PDA

View Full Version : 25 Shockwave/Catalina

rollin24/7
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I have 25ft Shockwave and am considering making a trip over to Catalina. Wondering how safe it is to make this trip and what is neccesary to have on the boat to make the trip? ie: radio, dingy, etc? How is the water once you are past the mile marker? Any advice from those who have made the trip is much appreciated. Thanks.

Kilrtoy
06-15-2006, 09:44 PM
I have done it once in a Shockwave, Very nice ride....
becareful. leave early come back NO LATER THAN 1PM..... Swells get big in the afternoon.
GPS, a must
VHF radio to transmit in case of emergency
A full tank of gas

rollin24/7
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing there and back?

Kilrtoy
06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Much appreciated! Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing there and back?
We were running about 60 to 65 on the way back, I was in a 38 Fountain on the way there,
BECAREFUL..... It is a whole different world.
Hopefully some ocean people will chime in, I really know very little about the ocean...

rollin24/7
06-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Me too......the only ocean experience I have is Lake Mohave 2 weeks ago and the 6ft swells in the basin.....................did I mention that mohave...........well you know! thanks for the advice.

Family4Day
06-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Our 26 Laveycraft runs it no problem. There are guys on here with great tips and advice-all very informative! GPS, VHF, Float Plan and run it with some other boats! It makes the trip fun and makes for a good crowd to have bloody mary's with on the island. Having another boat is a safety as well. The float plan idea I got from someones post on here and I have done one ever since. Just nice to have someone on dry ground know where you are, going, returning, etc. Post when you are planning a trip, I'd be game and I'm sure there are a few others that would be as well.
Todd

rollin24/7
06-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Sounds good. It will probably be a few weeks from now. Any word on what the price is to dock there for the night?

MarkyMark
06-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Rollin, I have made this trip in my closed bow 25 Tremor about 4 times. I would leave Davies around 8:00am and would make it to the island about 8:40. We would eat breakfast and leave around 12:30. We cruised around 50-60 mph depending on water. If you can stay the night that would be the best and leave the next morning. On our way back to the ramp we would stop at the Yard House. Take a hand held VHF,GPS, and cell phone. If you can cross with another boat I would, it's just safer that way.

HMF'er
06-16-2006, 12:27 AM
I'd be up for a trip. How about sometime in August. We can have ShockwaveBD lead the way.

purrfecttremor
06-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Who the hell is shockwavebd :) :)

Tremor Therapy
06-16-2006, 06:24 AM
He is the Ultra low man on the totem pole at another boat manufacturer!
And as far as the 25 going to Catalina....its a snap. I have done it half a dozen times myself in my old Tremor. Lots of good advice already given here, and the 6 foot seas are a bitch....but you just need to slow down and cross safely in big water.

Dawn Patrol
06-16-2006, 07:02 AM
I think we are going to Catalina on Sunday July 2nd. We are pretty flexible, so let me know when you are planning to go. We should get a few boats and caravan over. :)

Quality Time
06-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Sounds good. It will probably be a few weeks from now. Any word on what the price is to dock there for the night?
No docks. Mooring cans only. During the summer getting one on a Saturday in Avalon is hit or miss. Heading over Friday morning is a better bet. I suggest you run with others. Running in Lake Pacific is a whole new ball game. You will get to know the handling characteristics and be able to run your boat better with seat time in the ocean. I suggest you do a few runs up and down the coast before jumping in and running straight to Catalina.
Be safe, have fun and you will have a great time.

rollin24/7
06-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the safe advice :) I will post the dates that we are going to go a week or so ahead of time. One last question...any special cleaning/flushing need to be done to the boat afterwards being in the salt water?

