PDA

View Full Version : eliminator or aos?? help!!

blown23vee
12-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Looking for some helpful & hopefully semi-educated hints or at least opinions on two cats...looking at a 25 daytona or 26 american offshore in which to plant my blown 468. Both boats are used, one a '96 & one a '98, the AOS is closed bow, the Daytona is open. Difference in speed w/equal power, ride in rough water, etc...I've been told AOS is lighter/faster, better in chop...any input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance everyone,
Rick
(blown23vee)

24ROD
12-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Rick, how about an opinion! I have always liked the Daytona wink

DogHouse
12-04-2002, 09:25 PM
Time to step up eh Rick? Good deal!
This thread is sure to start a war, but I'll throw in my opinions just for fun! Assuming correct X dimension (sorry Donnie!), the Daytona will be faster because of the elevated center pod. It's pretty tough to outrun a 25 Daytona hp for hp. The open bow will hurt top end by a few mph so maybe the two would end up running about the same. Most Eliminators also have great gelcoat and interior fit & finish work. The AOs that I've seen were not as "polished" as an Eliminator. Never having ridden in a 25 Daytona, I can't say much about the ride. The AO shares the same basic bottom as my Magic so I can say something about that... It does a great job in typical lake chop. I was out at Pleasant when the wind was blowing like hell and just flew right over the tops of the 3' swells that were rolling across the lake, no need to slow down. Even the confused chop on a busy Havasu weekend is no problem, put the throttle down, trim up, and fly!
I don't think there's any wrong answer here, both are great boats in their own ways. Pick whichever one has the style you want, drop that blown beastie in there and have some fun... Just make sure it's not faster than mine! :p
-brian

Charley
12-04-2002, 09:42 PM
The only thing the AOS really has on the daytons is freeboard.... aos will be a better Ocean boat and might have a bit more room too... I'd go with the Eliminator unless those 2 things are important to you.

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 06:52 AM
blownvee, you've road in donnie's and mine in rough stuff. why is there a question........

gmnhra
12-05-2002, 07:05 AM
my experience is with the daytona....i love my 25 open bow...great ride in lake chop and 2-3 foot wind chop...with the open bow and the lower freeboard i would be very cautious offshore...
mine is a 98 single step and they do have a slight porpoise between 60 and 75 mph (extra weight from the open bow may also contribute)...tunnel tabs or sponson tabs take care of it......
no bad choice between either but my vote would of course be the daytona...
gary

Boatmaster
12-05-2002, 07:05 AM
I own a 97 25 Daytona and love it. My buddy has a Howard 26 cat(same bottomas AOO). I happen to like the Daytonas ride better, But then again every farmers proud of his cow. Go for a ride in both before you buy, and you decide. Good luck their both great boats.

DogHouse
12-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Rick, forgot to mention that I'd be happy to let you drive the Magic if it would help your decision. It's probably a couple hundred pounds heavier than the AO but the ride and handling should be very similar. Hopefully the balance is about the same too because mine doesn't porpoise at any speed.
-brian

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 09:08 AM
hey brian, where was your avatar pic taken?
sean

DogHouse
12-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Sean, it was taken at Powell, Oak Bay to be exact. The water was way down this summer and exposed some little sandy islands in the middle of the bay. Made for a great camp spot. We named it "Full Moon Island" because it was a full moon that weekend and our kids were running around naked most of the time!
-brian

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 09:26 AM
lol!!! i havent done a trip to powell yet and would like to this year. next time we see eachother at the lake we should meetup.i've got questions about a trip up there. :confused:
sean
[ December 05, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: pleasantcat ]

DogHouse
12-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Sounds good. Powell is an amazing place, so many great things to see and places to camp. It'd be fun to get some of the locals together for a trip next year. AHBA usually goes in June and has a great time. Hopefully there will be a good snow pack this year that gets the water levels rising again next spring.
-brian

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 09:52 AM
i would love to get a bunch of us up there. i think it would be a lot of fun. let me know when your going to pleasant next. im going to try on sunday. have to svc the boat first.

