PDA

View Full Version : So sad

phebus
06-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Another child had died on Lake Havasu.
The body of Austin Tyler Patin, 10, of Mission Hills, Calif., was recovered in the Bridgewater Channel Saturday. Cause of death is pending investigation.
The boy was reported missing just after 3 p.m., last seen in the water near his family's boat beach on the mainland side of the south Channel near the inlet of Thompson Bay.
Police immediately began a search of the shoreline extending to Rotary Park to the south and the English Village to the north in the hopes that the boy had simply wandered off. Four members of the Lake Havasu Community Emergency Response Team joined police officers in the search.
As officers and volunteers continued the shoreline search for the missing child, Police Lt. Joe Fiumara donned scuba tanks and took to the water. Meanwhile police boats stationed themselves at the southern end of the channel, at the mouth of Thompson Bay, turning away boats. A pontoon boat set up north of the area in which the child was last scene to also restrict boat traffic in the search area. Any boats beached in the area were ordered to shut down and were not allowed to move until the search of their area was completed.
As more officers were called to the scene, Fiumara was joined in the water by officer Rob McBride, while auxiliary officer K.C. Dreller stayed on shore. As Dreller held a rope to Fiumara and McBride, the two searched the Channel bed inch-by-inch until they found the boy. The body was recovered in about 10 feet of water, about 20 feet from shore, at approximately 5:45 p.m.
Officers wrapped the body in a white sheet before pulling it out of the water and placing it on a gurney. As the gurney was wheeled to a waiting Medical Examiner's vehicle, the child's father identified the body.
Just prior to the call of the missing child, Today's News-Herald spoke with medical personnel that were testing the area for carbon monoxide as well as providing assistance for those suffering symptoms of heat, dehydration and other summer-related ailments. They reported conditions as “OK” and said they received few requests for help.
“There are no words.”
That was the response of one of the officers on scene, watching as parents tried to cope with the loss of a child. Family members and friends rallied to the boy's parents. Lake Havasu City Police officers, CERT members and city staff on scene offered condolences, support, even hugs to the family in their time of need.
One teen girl, unrelated to the family of the missing boy, who had been watching the search, broke out in tears as the body was brought on shore. The crowds lining the shore acted as one as a boat approached the blockade, its sound system blaring hip-hop music. Crowds demanded the boat's operator turn off the music in deference to the family.
When asked why the lake and river has seen so many young people die in 2006, one officer said, “We've been very lucky for a long time. It looks like our luck ran out.”
It's the fifth death on Lake Havasu this year, the sixth on the Colorado River.
In February a 67-year old California woman died when her watercraft crashed into the lake's shoreline, in April a 14-year-old Washington boy died in a two-boat collision near Site Six and during Memorial Day weekend a 17-year old girl died on the river near Circle Beach when she reportedly turned her personal watercraft in front of an oncoming boat.
The body of David Ramsey, 54, of Riverside, Calif. was recovered Saturday (see accompanying story). He went missing following the collision of two boats on June 3 near Jopps Harbor Cove. And last weekend 13-year-old Juan Cortez drowned in the designated swimming area of London Bridge Beach Park. Investigations in the circumstances surrounding both Ramsey's and Cortez's death are ongoing.

Mohave Vice
06-18-2006, 06:09 AM
This is beyond words. My thoughts, prayers and tears go out to the family. I really can't say anything else.

MayDaze
06-18-2006, 06:35 AM
Wow very very sad....

termiteguy
06-18-2006, 06:42 AM
pfd for all children regardless. and on fathersday weekend as well how sad for that family allways watch your kids

Kilrtoy
06-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Horrible, horrible, My prayers go out to the family

OutCole'd
06-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Terrible news! So sad for the whole family.

06-18-2006, 09:32 AM
This is so sad to hear and on fathers day, my prayers go out
to the family

LHC Kirby
06-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Children drown without a sound . . . .
Please watch them ! ! !

little rowe boat
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a 21 month old,so this kind of incident scares the crap out of me.

vmjtc3
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM
:cry: :cry: what else can you say. And on fathers day :cry:

phebus
06-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Before we had our daughter, I used to think "What is wrong with these parents?", and "Why weren't they watching their kid?". But after being a parent, you realize how quick things can happen, and you really feel sad rather than mad when you hear of incidents like this.

little rowe boat
06-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Before we had our daughter, I used to think "What is wrong with these parents?", and "Why weren't they watching their kid?". But after being a parent, you realize how quick things can happen, and you really feel sad rather than mad when you hear of incidents like this.
These things break my heart. I can't even imagine their grief.