Starloans
06-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Ah....let me see here. I'll give you a brief rundown.
Tell someone where you are going, be back, etc.
Try to get some other boats to go in case someone breaks down.
Take a radio. Cell phone may not work.
Take a GPS and learn how to use it BEFORE you launch. Set waypoints and take note of courses.
Make sure you have all coast guard required items, especially life jackets and fire extinguisher. That sounds stupid but do it anyway.
Take extra tools even if you have a DCB. :cry:
Did you say 25' boat? Take some plastic bottles with caps if you don't want piss on the side of your boat. I personally take the big Gator Aid bottles because they have a big mouth and I have a big............well never mind.
It you take chicks with you the Gator Aid ones work for them unless they have a big........well never mind.
CHECK THE WEATHER BEFORE YOU GO. Ideal weather is swells less than 2 ft and wind waves less than 1 ft. 2 ft swells are not bad as long as the the interval is long. Less than 15 second intervals and it could be bumpy but not bad. Ideal wind is less than 10 knots. Weather (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/)
If you get lucky with light wind, 1ft swell, 18 second interval you should be able to straight arm it to Catalina. No lake lice to watch out for. :rollside:
When and if you make it to the Island, stop at he sea bouy and wait for the harbor police. They will come out and assign you a moring and take your money. You and your passengers should not get smart with the Po Po. Keep your mouth shut.
You will then learn how to do a forward and aft mooring on your boat without scratching it up, if you're good. There will be a pin sticking out of the water and you will have to pull the mooring line up from the bottom and hook the bow and stern of your boat. You will get your hands dirty.
After you figure that out and wonder WTF do they use that kind of mooring for you can call the water taxi on your new radio and tell them which mooring you're at so they can pick you up. Oh yeah, forgot, Learn how to use your radio BEFORE you get to Catalina.
Remember which mooring you parked at. Write it down if you have memory probs, especially if you're drinking. You'll want to get back to your boat.
The bars are right at the end of the pier. You'll figure that out.
Print this list and take it with you.
Well that wasn't as brief as I thought it was going to be.

ChumpChange
06-16-2006, 07:45 AM
In my best Havasu Hangin voice.......DCBs don't go in the Ocean.

Steamin' Rice
06-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Looks like things have been covered pretty well here - I know lots of people in 25 Shockwaves who have made trips to Catalina with no problems. Just be prepared to turn around and head back to shore if it is a really rough day out there.
Don't forget to go to West Marine and buy some Salt Away to use for flushing your boat when you are finished, and bring your own hose and quarters with you to use when flushing your boat if you launch in Newport.

Playbuoy
06-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Take a GPS and learn how to use it BEFORE you launch. Set waypoints and take note of courses.
Make sure you have all coast guard required items, especially life jackets and fire extinguisher. That sounds stupid but do it anyway.
Did you say 25' boat? Take some plastic bottles with caps if you don't want piss on the side of your boat. I personally take the big Gator Aid bottles because they have a big mouth and I have a big............well never mind.
It you take chicks with you the Gator Aid ones work for them unless they have a big........well never mind.
CHECK THE WEATHER BEFORE YOU GO. Ideal weather is swells less than 2 ft and wind waves less than 1 ft. 2 ft swells are not bad as long as the the interval is long. Less than 15 second intervals and it could be bumpy but not bad. Ideal wind is less than 10 knots. Weather (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/)
If you get lucky with light wind, 1ft swell, 18 second interval you should be able to straight arm it to Catalina. No lake lice to watch out for. :rollside:
When and if you make it to the Island, stop at he sea bouy and wait for the harbor police. They will come out and assign you a moring and take your money. You and your passengers should not get smart with the Po Po. Keep your mouth shut.
You will then learn how to do a forward and aft mooring on your boat without scratching it up, if you're good. There will be a pin sticking out of the water and you will have to pull the mooring line up from the bottom and hook the bow and stern of your boat. You will get your hands dirty.
After you figure that out and wonder WTF do they use that kind of mooring for you can call the water taxi on your new radio and tell them which mooring you're at so they can pick you up. Oh yeah, forgot, Learn how to use your radio BEFORE you get to Catalina.
Remember which mooring you parked at. Write it down if you have memory probs, especially if you're drinking. You'll want to get back to your boat.
This is great advice. Also, if you can plan your trip so that winds are slightly offshore, that should make for pretty smooth conditions.