DogHouse
12-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Let me check with the planning department and get back to you about Sunday. Unfortunately the planning department is also headed up by the CFO so sometimes it's difficult getting through the red tape! :D
-brian

FASTERDAMITT
12-05-2002, 10:22 AM
I know all you Elim guys are going to gang up on me (probably 100 Elims to 1 A/O on these boards), but does'nt the Daytona have a flat center sponson which would tend to pound the waves? And the Magic is heavy and not balaced the same as A/O. A/O has proven many years of winning races and everybody would'nt try to copy the boat if it was'nt one of the best.
All boats mentioned are great, so good luck!

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 11:37 AM
yes faster we have a flat center aka delta pad. i have not encountered any "banging" in rough water.im comparing this to my last boat that was one terrible riding hunk of crap. my daytona rides like a caddy :D :D

DogHouse
12-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Maybe we can do some side by side comparisons between the two bottom designs on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Where's Rick (remember him, the guy that started this thread :p ); is he available on Sunday?
I have tentative approval, how sure are you about going?
-brian

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 12:01 PM
i need to change the oil,plugs,chrg batts,fuel-up,fix a tire and i'll be ready. i'm going to try to get it ready the next two evenings and saturday afternoon.
i have time so i think noonish will work great.x-mas party the night before so i may be hurting....

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 02:00 PM
im pretty sure and rick said yes if we can get my boat done. let me know what time is ok with you... sean
last time rick was riding with me my boat had a terrible whine noise. it went away though :D
[ December 05, 2002, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: pleasantcat ]

DogHouse
12-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Was that the blower or Rick??? wink
I'll probably show up late morning, 11ish. No sense getting up early while it's still chilly out. Can you post a pic of your Daytona?

pleasantcat
12-05-2002, 03:30 PM
no blower so you know what it was :D
kool on the time i'll try to post a pic when i get home...
sean

blown23vee
12-05-2002, 06:49 PM
Hey Brian, no change of seeing Sean's pic any
time soon seeing as how he has no clue how to
post it (much like myself!!).
Couldn't have been the blower (oops, there isn't
one) but if I remember correctly it was Sean
doing the whining...some horsesh*t excuse about
bad fuel?? :D :D :D
he he he!!!!!!
Rick

blown23vee
12-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Oh, and thanks for the demo offer...just may take
you up on it. Hopefully hook up on Sunday.
Se ya!!
Rick

pleasantcat
12-06-2002, 09:06 AM
thats right blown. no blower on my boat. hhmmmmm 90's and no blower what a sled :D :D :D
how fast are you with one :p
just got the call from my daughter and sunday is a no go. she's got a deal with church that i promissed to attend. i will work on getting "the sled" ready so we can make a run out to the lake soon.....and im still trying to post that pic :mad:
sean

DogHouse
12-06-2002, 11:54 AM
I may still go out on Sunday if the weather is decent. I'm supposed to get a new water pressure gauge in the mail today so I'd like to install it and go out for a test. I'll send you & Rick an email with phone #s in case either of you can make it.
-brian

DogHouse
12-06-2002, 12:06 PM
Correction, I WOULD send you guys an email, but neither address in your profiles work! I'll try a PM instead...

pleasantcat
12-06-2002, 12:34 PM
brian, it worked before... i just checked my profile and that is my email adress. it's azseanster@qwest.net sean

DogHouse
12-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Oops, I'm a dough-head, can't spell. Oh well looks like you got the PM instead!
-brian

pleasantcat
12-06-2002, 03:54 PM
yep got your numbers and will cal if things change
sean

blown23vee
12-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Boy, I'm at work w/no computer all day I get way
behind...yea, Sean that's true, your Daytona is
slightly faster than my 23' Sleek frickin v-hull!! Do the math, buddy!! I could put 1500
frickin horses in that sled of a hull & it
would still only go 84, right before it killed
me from lake chop & no external steering!!!

blown23vee
12-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Hey Brian, i'd like to hook up on Sunday if your
gonna go to pleasant...take mine out one more time before I pull the motor out, & maybe check
out the way yours rides/drives like you suggested. My e-mail address is in my profile or
you can PM me -
Rick

DogHouse
12-07-2002, 04:38 PM
Sunday it is... Sent ya an email. I should be at the ten lane around 11ish.
-brian

blown23vee
12-07-2002, 05:42 PM
By the way, thanks again for all the helpful
hints!! It's much appreciated.
Rick
blown23vee

pleasantcat
12-09-2002, 04:48 AM
RICK, did you like the magic? its a nice boat isnt it. sorry i missed you guys out there. i did pull the boat out to start working on it tonight. chat with ya later.
sean

