PDA

View Full Version : New cam break in

cave
06-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I drove to Bartlett lake today to break in the new cam. Nice day to be out there. Its a Clay Smith Jet boat grind . Before the motor would just go flat @ 3900. I could get it to 4200 but its wasn't a jet boat cam.
I got yelled at after a 10 minutes of running the engine at 2500 rpms on the trailer. Crybaby jet skiers. Heck they were on the other side of the cove. This is my first time breaking in a cam in a boat. The end result was music to my ears. Just a tiny bit of a lope. I'm Happy. Everything looked good under the Intake.
Check it out if you have time
new cam break in (http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/cave13/?action=view&current=ClaySmithcambreakinmpg.flv)

junkyardhunter
06-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I am running a claysmith 306 solid, what grind do u have & how well does it run.

cave
06-15-2006, 07:49 PM
H-280-8-BHL
Not a radical cam. Just the right cam for a jet boat. I would of liked to get the H 300 but I just wanted a better a working cam for the boat. As soon as I tapped the throttle I felt the difference. The motor responds quicker too. I added timing gears rather than the chain. I could barley hear the gears. New hydraulic lifters from Clay Smith. The springs were fine for this grind.

junkyardhunter
06-15-2006, 08:16 PM
sounds like u got the right one.

Squirtcha?
06-15-2006, 08:44 PM
H-280-8-BHL
Not a radical cam. Just the right cam for a jet boat. I would of liked to get the H 300 but I just wanted a better a working cam for the boat. As soon as I tapped the throttle I felt the difference. The motor responds quicker too. I added timing gears rather than the chain. I could barley hear the gears. New hydraulic lifters from Clay Smith. The springs were fine for this grind.
I've been running the H-300 for the past three years (going on the fourth season). Been real happy with it. Clay Smith makes a nice cam.

cave
06-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Dan I can see why you fellas like Bartlett. Other than the pissed off jet skiers Its a cool place to not only to boat on but kick it on the beaches. If you get there early enough. I was at up at the flats. Nice day too.
I think I'm going to like this set up. Maybe this coming winter I'll do the heads and bump up to the 300. Your boat sounds and works great. Still remember that ride without a chicken grip.lol. Yeeeee HAwwww

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Im glad that it worked out for you jimmy. I also have a clay smith(304 solid) grind and I love it! If you notice the time I am just finishing up a 19hr day with 3hrs of sleep:eek: I would have told the jetskiers to kiss my ass. They dont own the lake. I am surprised to see that many people out there on a weekday..

TJS
06-16-2006, 04:40 AM
That is cool. I know what you mean about people complaining.
Here is how I broke my cam in. I built a run in stand that has a complete closed cooling system. It will run small blocks and big blocks. I did however have the cops at my house because of the neighbors called the cops. Good thing I broke the cam in before the cops came. They just told me to keep it shut down. Here are some pics.
T.J.
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild14.jpg
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild15.jpg
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild16.jpg

cave
06-16-2006, 04:42 AM
I know you've been busy Mike. Let me know if you and the crew are rolling to Saguaro Sunday. Your motor sounds pretty stout.
TJS, thats nice! My neighbors are pretty cool but I think they would ban together if I did this here at home. I start the quads to keep the carbs from gumming up. My neighbor to the south is a retired NFL football player and they all party till 4am so we have a good trade off.

TJS
06-16-2006, 04:55 AM
Cave,
The funny thing about my neighbors who I think called is that I plow their driveway when it snows (yes in the Northeast). So no more favors. Also they have college age kids that have parties in the Summer till wee hours too and I never complained. :mad:
T.J.

DelawareDave
06-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Here is how I broke my cam in. I built a run in stand that has a complete closed cooling system. It will run small blocks and big blocks. I did however have the cops at my house because of the neighbors called the cops. Good thing I broke the cam in before the cops came. They just told me to keep it shut down. Here are some pics.
T.J.
Nice little setup. Maybe some old water cooled logs with a hose hooked up would make it a little quieter and keep the neighbors off your back. Since it is only used for cam breakin, etc, the performance shouldn't be an issue for testing.

speed freak
06-16-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm also running a Clay Smith cam (300-H). When I asked them how I should do the break-in they (Clay Smith cams) told me to set the timing and immediatly go run it hard. Not to idle around. They said I didn't need to "break it in" like others say to do. JUST RUN IT ! :cool:

cave
06-16-2006, 06:41 AM
I figured to do the same but I'm old school. Better to be safe than sorry. I did talked to them via email. I was told to run it at 2500-3000 while adjusting the carb and setting the timing. Then get on it. I'm sure I'll have some minor tuning to do to get the full effect. I'll get on this weekend if my starter doesn't crap out again. Thats a whole nother issue.

