PDA

View Full Version : "81 Merc 2.4 flywheel replacement??

jbinyma11
06-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Somehow about 1/4 of the teeth on the flywheel got chewed up yesterday!
Can anyone tell me if I can just replace the outer ring with the teeth or do I need to replace the whole flywheel? It is a regular steel flywheel.....Is this something I should try myself or take it to a shop?
Any info will be greatly appreciated,
JB

YeLLowBoaT
06-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I am not to sure if you can just replace the ring gear or if you need a new flywheel. I am sure that you should not do anything til you found out what cuased it...

Towndrunk
06-18-2006, 10:18 AM
You'll want to change the whole flywheel. They are cheap and easy to find.
You will need a flywheel puller from merc or maybe you can find one on ebay. All you do is loosen the nut on top yank the FW off and slap the other one on.
Tighten it to 100 ft lbs and your good to go.
TD

jbinyma11
06-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys..
TD, That's sounds like a pretty easy job but what about the timing will it get tweeked if I turn the shaft while changing them out?
Thanks again, JB

Towndrunk
06-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the replies guys..
TD, That's sounds like a pretty easy job but what about the timing will it get tweeked if I turn the shaft while changing them out?
Thanks again, JB
No, the flywheel is splined to go on one way only. You can probably pick one up at the local dealer bone yard. If not I have one you can have for 25 and the shipping.

jbinyma11
06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks TD, I will try to find one tommorrow. I'm down in Yuma so we shall see :squiggle: If I don't find one I will let you know.
Thanks again,
JB

jbinyma11
06-19-2006, 06:03 AM
You'll want to change the whole flywheel. They are cheap and easy to find.
You will need a flywheel puller from merc or maybe you can find one on ebay. All you do is loosen the nut on top yank the FW off and slap the other one on.
Tighten it to 100 ft lbs and your good to go.
TD
Hey TD, What should I expect to pay for a flywheel puller??
JB

You Te
06-19-2006, 08:53 AM
You might want to check the timing after you install the replacment
FW. Also check the starter gear and the general condition of the starter, make sure the starter is secure. I bought my FW puller about 7 years ago from Merc at that time is was around $40.00.

Towndrunk
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
You can check it but I got a c note that says it wont change. Anybody??

You Te
06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Really!

jbinyma11
06-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Took the serial #(5693789) year and model('81 2.4 merc 200 hp) To the local dealer today he quoted me $636.00 for another one!!! He said the motor is more than 10y/o and it (the serial#) has to be crossed referenced with another serial# so that is the cost of a new "kit" as he put it
Is this true!!
Thanks guys,
JB

timebomb1
06-20-2006, 06:37 AM
I double that c note bet. The timing might change but not more that the +/- 2 degrees that is called out for at w.o.t and idle. Take up T.D for his used one. I have one also if his does not work out. Part number for the puller is 91-73687a1, order one from Mercury part express and they will ship it to the house. I would also check out why the teeth were ground off. Is the starter sticking?
What part of Yuma?
I spent a little time there. Wearing green and fixing aircraft.
Looks like the number has been superceded, http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/Accessories/getProduct.asp?sku=91%2D73687A1&SPHomeqty=&store=ServiceParts&statusMsg=The+part%3A++91%2D73687A1+has+been+subst ituted+with%3A+849154T+1&CID=168150186061226063269
For the price of the tool, your local shop should be able to pop yours off and you can install the new/used one. Hope it works out. Gary

jbinyma11
06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I double that c note bet. The timing might change but not more that the +/- 2 degrees that is called out for at w.o.t and idle. Take up T.D for his used one. I have one also if his does not work out. Part number for the puller is 91-73687a1, order one from Mercury part express and they will ship it to the house. I would also check out why the teeth were ground off. Is the starter sticking?
What part of Yuma?
I spent a little time there. Wearing green and fixing aircraft.
Looks like the number has been superceded, http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/Accessories/getProduct.asp?sku=91%2D73687A1&SPHomeqty=&store=ServiceParts&statusMsg=The+part%3A++91%2D73687A1+has+been+subst ituted+with%3A+849154T+1&CID=168150186061226063269
For the price of the tool, your local shop should be able to pop yours off and you can install the new/used one. Hope it works out. Gary
Thanks Gary, I will definately be taking one of you guys up on that flywheel. Thanks for the link to the puller. I ended up renting one for $20.00 from the boat shop. It worked good pulled the flywheel right off.. The starter is not sticking but the teeth on the bendex were worn and I knew it needed to be replaced but I didn't think it would chew up the flywheel. (lesson learned)
I live in the foothills east of Yuma. Work at YPG which is very convenient this time of year just tow the boat to work and hit the water right after :cool:
Thanks again,
JB

