PDA

View Full Version : 26 daytona going to slow HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

dallas
04-16-2002, 06:09 PM
just bought a new 26 daytona with a 500hp efi with a 4 blade 28 pitch merc prop. i am only running about 75mph at 4800 rpm i tried a 26 pitch i ran 5100 rpm but only ran 73 mph i really thought this boat would run atleast 80 mph . i had the engine checked out its in great shape i only have 25 hours on it so far thanks for your advise

riverliver
04-16-2002, 06:20 PM
I have a 25 Daytona and had a hp500 carb and ran low 80s , I would think you would get a little better speed out of it.
did you get your speed #s from gps or speedo ?
You can always throw another 20k at it and get some big #s (Blower,intercooler,imco drive etc...)
Good Luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

dallas
04-16-2002, 06:27 PM
I RAN IT ON A GPS. THE TEMP WAS ABOUT 50 OUT SIDE. WHATS GOMNNA HAPPEN WHEN IT GETS HOT AND HUMID IN THE SUMMER

riverliver
04-16-2002, 07:04 PM
You know the motor dose not like hot air, makes it slower !
where is your drive X deminsion set at, is the top of your out drive at the rub rail ?
Were you fully loaded, gas,cooler,etc..
where are you triming the drive out too ?
Are you running a 1:50 gear ratio drive ?
I was spining a 28p with a 1:50 at 5200rpm
I changed out drives to a 1:36 and was spining a 24p at 5200rpm and lost about 5mph or so, put a blower and inercooler and beefup the motor and put on a new imco sc drive, GPS at 102 @5500rpm full load of gas and 4 people, cooler ETC.. in the boat.
Now Iam happy !!!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by riverliver (edited April 16, 2002).]

kanedog
04-16-2002, 09:06 PM
We run a 26p and at 5000 rpm it runs 90mph.We still have 1000rpm left until the rev limiter kicks in but since the boat is new we haven't been pushing it too much.It has a stellings ext. box(12"),new imco sc drive and 1.26 gears and is 2" shorter.The boat is a 2002 daytona 26'.The only kicker is that the motor makes about 950hp with the present pulleys.
I don't know if this will help you but at least it might give you something to work with. Check out Eliminator group over at offshoreonly.com . There is some info over there will help you.
[This message has been edited by kanedog (edited April 16, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by kanedog (edited April 16, 2002).]

dallas
04-17-2002, 06:23 AM
i was running with 2 people but one was my son and he only weighs about 50 lbs. i had a half of a tank i was trimmed and i run 1.5 gears and it was cool out thanks

Flatfastcat
04-17-2002, 07:08 AM
Hey kanedog, hows your Imco SC holding up?

pleasantcat
04-17-2002, 01:44 PM
im running a 25 daytona. 660 hp 1.5 bravo/imco 2"lower 28 4bld labd prop. at 6100 rpm im at 93mph hhgps. dont know if that helps. it does sound like it should run faster though. good luck and hope to see ya at the regatta.

kanedog
04-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Flatfastcat-Imco sc is good so far with 8 hrs on it. We are babying it as much as possible.We are still trying to figure out when themost wear and damage occurs in drives and how people break them. We hope we are doing everything ok like not hammering it off the line.
Do high speed runs hurt them?

Whipple Charged
04-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Dallas,
That sounds pretty close to normal. The 26' is bigger and heavier than the 25 and at 75, there's very little pressure lifting the sponsons, so it needs more power or choppier water to go faster. I think you'll find after running through some rough water, you'll pick up some noticeable mph. You will lose power though in hotter weather, 50 is really cool and your making really good power there.
You can do a few things, add power, raise the X dimension (might lose some getting on plane) or labbing your prop (probably good for 1-2mph with your 28).
Thanks,
Dustin

FastCats
04-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Hi Dallas,
Your best bet will be to put a 28 lab on it, it gives you the blade of the 28 but more closer to the rpm of the 26, more rpm and more blade should equal more mph. That boat should run at least 80, our 2600 AO's run between a documented 86 and 88 mph in 80 degrees of weather and heavy humidity. The other guys are correct in looking into your X demension, it sounds a little deep for the speed, at the same time, more speed, more lift. Try to borrow a 28 lab and run into the wind with some chop before it gets too hot. The weather that is! Best of luck to you and let us know if we can help! I'm not sure if your name implies your location, we're south of Houston, I have props for you to test if you want to come down. I'll be happy to help!
Scott

