PDA

View Full Version : Almost Lost My Anchor This Weekend In Havasu

SUBPRIME
06-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Ok, so I'm pulling into this cove on the Ca side east of the Island, real long one that snaked in the back. Well it was windy as hell on Sat. late in the afternoon so I anchor somewhat in the middle due to the fact that I figured the boat was going to be moving slightly anyway. So I toss my anchor out (I'm on the front on the boat wearing my polarized glasses) and I notice something that looks real square under the water.... and I think my anchor passed over this... well we hang out for an hour and half or so and the boat hasn't moved at all in the cove as the wind was blowing like hell that day. Deciding to leave for the day start pulling up my anchor figuring I'm snaged on something.... well looking in the water it has to be a car or a bardge or something and I can tell that my anchor is caught in some kind of hatch or opening maybe a couple feet by a couple feet!!! So anyway I wrestle this thing for 30 minutes trying to get it free (I have to give it slack and try to float it into the middle of the opening and then pull it up) FINALLY it comes loose.
Does anyone know anything about a sunken bardge or car or something in this part of the lake???

phebus
06-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Are you sure it wasn't some of the fish hotels?

SUBPRIME
06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Fish Hotels???
what you talkin about willis??

voodoomedman
06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Ok, so I'm pulling into this cove on the Ca side east of the Island, real long one that snaked in the back. Well it was windy as hell on Sat. late in the afternoon so I anchor somewhat in the middle due to the fact that I figured the boat was going to be moving slightly anyway. So I toss my anchor out (I'm on the front on the boat wearing my polarized glasses) and I notice something that looks real square under the water.... and I think my anchor passed over this... well we hang out for an hour and half or so and the boat hasn't moved at all in the cove as the wind was blowing like hell that day. Deciding to leave for the day start pulling up my anchor figuring I'm snaged on something.... well looking in the water it has to be a car or a bardge or something and I can tell that my anchor is caught in some kind of hatch or opening maybe a couple feet by a couple feet!!! So anyway I wrestle this thing for 30 minutes trying to get it free (I have to give it slack and try to float it into the middle of the opening and then pull it up) FINALLY it comes loose.
Does anyone know anything about a sunken bardge or car or something in this part of the lake???
Ummmmm depending on what cove you were in. Would need a name or something maybe. For instance, Steamboat cove is named that because there is a sunken Steamboat somewhere around there from before it was a lake. Jeeps cove I think there are Jeeps or something. There's lots of stuff down there. But what I think it really was especially if you were close to the island is a fish hotel. There are these huge cages all over the lake especially in the lesser known and used coves that are safe habitat for the endangered fish that the big fat bass and catfish will eat up.

SUBPRIME
06-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Well just for the story's sake I hope it was a sunken steamboat some sunken fish hotel sounds boring.
I would think that they wouldn't put stuff like that down in the middle of a cove in the busiest part of the lake???
Good thing I was sober, if I had been wasted (which I don't boat that way!) I would've lost me shiznit

SUBPRIME
06-15-2006, 09:24 PM
It would be even better if it got caught on a sunken strip bar!! :)

Phat Matt
06-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Yep, probably one of the many fish habitats.

Kilrtoy
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
There are lot of fish habitats and they are large metal cages for a lack of better description, in these coves and there are alot of them....
HB shoots alot of there shoots in these coves as they are usually empty

Ziggy
06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
There are lot of fish habitats and they are large metal cages for a lack of better description, in these coves and there are alot of them....
HB shoots alot of there shoots in these coves as they are usually empty
Those habitats dominate several coves accross from the island south to Copper...many of the indian res coves have them.
Variations of styles, many are cages, some look like giant propellers. The prop looking ones are rubbery and gross from algae grouth :yuk: :yuk: , the cage types are usually PVC .....alot held in place by old car tires(maybe why you thought car).
Fricken erie to swim over them, my daughter hates to be by them.....we've nicknamed them "contraptions"----LOL

Outnumbered
06-15-2006, 10:34 PM
This thread reminded me of a pic we took a few weeks ago at Temple Bar on Mead. This old boat must be at least 50 years old and would be in about 90 feet of water at full pool. When we were checking it out I was thinking how erie it would be to pull up on it when it was just under the surface :skull:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973DSCN5904.JPG

Outnumbered
06-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Those habitats dominate several coves accross from the island south to Copper...many of the indian res coves have them.
Variations of styles, many are cages, some look like giant propellers. The prop looking ones are rubbery and gross from algae grouth :yuk: :yuk: , the cage types are usually PVC .....alot held in place by old car tires(maybe why you thought car).
Fricken erie to swim over them, my daughter hates to be by them.....we've nicknamed them "contraptions"----LOL
I've never seen one. How deep are they? Seems like you could kill yourself on one if you dove in and didn't see it under the surface.