SUBPRIME
06-16-2006, 08:24 AM
I think we are going to Catalina on Sunday July 2nd. We are pretty flexible, so let me know when you are planning to go. We should get a few boats and caravan over. :)
I will be doing a trip to catalina that same day! it would be nice to meet some other ***boaters over there. Which harbor do you pull out from?

rivercrazy
06-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I also have a 25 Tremor (closed bow) and have made the trip a number of times. Its one of the best riding 25's out there and handles big water well for its length.
Check out this website for pretty accurate wave forecasts. http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=nowcast&xitem=socal_now
The longer the swell interval the better. I've been out in 4-6 footers with no problems but the interval was 13-15 seconds with very little wind waves. Its the combination of larger swell and wind waves that will create conditions you should avoid. Also check the forecasts for fog. Heavy fog creates dangerous conditions that should also be avoided.
Like others have said - its better to go over with a group. And make sure your boat is in top condition.
Make sure you bring the following:
* VHF Radio (and know what channels to call for help on) Its a good idea to have a spare radio
* GPS (and know how to use it). A backup is a good idea
* Cell phone
* Flare gun
* All required safety gear
* Lots of extra anchor rope
* Extra clothing including a weather proof jacket.

Dawn Patrol
06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
I will be doing a trip to catalina that same day! it would be nice to meet some other ***boaters over there. Which harbor do you pull out from?
We launch out of HH. Let me know.

DILLIGAF
06-16-2006, 09:05 AM
That has to be one of the best, informative posts I have read about going to Catalina. Thanks.

Mandelon
06-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Long Beach to Avalon in 26 minutes....Lavey 21 Open Bow....
Just do like Starloans says and pick a flattish sort of day....we only got airbore 3 or 4 times.....
VHF is a must to get a ride back from the mooring can. If you are cheap, let out your passengers on the dock so they dont' have to pay the water taxi ride... LOL

nordy racer
06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
it's a easy run, i do it myself in my outlaw 23.. like everyone states, LEAVE EARLY when coming back.. i made the mistake on coming back around 3:30pm one time :220v: .. thank god for the catalina express, i stayed right in her wake. if it wasn't for that i would still be out there.. Hit me up when you want to head out there, i'm game :) .
Mike

Steamin' Rice
06-16-2006, 09:44 AM
If you guys are planning to go to Avalon on July, keep in mind that it's a holiday weekend and you might have a tough time getting a mooring. Moorings are assigned on a first come, first served basis and you cannot reserve them. You can call the harbormaster in Avalon at 310-510-0535 and ask them if they are full or not before you head out. You can also consider going to the Isthmus at the other end of the island - it's smaller than Avalon and usually has moorings available.

Pipe Dream'n
06-16-2006, 05:52 PM
We took our new Tremor to Avalon for the first time this April. It took some convincing to get the wife to make the trip, but she came around. :p
The day we made the trip, the swells were 2-3' at 15+ second intervals. The ride was not bad at all. We did 40-50MPH the whole way there and took in the scenery (about 40 minute ride). The wife loved seeing a pod of dolphins swiming just off the bow! There have been other times when we've boated around LB where the waves were 4-5' at 8 seconds and would not have even thought about making the crossing (for fear that the wife would never boat again :cry: ). You just have to keep an eye on the marine forecast before you decide to take the plunge.
We'd be interested in making a trip out with some new people. In fact, we were thinking about trying to make a day trip to the island to watch the Long Beach Offshore Power Boat race on the 9th of July or the ski race on the 8th. Even if we don't get a mooring, I figured we could sit outside the harbor and watch the boats run. If nothing else, its another fun day on the water! Has anyone watched an offshore race from Catalina before? Is this a bad idea? I have no idea how crowded the harbor or ramps at Davies or HH will be.
Mike
P.S. Moorings in Avalon go for $22 a night.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3184Catalina.JPG

nordy racer
06-16-2006, 06:25 PM
plus 9 bucks per person one way for them to come pick you up. then 9 again to drop you off at your boat. that adds up if you have a group with you..

