PDA

View Full Version : Boat Accident...

maxwedge
06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
This is from the local news here...hit a phucking barge at full throttle!!! Ouch!!! .....
Boat collides with barge on Illinois River
By Mark Welp
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 2:16 PM
PEORIA -- Three adults were sent to the hospital after the speed boat they were riding in crashed into a barge early Thursday morning.
The owner of the boat was an off-duty Peoria police officer.
Shortly before 1 a.m. the speed boat rear-ended a moored barge on the Peoria side of the Illinois River. Police arrived on the scene shortly after witness Richard Mynhier called 911.
"We were sitting down here camping, we heard this boat roaring down the river,” Mynhier said. “He came around the corner, towards Peoria. He had it about full throttle, and just slammed right into the back of that barge. It hit, spun around."
Paramedics removed two men and a woman from the boat. Witnesses said two of them appeared to be seriously injured. A hole is torn in the speed boats bow and the windshield is destroyed.
"I never seen anything like that in my life," Mynhier said.
Authorities with Peoria, Creve Coeur and the Department of Natural Resources were on scene to help.
There was alcohol on the boat, but police don't know if it played a role in the accident.
Police aren't yet sure how fast the boat was traveling and another factor is the darkness.
The barge was lit, but itÂ’s unclear if the boat driver ever saw it.
"It may be several days before we get answers to the questions we have," Department of Conservation Law Enforcement Sgt. Jim Dever said.
The Illinois River reopened several hours after the accident.
Illinois conservation police are still investigating.

Jordy
06-15-2006, 02:35 PM
There was alcohol on the boat, but police don't know if it played a role in the accident.
Wow, if that would have happened in Havasu it would have read "alcohol was a factor" whether it was or not. I think that's a standard line in any boating incident out here. :notam:

RitcheyRch
06-15-2006, 03:23 PM
That had to hurt.

RiverDave
06-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Wow, if that would have happened in Havasu it would have read "alcohol was a factor" whether it was or not. I think that's a standard line in any boating incident out here. :notam:
Becuase the driver of the boat was a cop is the reason they extended the courtesy of wording the usual "Alcohol may have been a factor" to "We don't know if it was or not" They both say the same thing, but one is oh so leading.. LOL
The owner of the boat was an off-duty Peoria police officer.
Shortly before 1 a.m. the speed boat rear-ended a moored barge
"We were sitting down here camping, we heard this boat roaring down the river,” Mynhier said. “He came around the corner, towards Peoria. He had it about full throttle, and just slammed right into the back of that barge. It hit, spun around."
Witnesses said two of them appeared to be seriously injured.
The barge was lit, but itÂ’s unclear if the boat driver ever saw it.
Alcohol or no alcohol, hauling ass at night will get ya killed or atleast "seriously injured." If you haven't gotten killed or seriously injured yet, it's not a question of "if" but rather "when."
Much like I've said in ALL my drinking and driving threads.. I could really give a shit if somebody is "impaired" (not plastered can't walk drunk) behind the wheel of a boat at night. So long as they had to idle it home what's really the worst that's going to happen? Some gel coat damage? Might be some really odd instances where someone gets tangled up with a prop, but that's rare and few and far between, and far less often then all the fatalities at night that happen from "speed" and lack of vision, experience and most importantly disorientation (remember that guy that launched his Nordic over a picnic table in Havasu?) etc..
If this guy was drunk as shit, and not hauling ass, and still didn't see the bardge I mean literally until after he hit it..(which at idle speeds would almost be unbelievable but who knows?) Would they be in the hospital right now? Probably not.. No news article, no "alcohol was probably a factor" b.s.
RD

Phat Matt
06-15-2006, 03:38 PM
(remember that guy that launched his Nordic over a picnic table in Havasu?) RD
I believe that was a Shockwave and he was a pilot so it was ok. :p

Hardly Satisfied
06-15-2006, 04:12 PM
very sad to hear ,hope they will be all right

boater72
06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
RD says.
I could really give a shit if somebody is "impaired" (not plastered can't walk drunk) behind the wheel of a boat at night."So long as they had to idle it home what's really the worst that's going to happen?"
There are a lot of things that could go wrong if he is "imparied" One off of my head could be boat is at idle on there way home and forgot to turn his/her running lights on and another boat with driver not imparied hits him (due to the fact that driver with lights off was imparied not plastered). I am sure boat cop aka "Alan" could come up with a few more things that could happen as I know I could go on with more things that could go wrong. Why take the chance if you are impaired? If something happens all bets are off insurance is void etc.

maxwedge
06-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Update....
Owner/driver was an experienced boater, but with a brand new 25' boat, they didn't say what brand, but it was fast enough that the witness on TV news described as "...flat movin'..." All three people still in critical condition.
I would have to agree that, after midnight, hauling ass around a dark corner on the Illinios river where there are always barges parked, and frequently a bunch of debris floating around...probably a bad idea.

trailerpark_tj
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Update....
Owner/driver was an experienced boater, but with a brand new 25' boat, they didn't say what brand, but it was fast enough that the witness on TV news described as "...flat movin'..." All three people still in critical condition.
I would have to agree that, after midnight, hauling ass around a dark corner on the Illinios river where there are always barges parked, and frequently a bunch of debris floating around...probably a bad idea.
Weird to see a story from your hometown, I grew up in East Peoria pretty much on the river every weekend. I really miss that brown water :220v: .

ratso
06-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Doubt he was drinking, being a cop and all...
Now if it had been an angry hose dragger... totally different story. :idea: :D

maxwedge
06-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Go here and watch the news video from the boat accident. Sorry I don't know how to link it:
http://www.week.com/Story.aspx?type=ln&NStoryID=51662
I love that the guy says, "That thing has to have a 455..." lol. :D