PDA

View Full Version : Huterites

Tom Brown
06-15-2006, 12:40 PM
We have a few Huterite colonies in this province. They keep to themselves. They have their own schools, train their own people on many of the trades, and don't have a lot of contact the external world. It does happen, though. I've seen them at farmer's markets selling produce and baking. I've also had business contact with them on a couple of occasions.
For no reason anyone can pin down, it would seem that they are not generally liked. Maybe their lifestyle is too different for many people to accept.
One summer when I was in University, I worked on a loading dock at a grocery wholesaler. They bought a lot of food from that wholesaler. They always cut the sharpest deal they could. They would often ban together with other colonies to place a bigger order and try to get a larger discount. They audited everything too. God forbid they were short shipped on something. You'd have a couple of dozen stern looking Huterites looking at you until the order was fulfilled.
Also back then, I worked the trades and was apprenticing for an outfit that had a job at a colony. The boss took the job but was dubious about it. He demanded COD, etc. They agreed.
The whole experience was quite interesting. While they are extremely protective of their own and will stick up for each other, they will also hold each other's feet to the fire, should someone stray from the path. We spoke with some other local contractors in the area and my boss was surprised to find out they liked working for the Huterites. They said nobody has ever had an unpaid bill from a colony member. If you have some trouble with a member, one phone call will get them in all kinds of trouble. These guys could hardly remember even minor incidents and all incidents were resolved promptly.
It seemed really weird at the time but I've come to have a lot of respect for them as a community. They are quick to the defense of members of the community. They make sure everyone is taken care of. ... and they hold everyone to a high standard of conduct. If you are in the colony, you had better do it right.
It strikes me that ***boat is not a lot different from that. In many ways, we stick up for our buddies, we help each other out, and maybe it's not a bad thing when we encourage a member to step up to the plate and take care of their business.
Oh yeah... every day at supper, a place was set for us in the mess hall. We skipped the first day because we were felt weird about it. The second day, and every day we were there after that, we had supper with them. It was some of the best food I've ever tasted. Holy cow, no wonder they're all fat asses.

Todd969
06-15-2006, 12:44 PM
What exactly is a Huterite? Something like Indian, Eskimo???

ratso
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
...kinda like Quakers here in the states???

Tom Brown
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
They're close relatives of the Amish.

Todd969
06-15-2006, 12:49 PM
GREAT STORY,we can all learn from BUT who you calln fat? i'm round :cry:
You know, in just over an hours drive you too can experience the colony life in Colorado City.

Tom Brown
06-15-2006, 12:49 PM
...kinda like Quakers here in the states???
Yes. :)

ratso
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
They're close relatives of the Amish.
...that's what I meant...
I dated this girl once that was "Church of Christ"... had to wear dresses to school, hardly any tv growing up, couldn't wear jeans... left home when she was 16 I think... boy was she a little rebel... :crossx:

Tom Brown
06-15-2006, 12:52 PM
...that's what I meant...
I dated this girl once that was "Church of Christ"... had to wear dresses to school, hardly any tv growing up, couldn't wear jeans... left home when she was 16 I think... boy was she a little rebel... :crossx:
Yeah, when they escape, they tend to go a little Sam Kinnison for a while.
I know a few who have 'escaped'. They describe it like a prison. I have no doubt, however, that the colony is full of lots of them who are happy and feel lucky to be Huterites.

OGShocker
06-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Tom,
This July you need to come over and we will hit up the Beechy colony. I hear they are always looking for new genes in their pool.:D :D :D
BTW, I just heard from Homeland Security, it looks like they will let me come home July 1. :) I am only allowed to stay for 30 days before they kick my ass back over the border.

Her454
06-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm sure some even had rapsheets they shared amongst themselves for the betterment of the Huterite community too. ;)

Tom Brown
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I've heard they have been known to expand their gene pool anonymously by using a white sheet with a hole in it. Apparently, there is usually a whole lot of giggling on the other side of the sheet. :D

OGShocker
06-15-2006, 01:05 PM
I've heard they have been known to expand their gene pool anonymously by using a white sheet with a hole in it. Apparently, there is usually a whole lot of giggling on the other side of the sheet. :D
Hard to play with the "Hud" boobies when they hide'm under a Hudson Bay blanket.:D

sorry dog
06-16-2006, 03:01 PM
If you have some trouble with a member, one phone call will get them in all kinds of trouble. These guys could hardly remember even minor incidents and all incidents were resolved promptly.
It seemed really weird at the time but I've come to have a lot of respect for them as a community. They are quick to the defense of members of the community. They make sure everyone is taken care of. ... and they hold everyone to a high standard of conduct. If you are in the colony, you had better do it right.
It strikes me that ***boat is not a lot different from that. In many ways, we stick up for our buddies, we help each other out, and maybe it's not a bad thing when we encourage a member to step up to the plate and take care of their business.
Tom, you better get back to work coding the new postnuke forum or I might have to .... make a call.

Jbb
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Brown....the modern day Jim Jones......Kool aid anyone..... :jawdrop: ...Brownites...

spectras only
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Brown....the modern day Jim Jones......Kool aid anyone..... :jawdrop: ...Brownites...
ROFLMAO :D
Tom , you may want to visit this town :idea: :rollside: >
http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_poly1.htm

Sleek-Jet
06-16-2006, 06:15 PM
There was a spread on them (The Huterites) in a recent National Geographic... interesting reading.