Starloans
06-18-2006, 01:45 PM
:frown:
This is sad news. I can't believe this. For the people who don't live here or read the paper here, they may not know how dangerous this place is. My heart goes out to the family.
But I have to say this. I've been coming to the lake and river since 1998. I almost died in 2001 when a drunk jet ski driver t-boned me on my jet ski. Broken hip, life flight, etc. So I have a clue. I also have a 14 yo son.
Parents and gardiens have got to take some responsibility. Just because your kid is a few feet away in the channel or on a sand bar doesn't mean they are safe. Not in this place. Not any place. How many kids and others have to die? It's dangerous here. I can't count the times I've seen parents go to the channel, the sandbar, etc and they are partying with friends, themselves, etc. and their kids are running around unchecked. I know everyone doesn't do it but many do. This is just sad. In my opinion, there is not much difference in an idot in a fast boat driving dangerously and a parent not watching their kid. The parents of these kids who drown will never be the same. It will change their life forever.
I have personally pulled a kid out of the current down by Lake Martinez while there parents "were just a few feet away" on a sandbar. I think some parents think if their kid knows how to swim they will be ok. That's far from the truth. It's dangerous here.
Not many people on here know me and you can flame me. No problem. But when you bring a child into this world. That child is YOUR responsiblilty where ever you go.
Last but not least, just another reason for more restrictions and laws for the channel and lake.
My heart goes out to the family.

Artv
06-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Very sad news, my prayers go out to the family.

THOR
06-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I have a 21 month old,so this kind of incident scares the crap out of me.
Yep, happens fast huh?

Devil's Advocate
06-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Horrible tragedies out there. Please be careful everyone... prayers to all affected. :(

Phat Matt
06-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Police suspect accidental drowning
By TONY RAAP
Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:30 PM MDT
Lake Havasu City Police suspect the drowning of a California youth Saturday was accidental.
Police will not have any definite answers until the medical examiner's report comes back.
“But everything indicates that it's just an accidental drowning,” Lt. Mike Reynolds of the Lake Havasu Police Department said Sunday.
Police found Austin Tyler Paten, 10, of Mission Hills, Calif., on the Bridgewater Channel's south side at about 5:45 p.m. He tried to swim across the Channel, which is a violation of city code, Reynolds said. He was not wearing a life jacket.
There was no indication as far as bruising that would indicate that a boat struck him, Reynolds said.
The police do not suspect Saturday's drowning was due to carbon monoxide poisoning, Reynolds said.
The CERT team, a volunteer group for the LHC Fire Department, took a carbon monoxide reading just before the drowning, then just after. Carbon monoxide levels were not above the unhealthy range, said Reynolds.
“We don't suspect it based on the surface readings,” Reynolds said of carbon monoxide poisoning. “But you never know.”
“But again, until the medical examiner's reports come back we won't have any definite answers on anything,” he said.
The county Medical Examiner's Office declined comment. It generally takes three days to a week before police get any information from the medical examiner, Reynolds said.
Last Sunday, Juan Cortez, 13, drowned in the designated swimming area of London Bridge Beach Park. The medical examiner has not released a cause of death.
On Saturday, a passing boater spotted the body of David Ramsey, 54, of Riverside, Calif., near Jopps Harbor Cove. Ramsey had been missing since June 3, when he was thrown from his boat after colliding with another boat.
The Mohave County Sheriff's Office did not return repeated phone messages seeking comment on why Ramsey's body did not surface sooner.
The CERT team has six monitoring stations plus a mobile station. The group monitors carbon monoxide levels every hour during the weekend. If the carbon monoxide level rises above the unhealthy range and stays there for 15 minutes, police shut down the Channel. Too much carbon monoxide causes swimmers to pass out, which can lead to drowning, Reynolds said.
The Channel is about 10 to 12 feet deep. Police found Patin about 20 feet from shore.
You may contact the reporter at raap@havasunews.com.

AltarGirl
06-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Wow, this is terrible. I work in Mission Hills, that's really bringing it home

Hardly Satisfied
06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Our prayers go out to the Family and there friends :cry:

YODA
06-19-2006, 06:16 AM
I dont get it??? Why wasnt there someone watching this 10 yr old every second? And why was he allowed to swim across the channel? A child is such a precious thing-parents watch them always!!! We have our dd for the boat and car, why not a designated watcher for the kids. Condolences to the family, they will be greiving for a long long time ........
KIDS----WATCH 'EM ALWAYS!!!!!

RiverDave
06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
I dont get it??? Why wasnt there someone watching this 10 yr old every second? And why was he allowed to swim across the channel? A child is such a precious thing-parents watch them always!!! We have our dd for the boat and car, why not a designated watcher for the kids. Condolences to the family, they will be greiving for a long long time ........
KIDS----WATCH 'EM ALWAYS!!!!!
It's easy to ask questions like that after the fact, but in retrospect, I don't remember anybody watching me when I was 10 years old. I remember taking long rides out into the middle of nowhere in the desert with friends, and no parents around, jetskiing on the river early in the mornings etc.. etc.. I feel terrible for the parents, and certainly wouldn't "blame them" for this tragedy. :(
RD

dmontzsta
06-19-2006, 08:55 AM
I cannot imagine what the family is going through. As a parent it is the worst fear of mine, so for that to happen is beyond words.

purrfecttremor
06-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Very sad indead.Austin was my next door neighbors nephew and he was with his dad and 17 year old brother and was also with other friends playing.It appears that no one is sure how it happeded but it was certainly a tragic accident and my heart goes out to the family.PLEASE DONT PASS JUDJMENT ON THE PARRENTS.IT WAS AN ACCEDENT!!!!!!!!