Pipe Dream'n
06-16-2006, 07:05 PM
When we were out in April, they only charged about 5 bucks each way per person. I hope they havent raised it again! Your right Nordy, it starts to add up; especially if you are staying for a couple of days. I've kicked around the idea of getting a small inflatable to row to the dinghy dock :cool: .

nordy racer
06-17-2006, 09:59 AM
When we were out in April, they only charged about 5 bucks each way per person. I hope they havent raised it again! Your right Nordy, it starts to add up; especially if you are staying for a couple of days. I've kicked around the idea of getting a small inflatable to row to the dinghy dock :cool: .
i was just out there last month and was 9 bucks each way.. caused by gas price increase i guess :cry: ...

Quality Time
06-17-2006, 10:06 AM
$5.00 is the "off-season" rate.
BTW, about two years ago, a group of forum memebrs got together an impromptu Catalina run. Sounds like it's time to do it again :rollside:

cola
06-17-2006, 10:19 AM
I wish my boat was home. I'd be over there today.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268120_2038.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268120_2029.JPG
RIP - We'll tell you the story after you get home from Catalina.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268120_2031.JPG

MBlaster
06-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't see the problem...my brother in law crosses regularly on his Honda turbo aquatrax. He just goes with a buddy and they carry vhf and a gps.
He's even gone from MDR to Avalon and back on the damn watercraft.
...Course he's insane but thats a different story.

Havasu Hangin'
06-17-2006, 01:02 PM
The water will dictate your speed, so if it gets rough, you'll just need to slow down (like the lake)....
...and bring a big ass snap hook for the front mooring rope.
In my best Havasu Hangin voice.......DCBs don't go in the Ocean.
That's because slugs and snails don't like salt, I guess.
:D

Beer-30
06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
If you value your trailer appearance, have it lifted in with straps for a nominal fee.
As Tremor Therapy chimed in, he put his in many times. My friends bought that boat from him. They were already planning on having the Extreme Galva-Tube trailer stripped and repainted from all of the little rust specks all over the white paint.
We just replaced the rear bunks on that same trailer and the welded on bunk-tabs are rusting the paint right off from the bunks down toward the trailer. All of the tabs have bubbled paint. The steps in front of the fenders are bubbling as well, all from the salt dippings.
Additionally, I just helped replace the rear tail lights with LEDs. When I removed the rubber grommet, there is rust all around the light opening where the grommet held the saltwater there. Also, the inside of the trailer rails looks like they're 15 years old. That damn saltwater is a killer!
Some people don't really mind all this stuff happening to a trailer, which is fine. I absolutely will not do it, after seeing the damage on an '03 trailer. I will pay whatever to have the boat lifted in and out. The closed cooling will save the motor, so I am not worried about flushing the cooling or outdrive. There is just no way you can get ALL of the salt out of the metal trailer, welds and such.

Pipe Dream'n
06-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I have an Extreme galva-tube trailer and paid the extra money because I knew I wanted to take the boat out into the big blue. The trailer looks like its put together well. The inside of the tubes are coated in a waxy substance and holes are drilled in the bottom of all the enclosed tubes to let water drain. I flush fresh water in all the drain holes every time I clean up from an ocean run. I would be really disappointed to see it rust away in 3 years :mad:. We'll see in a few years if it was all worth it!
The steps in front of the fenders are bubbling as well, all from the salt dippings.
I've always wondered if the peice of diamond plate on the fender step would eventually trap enough salt to damage the trailer. Thats the first place on the trailer I would expect corrosion to start.
..and bring a big ass snap hook for the front mooring rope.
This is a good idea. I picked up a couple of large stainless steel anchor line hooks from Home Depot for just this purpose. They work great. :rollside:

cola
06-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Your trailer wont get rock chips from the road if it sets in the garage either. :)
Late, Mike

SUBPRIME
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I'll be heading out of newport around 9ish in the morning, don't think we're gonna do catalina with the late start probably crystal cove (or emerald bay?? not sure which one it is, I've heard it called both) it's only a couple miles south of newport harbor and you can anchor in the cove for the day. It's a pretty spot to hang for the day without making the whole trip over to catalina.
If any ***boaters will be around stop and say hi!!