FASTRAT
06-16-2006, 07:24 AM
I'll get on this weekend if my starter doesn't crap out again. Thats a whole nother issue.
good to hear Jimmy...sounds like a good cam!...i like the "noisey" gear drive myself lol :)...now u need to go get a "good" starter so u can start that thing lol
fastrat

CP Dad
06-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Glad to hear the cam is working good for you. I've had some trouble breaking in a Comp solid cam, not huge, but I think it's around a 280/610. It's gone flat twice, now I get to pull the motor down and clean out all the shavings. I've been told by several builders that there is a new issue with motor oil due to EPA regs and that it is no good for cam break in any more. They recommended a rotel oil by Shell that is primarily for diesels. After break in, then change the oil and go back to whatever you were running. Anybody else heard of this? I guess it's my own fault because I didn't take the inners out for break in.

Taylorman
06-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Glad to hear the cam is working good for you. I've had some trouble breaking in a Comp solid cam, not huge, but I think it's around a 280/610. It's gone flat twice, now I get to pull the motor down and clean out all the shavings. I've been told by several builders that there is a new issue with motor oil due to EPA regs and that it is no good for cam break in any more. They recommended a rotel oil by Shell that is primarily for diesels. After break in, then change the oil and go back to whatever you were running. Anybody else heard of this? I guess it's my own fault because I didn't take the inners out for break in.
You heard right. Either use Rotella Diesel oil or there is an additive that i think comp has or gm has for break in. Actually you can run rotella all the time, i do along with many others with no problems. Rotella has more or the elements that provide lubrication. There was an article in car craft a while back about this.

460 jus getn it
06-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Good deal jimmy. Glad everything went well. I m not sure if im going out sunday, but ill be out saturday afternoon. Have to make sure the starter is up to par....Motor sounds good.

RECORD7JET
06-16-2006, 09:08 AM
T.J.
I do mine at home also. I have two of those long cherry bomb mufflers you get from Kragens. There a straight through type muffler that is about 2 1/2' - 3' long. I had the guys at the local exhaust shop expand the ends to the ID of my header & just slide it in the ends of the headers. Use the screw for the baffles to lock them in place & run it. Its not loud at all & Id rather hear any problems as soon as posable instead of waiting for it to get loud enough to hear over open headers.
So I have $40 for the two mufflers that are just like a few other tools I have. Just for one purpose. Then back on the shelf for the next time.

cave
06-16-2006, 09:25 AM
CP Dad The Clay Smith cams basically don't need a "break in" according to their tech people who answered my email. They recommend that you run the engine at 2500-3000 rpms while setting to timing and making any adjustments to the carb. then get on it. I'm just stubborn. Didn't know about the new oil problems. Maybe you should call Clay Smith up or equivalent cam maker and see if they got a cam in your specs.
By the way your CP looks Great!!!
I hope I didn't mess anything up running it on the lake while on the trailer at those rpms. Time will tell. The break in was also for the gear drive.
You guys how do this at home with you home built deals are freaking inventive.
Ty good to here no oil leaks.lol. Cant wait to see you and Mike in the water.

460 jus getn it
06-16-2006, 09:30 AM
CP Dad The Clay Smith cams basically don't need a "break in" according to their tech people who answered my email. They recommend that you run the engine at 2500-3000 rpms while setting to timing and making any adjustments to the carb. then get on it. I'm just stubborn. Didn't know about the new oil problems. Maybe you should call Clay Smith up or equivalent cam maker and see if they got a cam in your specs.
By the way your CP looks Great!!!
I hope I didn't mess anything up running it on the lake while on the trailer at those rpms. Time will tell. The break in was also for the gear drive.
You guys how do this at home with you home built deals are freaking inventive.
Ty good to here no oil leaks.lol. Cant wait to see you and Mike in the water.It will be soon enough. Boat is running good, had some volt and starter issues last weekend....Glad to see things are running well.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Weren't you sucking rocks and dirt while running at those rpms on the trailer?