timebomb1
06-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Good deal.
I spent some time on that part of the river. Some how I managed to get asigned to the Marine Corps rec area for six months. Martinez lake bar was always fun on a holiday weekend. We would start at Fishers landing and ski all the way up to the rock house, and float back down. I was there back in the 80's when they were testing that offroad missle launcher. Is the road out to Martinez any better? Is was pretty rough.
Set the timing mark at the pointer before you pull the flywheel. When you drop the new/used on on make sure it is still at the same mark. Then there will be no question. Gary

jbinyma11
06-20-2006, 06:19 PM
I've been out here since '89. The road is still bad but they have made some improvements. The MC Rec Center is pretty nice now and there are some really big nice houses being built around the lake. We are getting a lot of folks from Cali down here now and it gets way busy even on a regular weekend.
We usually launch at Fishers and go way North to the Cliffs it's nice and quite up there. Most of the area you are speaking of is No Ski zone now. their are a couple of huge sand bars that everybody parties on there. We usually stop in to check out the "scenery" and go farther up.
Take care and Thanks for the pointers,
JB

You Te
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I double that c note bet. The timing might change but not more that the +/- 2 degrees that is called out for at w.o.t and idle.
+ or - 2 degrees Interesting!

You Te
06-20-2006, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=timebomb1
Set the timing mark at the pointer before you pull the flywheel. When you drop the new/used on on make sure it is still at the same mark. Then there will be no question. Gary[/QUOTE]
Now your talking. :D :D

timebomb1
06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
I guess I could tell the whole story about setting the intial pick up timing with a dial indicator at tdc and the setting the pointer Then rotating the motor .150 counter clockwise to 25 degrees b.t.d.c indicated on the pointer. Then rotating the motor back clockwise and check to see if the intial pickup is tdc +/-2 degrees. Then again I would need to know if it had single or two stage reeds. But I'll bet I will still win a c note times 2. :rollside: Gary

You Te
06-21-2006, 07:06 AM
I guess I could tell the whole story about setting the intial pick up timing with a dial indicator at tdc and the setting the pointer Then rotating the motor .150 counter clockwise to 25 degrees b.t.d.c indicated on the pointer. Then rotating the motor back clockwise and check to see if the intial pickup is tdc +/-2 degrees. Then again I would need to know if it had single or two stage reeds. But I'll bet I will still win a c note times 2. :rollside: Gary
You mean set it to 0 at the pointer for TDC and then back it up to 150 tho. which is 25 degrees, of course fuel and compression might come into play for that 25 degrees btdc.
You could tell the whole story about indexing the fly wheel and checking each hole to see how the switch boxes are doing. :D :D

Towndrunk
06-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Quit it now!! Dont confuse our new friend. :boxed:
DO NOT READ THIS POST AND DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE TWO SMART ASSES!!! :yuk:
If it's in time now it will be intime when you change the flywheel. :rollside:

You Te
06-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Quit it now!! Dont confuse our new friend.
DO NOT READ THIS POST AND DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE TWO SMAT ASSES!!! :yuk:
:D :D :D :D

timebomb1
06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks Ron, that was kinda what I was getting at. :) Gary

jbinyma11
06-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Quit it now!! Dont confuse our new friend. :boxed:
DO NOT READ THIS POST AND DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE TWO SMART ASSES!!! :yuk:
Thanks again TD, Cause these guys are confusing the Sh#$ out of me :rolleyes:
I already removed the old flywheel anyway. I was told that the new/used one I get will only go back on the same way the old one came off....
JB

Towndrunk
06-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks again TD, Cause these guys are confusing the Sh#$ out of me :rolleyes:
I already removed the old flywheel anyway. I was told that the new/used one I get will only go back on the same way the old one came off....
JB
Yep only one way. I'll get it sent out this afternoon. :p

timebomb1
06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Jb you still should be able to set the old flywheel back on and check the pointer, the new/used then can be installed and checked. Nothing should change.
I was just spouting off, messing with You Te. :argue:
And as for the "smartass" coment the wife seems to agree on that alot. :rollside:
Just poking fun where ever I can. Gary

You Te
06-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I was just spouting off, messing with You Te.
Chilling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wicky
06-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Mow!! You pick frywheel MOW!!
You pay cash!! Mow!!
You pay cash I give you discount!!
Mow!!

jbinyma11
06-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Mow!! You pick frywheel MOW!!
You pay cash!! Mow!!
You pay cash I give you discount!!
Mow!!
LOL!! Is it me or has he watched Super Troopers one to many times :rollside:

jbinyma11
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
I do still need a bendix for the starter if anybody's got one though. I'm going to check NAPA tommorrow but don't know if I'll have any luck..
Thanks guys,
JB

Towndrunk
06-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Wicky is the Sushi queen uhhh I mean King of Boise and all his friends are corean uhhhhh Korean????????? :p