PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!....Another Havasu Channel Fatality !!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Apparently an 8 to 10 year old boy drowned while playingÂ…..
The Channel was closed down for a couple hours late in the day while they searchedÂ…..
They found the boy a while laterÂ…Â…
Anyone know anything else ?
Very sadÂ….
R.I.P.
CJG
:frown:

Biglue
06-17-2006, 07:39 PM
How upsetting. There is way too many of these accidents happening so early in the season. Most of them have invloved young children. My heart goes out to the family.

OutCole'd
06-17-2006, 07:52 PM
:frown: :frown:

Boatcop
06-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Latest News:
WEB EXTRA: Boy, 10, dies in Bridgewater Channel; Body of missing boater found
BY DAVID BELL
Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:11 PM MDT
At approximately 5:45 p.m. Saturday, Lake Havasu City Police rescue divers searching the Bridgewater Channel recovered the body of Austin Tyler Patin, 10, of Mission Hills, Calif. Cause of death is pending investigation.
The boy was reported missing just after 3 p.m., last seen in the water near his family's boat beach on the mainland side of the south Channel near the inlet of Thompson Bay.
It's the fifth death on Lake Havasu this year, the sixth on the Colorado River. In February a 67-year old California woman died when her watercraft crashed into the lake's shoreline, in April a 14-year old Washington boy died in a two-boat collision near Site Six and during Memorial Day weekend a 17-year old girl died on the river near Circle Beach when she reportedly turned her personal watercraft in front of an oncoming boat.
The body of David Ramsey, 54, of Riverside, Calif. was recovered Saturday. He went missing following the collision of two boats on June 3 near Jopps Harbor Cove. And last weekend 13-year-old Juan Cortez drowned in the designated swimming area of London Bridge Beach Park. Investigations in the circumstances surrounding both Ramsey's and Cortez's death are ongoing.
For more information, see Sunday's print edition of Today's News-Herald.

lalhc
06-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Very sad news. We, as parents, always have to be aware of our children when around water.

Jyruiz
06-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Very sad, our prayers go out the them.

25Elmn8r
06-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Exactly the news I didn't want to hear tonight. We were there praying they would find him anywhere but the water. Sad Sad news.
Rest in Peace Austin!

RitcheyRch
06-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Such sad news. Too many deaths.

shueman
06-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Sad news indeed.... :cry:
But WTF is going on down there that these kids are drowning...?? :220v:

Midlife Advantage
06-17-2006, 09:29 PM
had to wonder. WTF? I am coming out next weekend with my niece and two of her friends, I will be on pins and needles all weekend, just trying to keep them outta trouble and alive. Can't we all just be safe?

Warlockjer
06-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Man, that is so sad....I really feel for the family.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-17-2006, 10:24 PM
:confused:
So now I'm just sitting here................. :cry:
I just picked up my sound asleep 7 year old boy & 5 year old girl up out of the living room bean-bag chairs, kissed them and tucked them into bed.....after a wonderful, long day of boating.......what a perfect day it was.......Like all Summer days should be......
My wife is sound asleep and.....for the moment.....the whole family is safe..
I'm here at the kitchen table.....on the laptop......trying NOT to imagine the agony and sheer hell that parents and family members are going through at this very minute.......
GOD please comfort the parents and family....and bless that poor little sole......
CJG

Wake Havasu
06-17-2006, 10:53 PM
How awful.
So they found the body of the man that was in the eleiminator in the two boat teacher crash.

UncleLarry
06-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Under 12 wear a life jacket.....
Under 12 wear a life jacket....
if you can't swim wear a life jacket...
so simple why DONT you do it?

RiverRatMike
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Under 12 wear a life jacket.....
Under 12 wear a life jacket....
so simple why DONT you do it?
well said I totally agree!

