok tried it again no flow. WTF double checked everything all ok. Took the t-stat housing off to check flow no water. Thats when I decided to fill the block from the t-stat opening and prefill the system. Hooked everything back up fired it up and voila water out the exhaust. Sometimes at least in my case hose psi wasnt enough to prime and fill system. Hope this helps.

Brian
06-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I pulled a dumb bass move and hooked up the hoses to the pump backwards once. Didn't work very well. Now I know how these little pumps work. The outlet is the port that is closest to the flat spot in the direction of rotation. Water comes into the port that is after the flat spot, moves around inside the housing with the pump vanes, and is then expelled through the exit port when the vanes get compressed by the flat spot. Never make that mistake again... :messedup:

HTM CHRIS
06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
I pulled a dumb bass move and hooked up the hoses to the pump backwards once. Didn't work very well. Now I know how these little pumps work. The outlet is the port that is closest to the flat spot in the direction of rotation. Water comes into the port that is after the flat spot, moves around inside the housing with the pump vanes, and is then expelled through the exit port when the vanes get compressed by the flat spot. Never make that mistake again... :messedup:
and I thought I was the only knucklehead I WAS EMBERESTED too ask questions but you cant see me on the computer well it seams that the pump housing is not in the best shape I thought that it should wipe water but Iam going too replace the hole gig and try too hook up hoses correct I cleanned every thing too do with water system Ill put it back together tommrow, keep you posted thank for your help.

HTM CHRIS
06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
If your not running a water circulating pump you may have to prime the system. On my pump top is in and bottom is out. After putting in my new engine I hooked it up to the hose fired it up and no water flow. Checked the hoses ok took the pump apart impeller ok tried it again no flow. WTF double checked everything all ok. Took the t-stat housing off to check flow no water. Thats when I decided to fill the block from the t-stat opening and prefill the system. Hooked everything back up fired it up and voila water out the exhaust. Sometimes at least in my case hose psi wasnt enough to prime and fill system. Hope this helps.
hey mine runs 100 just really hot huh huh huh well I tore it apart again to day and iam going to replace the water pump housing and plate and put hose on correctly I think the housing is my problem theres a little wear thought it would wipe thank you for your ideas,,

ToMorrow44
06-20-2006, 06:43 PM
hey mine runs 100 just really hot huh huh huh well I tore it apart again to day and iam going to replace the water pump housing and plate and put hose on correctly I think the housing is my problem theres a little wear thought it would wipe thank you for your ideas,,
Yeah if there are grooves in the backing plate of that water pump, then that will make you lose pressure because it leaks through those. The water pump is supposed to be sealed in order for it to work. Just a tip, cover the impeller in a lot of marine grease before you put it on. That way if something doesnt work when you fire it up, the impeller will live without water.
-Tom

HTM CHRIS
06-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah if there are grooves in the backing plate of that water pump, then that will make you lose pressure because it leaks through those. The water pump is supposed to be sealed in order for it to work. Just a tip, cover the impeller in a lot of marine grease before you put it on. That way if something doesnt work when you fire it up, the impeller will live without water.
-Tom
Yeah I think we got this problem fixed Iam going to GT performance on friday for new housing and impeller plus try to get a sea strainer set or does any one have one for sale or any suggetions on were too get a good deal on all this stuff the guys really seem helpful at GT and that important to me when I get in a jam and dont want to get screwed , all you guys were very helpfull thats what keeps the boat family big, Ill post when I fix the problem thanks again..