DogHouse
12-10-2002, 09:53 AM
First time I've ever been to Pleasant looking for choppy water and couldn't find any! It was pretty smooth out there, couple of boat wakes but nothing enough to make the cat earn its keep. Oh well it was nice getting out on the water and talkin' boats for a couple hours. After Rick left my little girl and I had lunch and cruised around a bit, not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon! Sean, let me know when you plan to go out again. Weekends are getting busy now with Christmas coming, but I'm thinking maybe a New Years Day run might be fun.
-brian

pleasantcat
12-11-2002, 09:46 AM
hey brian, yeah that would be fun on newyears. i'm working on that piggy of mine to get it ready. i'll check it out with the girlie and make sure.

pleasantcat
12-11-2002, 03:11 PM
how's bout it boys? it would be neat for the whole az crew to come out on newyears day. craig if you want your wife and yourself can ride with us.

blown23vee
12-11-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm all over the New Year's Day lake deal, If I
can get my other half's Holiday guests to agree
or just let me outa here for the afternoon!!
Rick (near future cat owner!!)

24ROD
12-11-2002, 08:21 PM
Rick (near future cat owner!!)[/QB][/QUOTE]
What's up Rick? What you thinking of getting?

Craig
12-12-2002, 04:00 AM
pleasantcat:
how's bout it boys? it would be neat for the whole az crew to come out on newyears day. craig if you want your wife and yourself can ride with us.Sounds like fun, but given that I'm having a New Years party again this year (you guys are invited :D ) We usually don't even crash until about 3 or 4 AM, getting up before say.....2 PM is kind of tuff to go boating!!!

pleasantcat
12-12-2002, 08:11 AM
thanks for the invite on new years. i think a day on the water will help what's hurtn' that morning.
we'll see... :D

DogHouse
12-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Sleeping in until 2pm, ha ha, that's a good one, you obviously don't have kids there Craig!!! Mine never seem to have much sympathy for how late mom & dad stayed out the night before! We're hoping to make it for the circle of lies this year but still need to confirm with the sitter. I'm sure any lake trip on New Years won't be happening too early!
-brian
[ December 12, 2002, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

Craig
12-12-2002, 09:36 AM
Cool, hope to see you guys that weekend. Should be a good supply of beer and Petrone :D

pleasantcat
12-12-2002, 12:48 PM
craig, let me know when, etc on my email....
sounds like lots of fun :D :D :D

blown23vee
12-12-2002, 08:16 PM
24ROD:
Rick (near future cat owner!!)What's up Rick? What you thinking of getting?[/QB][/QUOTE]
Hey Rod!! Trying to seal a deal on a 25' Daytona.
We'll see...
Rick (blownvee)

pleasantcat
12-13-2002, 06:30 AM
We'll see...
Rick (blownvee)[/QB]AND THE DAYTONA HE'S LOOKING TO GET IS A BEAUTIFUL BOAT :D :D :D

Charley
12-13-2002, 07:37 AM
pleasantcat:
We'll see...
Rick (blownvee)AND THE DAYTONA HE'S LOOKING TO GET IS A BEAUTIFUL BOAT :D :D :D [/QB]is it Trayce's Boat?

pleasantcat
12-13-2002, 09:38 AM
charley, i really dont know who's boat it is. i do know it's in cali white with yellows and purple. nice combo.
whens your 29 going to be done? have you taken any pics?
did anything ever come of the d**kheads that grabbed your stuff?

24ROD
12-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Rick, 25 Daytona is good boat I have always liked them! Good luck on the deal.
Carlos

Charley
12-13-2002, 05:47 PM
pleasantcat:
charley, i really dont know who's boat it is. i do know it's in cali white with yellows and purple. nice combo.
whens your 29 going to be done? have you taken any pics?
did anything ever come of the d**kheads that grabbed your stuff?Dave is almost done with the molds of the 29 at which point the first 29 should be about 2 months behind it.... I hope to see mine in the mold end of January...... I spoke with a reliable source that said they were very close to making a bust and that the names implicated might surprise a few...mmm thats all for now...not my place to spread speculation...DID I SAY THAT? :D

blown23vee
12-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Hey Charlie, what's up?? Long time no see- (Craig's bachelor weekend!!)
Do you actually know the boat I'm looking at??
Rick (blown23vee)

pleasantcat
12-14-2002, 09:01 AM
well charlie, that sounds great. your 29 should be ready for this season then.
as for the other i think there is nothing more to say if they are that close. i'll be very happy to hear the final story on this!!!

