PDA

View Full Version : Noobie need help System for 28' deck

zbestfam
06-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Boat is built and its time to add the stereo system.
I have had many people tell me what I should run and still I have a no ideas for my system. Its a Aftershock 282 Deck boat, Its a family boat and I want a mild system maybe (2)10" subs and (6) 6 1/2" mids or (4) 6 1/2" and (2) 6x9??? I dont know... Can someone recomend a some speekers and what amps I will need, as well as a good head unit I can remote to the front and back of the boat.
I have about $3500 to spend and a good installer to install it.
Thanks in advance for the help
Zbestfam :rollside: :cry:

Tom Brown
06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I can't help you with the stereo question but I wanted to say "Hi" to the new user of my ID. :D
I created that ID a few years ago. You may remember why. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25292&page=1&pp=50)

zbestfam
06-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Tom,
I still have that 21' Ultra what a great boat it has been, a 502 and a nice pump..Fun and fast. I have been to Havasu many times with it, it now has a tower on it also. I hate to get rid of it but I now have the 28' cat. If I do it wont be on EBAY.....
Thanks,
Joe
Zbestfam :yuk:

Jesster
06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
I just finished the install on my 28' AO Deck. I went with 2 Kicker KX850's and a PG X600.1. I'm running 4 Polk MOMO 6.5's, 4 Polk MOMO 6x9's and 2 PG Xenon 12D2 subs. I'm using 2 Odyssey 2150 batteries and charging them with an IOTA DLS-55 charger. I installed a Sony 7815 HU and XM. The system sounds great. The swivel tweeters in the 6.5's make a huge difference when mounting the speakers so low. I also installed 1 of the new Sony wired remotes on the transom and have another one for the front swim step area but need an adapter so I get display from both remotes. I did the installation myself for about 2500.00, but there was a lot of time spent looking for deals, and even more time on here asking questions and looking at old posts for install information. If I remember right the 282's drivers pedestal is part of the mold, seems like a good place for subs, but hard to control the enclosure volume (Ft^3). If you have questions post them or PM me. I will be in Havasu all weekend though. Good luck.

zbestfam
06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the info I am not sure I have that much room for speekers. I only have room for 2 subs and 6 round Plenty of room for amps though.
I could still use some more suguestions..
Thanks
Joe
zbestfam

Tom Brown
06-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Joe,
Your question may be a little broad. Asking for a stereo recommendation is akin to asking about the best car to buy, under $35K. There are probably as many answers to your questions as their are choices.
There are lots of good choices. Personally, I would try to make sure to run class D power to the subs and, if you want to run a head unit, make sure it has an iPod interface. I've read that some guys are running just an iPod as a head unit.
You might want to figure out your source preferences. Also, how long do you need it to be able to run with the engine off? If you need a lot of run time, that will put a dent in your budget too.
Lots of choices. Lots of right answers.

ROZ
06-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Lots of choices. Lots of right answers.
Yeppers :D

Partycattin
06-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I ran a upper end Sony Head unit, XM, Changer.
2 JL 300/4 amps
6 Infinity 6x9's
1 JL 10
The 10 inch woofer is running off the back two channels of 1 amp. Seems underpowered IMO. I will likely add a set of JL separates mounted up high and get a separate amp for the sub.
I think it sound very clean and can run a long time. Have received many compliments on it. Cost was about $3k for the equipment.
I think Mr. Brown is right, there are many options. After having my system for awhile, I would rather have an IPod setup versus the disc changer.

Tom Brown
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Ha. I bet I could squeeze 26 speakers in that thing easy. :crossx:
Not even a speaker per foot? WTF?

zbestfam
06-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them comming. I am using a little from everyone. Can you use the sony marine remote for all sony HU's??
Thanks again
Joe
zbestfam

zbestfam
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Do the subs need to be boxed??

zbestfam
06-24-2006, 12:14 AM
I was looking at the new Sony Mex-1gp head unit what do you think?? Also could I put the subs under a seat or do they need to be in the open air?? I am using (4) 2150's batteries what do I need to charge them??
Thanks for the help
Joe
PS Nice job on the topcat BOB where did you pick up the radio cover??

zbestfam
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Bob
I Live in Menifee CA could you do my install??? Looks like you do nice work.
You can email me your Tel# at zbestfam@msn.com
Joe
zbestfam

Transonic---Mike
06-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with ShockwaveBob. The new Alpine PDX amps are nothing short of spectacular. They are physically very small, they do not draw much power from your batteries, they sound great and yet they still go loud. My store sells JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, Sony, and Alpine. For the boat application there is no better choice then the Alpine PDX amps.
You can use 1 PDX1.1000 for your subs, 1 PDX 4.150 for your vocal speaker if you use 4 pr, and if you go with 6 pr of vocal speakers, you can add PDX2.150 for the last two pr.
I would use the JL 10w6 or 12w6 for your subs and you should always use a box. The sound will be light years better.
I know that the Sony CD players are popular for the marine application but the Alpine CDA9857 is sonically superior to any Sony. You can use the Access Technologies MRC2 remote with the Alpine but you will need either a PAC or Peripheral steering wheel adapter in order to make it work. You will need to make a small modification to the adapter but it is not a big deal.
I would use the Pierced Vocal speakers (of course that is my speaker line) but there are many other good choices that you can go with depending on where you buy your products.

zbestfam
06-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Mike
Thanks for the Information. I am still checking into HU's and I will look at alpine..
Joe

Tom Brown
06-25-2006, 09:40 PM
I know that the Sony CD players are popular for the marine application but the Alpine CDA9857 is sonically superior to any Sony.
Sonically superior to any Sony? With class D amps? :idea:
BTW, I've never much liked Alpine. I know some of their stuff is good but I think they're one of the most over-hyped brands going.

zbestfam
06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Tom
What remote would you use with that HU???
Joe