PDA

View Full Version : Roller cams and cam driven pumps ? ? ? 's

DUECE'SDAD
06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
So when you run a roller cam or a gear drive they reccommend that little cam button to keep the cam from walking forward. What about when you use a cam driven pump do you shim the three bolt drive out to fit right up against the water pump, or what should the clearence be here ? ? Does the cam button ride up against the timing cover on a regular car motor, or is there a little clearance there ? ? ? And i guess if its to tight rather than driving the cam backward you shim the pump on the cover with gaskets like you do the caps on a v-drive unit ?? What is the standard procedure for all of this ? ? ? School Me !!!!

lilrick
06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
ironically this was MY next question too!!!

Bobby Knight
06-14-2006, 09:24 PM
You can use your water pump as your cam button. Either make paper gaskets as shims, or modify the male female tab for the right clearaqnce. Usually .005-.007 for a roller cam..GOOD LUCK.

Carnivalride
06-15-2006, 05:07 AM
One other thing to consider is your timing chain cover. It's not recommended to do this with the stamped steel ones (possibility of too much flex). Use a good cast or billet one and then shim your pump or drive as required to get your cam clearance (usually around .005").

Unchained
06-15-2006, 06:27 AM
I've only done this once so I'm no expert but I put the shims next to the needle thrust bearing on the cam button which was 3/4" ID and shimmed it out against the back side of the aluminum front cover. I think I gave it about .010 clearance. It's easiest to do when the lifters are all loose so you can move the cam easy. Put a dial indicator on it.
Also check the runout of the hex drive. Mine took some adjusting to get it to run straight.