Charley
12-14-2002, 09:47 AM
blown23vee:
Hey Charlie, what's up?? Long time no see- (Craig's bachelor weekend!!)
Do you actually know the boat I'm looking at??
Rick (blown23vee)Hey dude...how are things?? obviously good if you are ready to make the jump :) as far as the boat you are looking at being the boat I'm talking about /// Maybe... Is it Trayce's, from KK 25 Daytona, quad rotor 540 etc.... its a 120 mph machine that just went up for sale but I thought it was blue and yellow and graphics like my 26...anyways just wondering..... I hope you get into the cat swing soon bro
:D

Charley
12-14-2002, 09:49 AM
pleasantcat:
well charlie, that sounds great. your 29 should be ready for this season then.
as for the other i think there is nothing more to say if they are that close. i'll be very happy to hear the final story on this!!!Thanks PC/// as soon as anything official comes my way I will spread it like wildfire
wink

pleasantcat
12-14-2002, 02:08 PM
hey charlie, did we meet at craigs bach party in havasu? my brother and i were with rick and he rode in my boat. just wondering

Craig
12-14-2002, 03:23 PM
pleasantcat:
hey charlie, did we meet at craigs bach party in havasu? my brother and i were with rick and he rode in my boat. just wonderingYou guys must have met! Sean, let me know if you got the e-mail about the New Years gig.

blown23vee
12-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Hey Charlie...nope, different boat - he's keeping his blown 540 (1471, no quad rotor) &
I'm buying (hopefully) everything else...just
drop my motor in & go!! Hope it all comes together!! I'll keep you posted.
Rick

pleasantcat
12-16-2002, 06:26 AM
hey craig, i haven't been home long enough this wekend to check my emails. i'll look at 'em tonight. sean

Charley
12-16-2002, 10:56 AM
blown23vee:
Hey Charlie...nope, different boat - he's keeping his blown 540 (1471, no quad rotor) &
RickOMG I think eek! this is DMB/DBM's boat.... I wonder what he's buying

pleasantcat
12-17-2002, 06:38 AM
craig, no emails at my house. shoot it to me here at work if you can. azseanster@yahoo.com

pleasantcat
12-18-2002, 08:07 AM
ok here we go, what does "lmao" mean??? i see this posted several times to people but, i haven't figured it out..

Reaper1
12-18-2002, 08:18 AM
LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off
ROTFLMAO = Rollin On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off
I think there is a website that explains all these abreviations.

XTRM22
12-18-2002, 08:32 AM
Charley:
blown23vee:
RickOMG I think eek! this is DMB/DBM's boat.... I wonder what he's buyingthat does sound like DMB's Daytona, and I did hear it was going to be for sale. If it is, can we start abusing Blown23Vee right away? Seriously though Good luck on the deal Rick it is a sweet looking boat.
Chuck

DogHouse
12-18-2002, 08:34 AM
Was DMB's an open or closed bow? I think Rick told me the Daytona he was looking at was open bow.
-brian

pleasantcat
12-18-2002, 08:41 AM
thanks reaper. sometimes i'm slow :confused:

Reaper1
12-18-2002, 12:23 PM
pleasantcat:
thanks reaper. sometimes i'm slow :confused: Me too! idea2

XTRM22
12-19-2002, 09:07 AM
DogHouse:
Was DMB's an open or closed bow? I think Rick told me the Daytona he was looking at was open bow.
-brianI think DMB's Daytona is open bow, so that's probably it. I only saw it from a distance at the sandbar, Movin!
Chuck

hulshot
12-20-2002, 08:19 PM
I have the 26 Howard that Boatmaster is refering to. his boat may feel better in the soup than mine probalby because it has 2 outboards and mine has a blower motor. There is a lot of weight diffence between the two. I have been in big chop at 60+ and the AO felt pretty stable and flat. Turning feels somewhat better in an AO than an elinminator only due to its lower center pod being I have owned both, will give up a little speed for the freeboard and stability in turns and on bigger water. I like both. good luck.