OGShocker
06-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Chris,
It was good to see you earlier. So sorry to hear of this tragedy. We have always put safety over comfort. Our son has very sensitive skin and rubbing up against his vest will inevitably cause a rash. I hate to see him in so much discomfort, but we will always make sure he is safe.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this young soul. We pray some day they find peace. May God keep this young boy close to the throne and forever in his grace.
Life is a flashbulb, blink and you miss it. Hold those dear to you close, every moment of every day!
Mark

Red Horse
06-18-2006, 03:31 AM
I think it might be a couple of things. First someone said lifejackets. SMART to do so.
That and there is so much going on. So much to see and I think people look at something, pretty girl, hot boat, altercation something and next thing you know someone is missing.
This is a tragedy. Young man had so much life ahead of him.
Everyone please be careful. :cool:

Red Horse
06-18-2006, 03:33 AM
Chris,
It was good to see you earlier. So sorry to hear of this tragedy. We have always put safety over comfort. Our son has very sensitive skin and rubbing up against his vest will inevitably cause a rash. I hate to see him in so much discomfort, but we will always make sure he is safe.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this young soul. We pray some day they find peace. May God keep this young boy close to the throne and forever in his grace.
Life is a flashbulb, blink and you miss it. Hold those dear to you close, every moment of every day!
Mark
Back when I was a kid lifejackets had a mesh that would eat the skin right off of ya. My Mom took an old T shirt and cut it down where is rubbed me. Shoulders, upper arm and chest. Like the shirt your wore under your football pads. Long enough to cover, not long enough to look stupid.
Just .02

shueman
06-18-2006, 04:16 AM
had to wonder. WTF? I am coming out next weekend with my niece and two of her friends, I will be on pins and needles all weekend, just trying to keep them outta trouble and alive. Can't we all just be safe?
We arrive Sunday for our first week of the season. Having our kids and their friends with us makes the trip that much more special. You really have to :hammerhea it into their heads about saftey, just like you have to do about everything else.
Don't know the whole story yet, but should NOT happen, period.... :frown:
On-Line Herald Pic that I don't EVER want to witness in person...
http://www.havasunews.com/content/articles/2006/06/18/news/news02.jpg

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Chris,
Mark
Hey Mark,
Good seeing you too....
Yep!....By the end of each boating day my kids are so rashed up on the hips and under the chin that they can barely move.......
They both have rash guards, but dont like to wear them. By morning they are ready to go again, but during a 3-5 day trip, their skin is a mess......
It's getting hard to keep the vest on my son as he will be 8 very soon and wants to dive and swim with the other, older, boys who aren't wearing PFD's.....At what age do I let him swim without it....12 like Larry said?
Sometimes my son will take it off when were not looking and moan when I tell him to put it back on. He's a great swimmer and does Surf Camp in the Summers and want's to do the Jr Lifeguard thing, but I'm too paranoid to let him take it off for a long period of time....
When we were at Steamboat yesterday I was floating around talking and he swims out to me and grabs on, well, I turn around and he's not weafing his PFD.....Im thinking....this water is deep and if he bumped his head when diving in off the boat, he'd be gone and no one would have seen or heard a thing until it was too late.......
Thats how fast it happens even to the best parents......
Can you over-think this too much ??
Later,
CJG
:idea:

vmjtc3
06-18-2006, 07:37 AM
We always have some one take turns watching the kids. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 13. And even at that we dont let them swim alone. When they are in the water one of us has an eye on them at all times. It is the same with the adults. If one of us is in the water then someone is either in with them or watching them. Accidents can happen to anyone. I think people who are on hot boat all the time are very aware of how many deaths there are due to not wearing pfd's. But a lot of people who are first timers probably dont think much of it figuring they will just watch there kids good. It is a sad thing but I just think some people are not aware of the risk in a lake vs there home pool they are normaly swiming in. I fully expect to see some laws in effect about pfs's on kids in the water as well as the ones we already have for inside the boat. It is a very sad day and the parents will probably never fully enjoy another day of there lives. :cry:

MBlaster
06-18-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm speachless.
These death threads are freaking me out.
I'm going to be watching the kids like a hawk this season.
Please be careful out there everybody.
Damn...

