PDA

View Full Version : H2O pressure relief valve

franky
06-15-2006, 06:25 AM
I have a brass right angle pressure relief valve (the common ones that are used) that is used to regulate the water pressure to the intercooler. It has a stub (knob) out the end with a knurled edge. Without pulling it back off and using a pressure gauge, where do you set it. I am looking for an answer like "all the way in then 4 turns out". Thanks in advance.

Taylorman
06-15-2006, 06:37 AM
All the way in then 4 turns out.
You asked for that answer. Sorry i dont know crap about them.

franky
06-15-2006, 06:38 AM
All the way in then 4 turns out.
You asked for that answer. Sorry i dont know crap about them.
Boy did I set myself up for that one!!! LOL

FASTRAT
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a brass right angle pressure relief valve (the common ones that are used) that is used to regulate the water pressure to the intercooler. It has a stub (knob) out the end with a knurled edge. Without pulling it back off and using a pressure gauge, where do you set it. I am looking for an answer like "all the way in then 4 turns out". Thanks in advance.
there are several threads on the forums about how to plumb a intercooler...ck them out...u might be surprized!!
fastrat

502 JET
06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
You should set it with a pressure gauge pressure may be different than others.Too much pressure and a blown out cooler and hopefully you dont damage your engine when it lets loose.Its not worth the risk to just guess.

Maxey
07-08-2006, 06:53 AM
I run -10 lines to and from the large Whipple Intercooler on my 502 BBC.
I use a sperate pick-up for the intercooler. No flow at idle, and flow increases
with speed. Dustin @ Whipplechargers reccomended this set-up, and it has worked great. "Clean and Simple". :) :)

franky
07-09-2006, 07:06 AM
I run -10 lines to and from the large Whipple Intercooler on my 502 BBC.
I use a sperate pick-up for the intercooler. No flow at idle, and flow increases
with speed. Dustin @ Whipplechargers reccomended this set-up, and it has worked great. "Clean and Simple". :) :)
Got the setup down, the question was about the valve setting.

Bobby Knight
07-09-2006, 08:50 AM
if you want someone to tell you exactly how to set your stuff up, youll need more info. wheres the water coming from, if a jet, off the bowl, waterpump, cav plate or ride plate. after all infi is provided, people that are familiar can give you their most educated guess, AND THEN YOU SHOULD CHECK IT WITH A GUAGE. every application can vary.

Bobby Knight
07-09-2006, 08:54 AM
buy the way, i have had 3 of the valves go bad, and same w/ several friends. for both v drive and jet applications I get rid of those, run off the ride or cav plate. my pressures always worked well there, and theres no water at idle. this keeps everything simple, and your not dependinjg on a valve.

franky
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I just wanted to know rough settings on the valve, I allready have it plumbed the way I want it, the way it should be and the way it has worked great. JUST WANTED SOME BASIC INFO ON THE VALVE SETTING. But thanks anyway.

Warp Factor
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah, we'd really need a lot more information on the specifics of your setup.
If you're talking about the relief valve I think you are, they aren't capable of dumping enough water to keep the pressure reasonable in many applications.