PDA

View Full Version : Sticky foot throttle

MBlaster
06-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I noticed my foot throttle sticking and leaving the idle about 3-400 revs too high.
If I use my sandal and pull up on the pedal, it goes back to normal.
Tomorrow I'm going to investigate further.
Any thoughts from the guru's?

Some Kind Of Monster
06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
I noticed my foot throttle sticking and leaving the idle about 3-400 revs too high.
If I use my sandal and pull up on the pedal, it goes back to normal.
Tomorrow I'm going to investigate further.
Any thoughts from the guru's?
Does the cable have a relatively straight course to your carb? Did something happen to crimp it? You may just need some lube ;-)

El Prosecutor
06-16-2006, 06:48 PM
I had a similar problem and the cable was damaged inside the engine compartment, where the jacket had been rubbed through by the alternator pulley.
BTW, I ordered a new one from Rex Marine, and it got here the next day.

Moneypitt
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
There should be spring inside the pedal assembly. Those things get kinda coroaded, rusty, weak and/or broken. Could also be the carb linkage.........MP

blown428fe
06-16-2006, 07:12 PM
My cable was a little bent where spring is under foot assembly. I bent it back to where it looked straight and shot with liquid wrench. Its mint now.

john
06-16-2006, 09:10 PM
My cable was a little bent where spring is under foot assembly. I bent it back to where it looked straight and shot with liquid wrench. Its mint now.
thats the same thing i did just a little bent (pain) made it straight a little lube it worked like new

79Challenger
06-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Mine was actually rubbing in side the base. I lost, or never had, a washer at the pivot point. The pedal started to rub inside the base. Couldn't tell until it was all apart. Smoothed the aluminum all out and added a washer. Smooth as silk now.

h2oboy
06-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I had the same thing happen to mine, and after looking at it all my Mother had the great idea to not mess with trying to fix what was wrong. I figured she was right and went out and spent the 30-40 bucks to get a new cable and be done with that problem... Learned early when it comes to safety fix it right!!!