SmokinLowriderSS
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
A bit over a year ago when I broke my Isky custom in, I was on a concrete ramp and stayed in fwd, not getting into reverse. Had no troubles.

cave
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Weren't you sucking rocks and dirt while running at those rpms on the trailer?
Nope I was at a purdy good angle Cant tell by the pic. I stood in the boat and watched for the silt. At first there was a bit cause I had it in reverse. I stopped the motor then waited a bit then started it back up with the diverter up a bit. tied the boat sides to the trailer then turned the rpms up
Its steep up there at Bartlett flats. To the left of the entrance. You know the place right.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Its steep up there at Bartlett flats. To the left of the entrance. You know the place right.
Yup I know the place. Lots of sand and gravel! Glad it worked well for ya.
On I side note, does your truck have a jetboat sticker and a license that says "caveman"? If so I saw you in Chandler the other day and I tried to get your attention but lost you at a light.

cave
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Yup that was me. Sorry when driving in Chandler I drive with Gun in between the seats and put on the angree face. Other wise the illegals try to jump on the Tahoe. lol. J/K I work across the street from Town & Country MS. Was probabley on my way to the lake or home.
There is a beach there with the usuall sand, gravel but I didnt see any real rocks. You may be right. I'll let you know Monday.
Like Canuck says "Whats alittle mud and gravel" It aint no race boat.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Yup that was me. Sorry when driving in Chandler I drive with Gun in between the seats and put on the angree face. Other wise the illegals try to jump on the Tahoe. lol. J/K I work across the street from Town & Country MS. Was probabley on my way to the lake or home.
There is a beach there with the usuall sand, gravel but I didnt see any real rocks. You may be right. I'll let you know Monday.
Like Canuck says "Whats alittle mud and gravel" It aint no race boat.
I thought that was you.
I guess the reason I ask is because my motor is nearing the completion stsges so I am contemplating the ways to "break it in". I think I am going to uncouple the drive line and hook a hose to it and wait for the popo to come. Maybe I'll do it in the garage with an oxygen supply so I don't die from carbon monoxide. Your boat-in-the-water-on-the-trailer idea isn't sounding half bad anymore! Can't wait!

cave
06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I suggest a week day. And if you get the spot on the second rise to the left its allot steeper. You need a 4 x for sure. Have we met at Saguaro? If not we prolly will if I my starter can make it through the rest of the summer.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-17-2006, 01:03 AM
I suggest a week day. And if you get the spot on the second rise to the left its allot steeper. You need a 4 x for sure. Have we met at Saguaro? If not we prolly will if I my starter can make it through the rest of the summer.
Nope, I doubt we have met. My boat has been out of comission for awhile. I'm just now finishing up the new motor. Last time I had this boat on Saguaro was about 2 years ago. I have been getting by bumming rides on a buddy's I/O Chris Craft and my old Sport Jet boat that I just sold. Jet boat gas runs through my veins :220v: I do know Michael and Tyro and a few other guys (who have been helping me get my ride back in shape) however. You can bet I will be out there all the time very soon.
Here's a pic of the ride just in case. I usually hit up Bartlett or Saguaro.
http://myspace-841.vo.llnwd.net/00110/14/87/110397841_l.jpg

cave
06-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Cool. S.K.O.M. Hope to meet you out there. I like Bartlettbut its 106 miles round trip. Not to bad. I just hate Pima Rd. zyou would figuer that with all the Multi Million Dollar homes out there the road would be smother. The beaches are worth the trip. I checked the jet out after what you said about the gravel. I did see some on the trailer step on the back. Dont know how much entered the pump. It may have been from the 1st start up when I had the diverter down and in reverse. I hope :cry:

454-ways-to-go
06-17-2006, 02:23 PM
awesome to hear you got a new cam. hope to see ya out sometime this summer!!!

cave
06-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Yup. Soon I hope. I'm trying to get all my house crap done so I can go tomorrow. Its looking bleak.

SBC Jetboat
08-12-2007, 08:23 PM
The issue with engine oil today is a lack of ZINC. They don't use it in many oils any more because everything is roller these days, and maybe emissions has something to do with it. Shell Rotella T diesel oil is what to use at least during cam break in, I always use it. I run SAE 40 Shell Rotella all the time. You can buy an oil additive from Summit or Jegs which adds the ZINC for ya. Either way, use the ZINC for hydraulic cams. Its like the old leaded gas. The lead cushioned the valves.

Wicked Performance Boats
08-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Just run racing oil. I've never lost a cam But I break them in on the water hose at the shop first. hydraulic or solid non roller. F--k the neighbors! Budlight:D

SHAWNINATOR
08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Clay Smith does some good stuff. Were family friends and I worked there for 3 or 4 years through high school. one of the coolest places too work as a shop boy.

Big Kahunaa
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
whats a contact info for clay smith im gonna go roller this winter looking for a grind and some knowledge its for a ford

SHAWNINATOR
08-13-2007, 02:25 PM
714-523-0530 Ask for george. Hes got a thousand years of boat/drag racing experience. All around guru in the engine building dept.

cave
08-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Claysmithcams@aol.com
This is the e-mail addy I got from them if the phones are busy. Great people to talk to or email. The more info you have on your motor the easier it will be for them to hook you up with the correct grind.
I'm a happy customer.