Wake Havasu
06-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Could have been:
http://www.trip-n-tour.com/micronesia_2003/main_s33.jpg

Outnumbered
06-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Could have been:
Truk Lagoon?

JetBoatRich
06-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Well just for the story's sake I hope it was a sunken steamboat some sunken fish hotel sounds boring.
It may sound boring :rolleyes: just make something up :rolleyes: the kids love that stuff, maybe an old pirate ship or something :rolleyes:

Hardly Satisfied
06-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the good info, Always wonder how they got there and what they were for.

lalhc
06-16-2006, 05:45 AM
You can see the habitats pretty clear on weekdays when there's no wind. The waters not as clear on the weekends

lewiville
06-16-2006, 07:28 AM
if you were on the cali side, i know that there are seneral things over there. for one, there is a b-29 or something just out front of havasu landing. copper canyon has copper mine undernieth it.
I love the pirate ship story, I have to remeber it when I lose my anchor some day.

Beer-30
06-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Could have been:
Ejection Cove? :)

SUBPRIME
06-16-2006, 08:14 AM
by how much line was left when I finally got the anchor loose it couldn't have been more than 8-10 deep, I know the water level has been low but that would suck to be idleing back into a cove and catch a prop on one of these fish hotels.
whatever I was hooked on looked to be pretty large and rectangle, that's why I thought it could have been a bardge

Water Romper
06-16-2006, 08:31 AM
The pictures in this thread look cool,,,Old boats, planes etc…makes you wonder what else is below your boat while floating. :squiggle:
I suppose you could have jumped in the water and dove down to see what your anchor was hooked on however, aside from it being creepy, it’s also dangerous…you could get trapped in some weird contraption then you could become fish food at the fish hotel :2purples:

Ziggy
06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
The pictures in this thread look cool,,,Old boats, planes etc…makes you wonder what else is below your boat while floating. :squiggle:
I suppose you could have jumped in the water and dove down to see what your anchor was hooked on however, aside from it being creepy, it’s also dangerous…you could get trapped in some weird contraption then you could become fish food at the fish hotel :2purples:
Now you know why we have nicknamed them as such......
Daughter will be on rock lookout when approaching a shore and start screaming, "Not here, there's a contraption, eeeeeewwwwwwww!!!!"

Schmick
06-16-2006, 01:49 PM
you're welcome to my old anchor
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/video/thumbs/peta.jpg
I'm done with her

Outnumbered
06-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Then you will enjoy this link:
Lake Mead B-29 Bomber (http://www.indepthconsulting.com/B29/B29Lost.htm)

Not So Fast
06-16-2006, 01:59 PM
We were at the south end by the Springs a while back and decided to leave. I start pulling up the box anchor and it is coming to me but getting really hard to pull so I yell at my son (lots bigger and stronger) to come do this little chore. he can pull it but it is hard for him too. Finally get the darn thing up to the surface and guess what. You know the line of bouys that marks off the no wake zone, well they are tied off to a 5/8" or 3/4" cable that runs across the entire lake there and the anchor is caught on it. Got it loose but thats what was there alright :D NSF

HocusPocus
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
we were across the lake from site six and scouting for a place in a quiet cove.. we got directly on top of one.. it was large white and round. kinda strange looking, i told the wife it was probably alien space craft of some kind that crashed there. :)

Bense468
06-16-2006, 02:10 PM
I am pretty sure it was a fish habitat. There are a bunch on the cali side across from sight 6. There are also a lot more on the AZ side down the whole lake in the coves. You can usually see them pretty well, they are not that deep normally. Maybe 15 feet. with the water being low, puts it about the depth you were talking.