rivercrazy
06-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I have an Extreme galva-tube trailer and paid the extra money because I knew I wanted to take the boat out into the big blue. The trailer looks like its put together well. The inside of the tubes are coated in a waxy substance and holes are drilled in the bottom of all the enclosed tubes to let water drain. I flush fresh water in all the drain holes every time I clean up from an ocean run. I would be really disappointed to see it rust away in 3 years :mad:. We'll see in a few years if it was all worth it!
I've always wondered if the peice of diamond plate on the fender step would eventually trap enough salt to damage the trailer. Thats the first place on the trailer I would expect corrosion to start.
This is a good idea. I picked up a couple of large stainless steel anchor line hooks from Home Depot for just this purpose. They work great. :rollside:
I also a galvatube trailer under my Tremor. I've launched in the salt many times and have no rust issues. Perhaps Tremor Theropy's trailer really isn't Galvatube......

shockwavebd
06-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd be up for a trip. How about sometime in August. We can have ShockwaveBD lead the way.
Anytime.......pick a day.

Mad Props
06-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Even with a great boat like you own I still would purchase a Sea Tow membership. It cost about 130.00 and is cheap compared to 900 to 1300 bucks. Don't make another ***boat pull you it would be hard on the equipment. ShockwaveBD gave me the membership for Christmas or Bday and I really apreciated it when I broke my drive out by Avalon last Labor Day.

Beer-30
06-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Perhaps Tremor Theropy's trailer really isn't Galvatube......
That's a good point, and I have thought that also. It sure isn't acting like galvanized.

ToMorrow44
06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Alright so when's the Catalina run on? I heard someone say July 2nd? Anyone else in for this?
-Tom

dicudmore
06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
looks like most of the safety/advice part is already handled so I'll just say go for it, and have a great time...its a whole different experience out there :cool:
BTW, there's a Cheetah in that pic...what the hell is that doing there? :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1268120_2031.JPG

Shockwave 25
06-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Rollin,
I've done the trip a few times in my 25 Tremor, my advice is to check the water conditions for a few days before you leave. Take off early in the morning and return mid morning the next day. Also, the biggest thing I can say is don't push it, the Mother Ocean can turn in minutes so if it looks like it will change plan on it changing and turn around. There is always another day.
The first time I went over with my wife, as soon as we got there we talked with the harbor master and he told us there were 35knot winds heading straight there, so we turned around and headed back. Didn't even step foot on the island. But the next time we took a couple of friends and our 2 year old son, made it there in no time and had smooth water to and from.
Take a VHF radio for safety and to contact the harbor taxi, GPS, mirror, cell phone, and let someone know when you are leaving have them call the coast guard if they don't hear from you at a designated time.
Have fun and be safe. Ocean boating is more demanding, doing 80MPH on a flat lake has nothing on doing 60+ in the ocean. Work the throttle and look ahead.

spectras only
06-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Rollin,
Take a VHF radio for safety and to contact the harbor taxi, GPS, mirror, cell phone, and let someone know when you are leaving have them call the coast guard if they don't hear from you at a designated time.
Have fun and be safe. Ocean boating is more demanding, doing 80MPH on a flat lake has nothing on doing 60+ in the ocean. Work the throttle and look ahead.
I've been crossing the straight for decades between vancouver and vancouver island , and prefer to go with others just in case. Sea tow is handy , but may take some time to reach you in an emergency. This video is a bit deceiving and looks like small chop , but imagine loosing power and the weather turning ugly. We have winds picking up to 25-35 kts occasionally, and only a sea anchor would keep you relatively safe, in case of engine failure.My buddy's boat behind me is 34' and still took some water over the deck as well as I . If your boat a bow rider ,you have to be extra careful not to stuff in big swells. Have a fun and safe trip.
http://media.putfile.com/a-little-choppy-in-the-strait
http://media.putfile.com/typical-Georgia-strait-crossing