Schiada76
06-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Chris,
Mark
Get him a Lycra boogie board shirt. They are very comfortable and they have them in cool styles that the kids love.

phebus
06-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Like SNS does, you must teach water safety. Life vests are life savers, but don't rely solely on them.

Hardly Satisfied
06-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Wow, just when I think I have dealt with the worst day of my life last week with my son, it's like a picnic compared to what these parents must be enduring. I can only imagine the extreme loss they are delaing with. I am proof that horrible things happen to good, safe people. I truly believe these children go swimming and come up and not realize that they are around the boat and bang their heads, what a simple tragedy to avoid. My son who is 2 1/2 years old even wants to put his life jacket on when the boat is on the trailer. I will admit that I have not always made my kids wear their jackets, even though they don't complain, when we are beached because I am always watching them, but after all this I believe I will have to change my outlook on this.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends and those river folks who had to endure the search and witness them bringing the body to shore. I hope I never have to see that in person.
Ed and Kathy

a catered life
06-19-2006, 05:45 AM
so was the child not wearing a jacket at all? i make mine wear a vest and they can swim....their little arms and legs get tired so i make sure they can float.........

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-19-2006, 06:13 AM
No....No PFD....
On another thread here, Matt posted from a source that said the kid was swimming across the Channel to the other side and didn't make it....
Police suspect accidental drowning......
They are looking at carbon monoxide poisoning, but don't think that was the cause.
Heres Matt's post........
By TONY RAAP
Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:30 PM MDT
Lake Havasu City Police suspect the drowning of a California youth Saturday was accidental.
Police will not have any definite answers until the medical examiner's report comes back.
“But everything indicates that it's just an accidental drowning,” Lt. Mike Reynolds of the Lake Havasu Police Department said Sunday.
Police found Austin Tyler Paten, 10, of Mission Hills, Calif., on the Bridgewater Channel's south side at about 5:45 p.m. He tried to swim across the Channel, which is a violation of city code, Reynolds said. He was not wearing a life jacket.
There was no indication as far as bruising that would indicate that a boat struck him, Reynolds said.
The police do not suspect Saturday's drowning was due to carbon monoxide poisoning, Reynolds said.
The CERT team, a volunteer group for the LHC Fire Department, took a carbon monoxide reading just before the drowning, then just after. Carbon monoxide levels were not above the unhealthy range, said Reynolds.
“We don't suspect it based on the surface readings,” Reynolds said of carbon monoxide poisoning. “But you never know.”
“But again, until the medical examiner's reports come back we won't have any definite answers on anything,” he said.
The county Medical Examiner's Office declined comment. It generally takes three days to a week before police get any information from the medical examiner, Reynolds said.
Not so smart & way too sad....
Later,
CJG

purrfecttremor
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
I cant believe this keeps happening.As it turns out this poor 10 year old is my neighbors cousins son and i just found out a little while ago.I stress no alcohole invoved as his dad was on the beach and his 17 year old brother had gone to the restroom. What a tragety!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-19-2006, 08:29 PM
It makes me ill to think of the phone call that the father had to make..... :(
CJG
:(

Throttle
06-19-2006, 09:20 PM
I really layed it on my kids thick this weekend... "I'm watchin you". These stories are just soo sad, I do not want to see any more of them, keep it safe, watch your kids and someone elses too, you can never have enough eyes on the water watchin them.

hallett21
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Latest News:
was this the same search that was on the river?? our prayers go out to the family. A piece of advice for all people though is go to a nice sandy beach when you guz have kids. Im not a parent im only 15, but i have a younger brother so i can only imagine the pain of losing him. If your there to party and hagout then fine but to save lives take yourself out of a bad situation ahead of time. Dont got to a congested area with little kids.