mikey
04-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by dallas:
just bought a new 26 daytona with a 500hp efi with a 4 blade 28 pitch merc prop. i am only running about 75mph at 4800 rpm i tried a 26 pitch i ran 5100 rpm but only ran 73 mph i really thought this boat would run atleast 80 mph . i had the engine checked out its in great shape i only have 25 hours on it so far thanks for your advise
The 26 Daytona should run around 80+ with the HP500 EFI. Checking the numbers (4800 rpm, 28 pitch & 1.50 gears) shows a prop slip of 14.7%. The other combination (5100 rpm, 26 pitch & 1.50 gears) calculates to 16.0% slip. Both cases the slip is higher than we have tested. We see prop slips in the 8/10% range. I don't think you are trimming out to far (Both RPM and slip would be high) so I think the hull is glued in. Not enough trim or the water is too smooth and the hull can't break free. Are you running the XZ or XR drive? XR drives tend to run slower. Give me a call at the shop if you have any questions 909-681-1222.
Mike
Eliminator Boats

dallas
04-17-2002, 08:08 PM
thank you every one for all your advice. first i live in wi im just a huge cowboys fan. ive been messing with the trim and im pretty sure ive got it up high enough ive ran into a wave the boat felt alot lighter than i expected. at one pass when the weather was only about 45 i got about 4900 and about 78 mph. but now that the weather is 75 i cant get it over 4800 0r 75 mph some times ive over trimmed just to see what it would do. all i do is throw up more water and go slower so far my dream boat is not such a dream thanks again

pleasantcat
04-17-2002, 09:33 PM
woah there dude.. you've got the dream boat. it will just take a little getting usedto and seat time. i got my 25 daytona all excited to run fast.. i'm still learning and will be for some time to come.. one thing i found was this forum. here all you do is tell your story as close to true as possable and all of us will try to help. some guys from here are still to this day helping me.you've got an awsome boat and it will perform for you. oh if i may ask what elevation are you running at. here in az were pretty low,and maybe in wi its higher???? just food for thought. hang in there..

kevinb
04-17-2002, 11:15 PM
My boat does only 60 mph at 4500 rpm
It has a 24 pitch Bravo 1 Prop.
It's a 454 motor.
The cams have been changed to insure it idles well.
My boat will not drive past 4500 rpm... what should I try first?

Charley
04-18-2002, 07:20 AM
Dallas... I have a DCB Mach 26... I bought it with a 620 HP Teague 509... It ran 92 on GPS on my best pass..... with 10 hrs on the boat I knew I didn't have the set up I wanted, I had my heart set on 100+....So what did I do? I had to decide on throwing a blower on top of a motor that was never really meant to be blown, or start over. I ended up starting over. You need to be realistic with yourself and ask do I want? to go 5-7 mph faster? That is the max you will see by tweaking and dialing in that set up..and honestly you will see most of that eaten up in 100 degree weather. I personally have heard the HP 500 is an awesome motor and with a mild whipple/innercooler setup you will probably be in the low to mid 90's. Dustin is an extremely nice, fair guy.
BE WARNED....you will probably need
Blower
Innercooler
Boost gauge
New prop
Hatch mod
Interior mod
Be prepared for $7500 - $10k, BUT,
whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't see my first 100 mph pass after I got my blower motor hehehe. Good Luck!! email me if you have any questions

MIKEHTMSR24
04-18-2002, 02:58 PM
RL how fast where you going with the 28/1.5/5200?
And the 24/1.36/5200
And what prop with the 1.36/102/5500
The five you lost from going to a 1.36 gear. How accurate is that. What I mean where both set ups the same? Air temp, humidity, water temps. I am interested because I am thinking of switching to a 1.5 gear.
I was spining a 28p with a 1:50 at 5200rpm
I changed out drives to a 1:36 and was spining a 24p at 5200rpm and lost about 5mph or so, put a blower and inercooler and beefup the motor and put on a new imco sc drive, GPS at 102 @5500rpm full load of gas and 4 people, cooler ETC.. in the boat.
Now Iam happy !!!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by riverliver (edited April 16, 2002).][/B]

dallas
04-18-2002, 06:34 PM
you know the more i think about this whole thing. it really pisses me off. im told by my sales man that 80mph was no prob at all. and then i call eliminator and ask them the same thing , they tell me the same. so i spend more than i thought i ever would on a boat. and i know the boat looks good, and maybe 5-6 miles an hour isnt that big a deal to some people. but i paid alot more for the 500 hp efi i know how to drive a tunel ive owned 7 of them. and unless i can get my weight down to 100 lbs and i only have fumes for fuel and its 45 degrees outside, and with a good wind and a couple foot chop. this boat will never see 80+ mph so what do i do. pay more to have it rigged different or do i sell it and go to a manufacture that i have more faith in? ive owned 5 eliminators my brother and father have had 4 its not that easy for me. its not like i can drag it over to the factory. i live in wisconsin. what to do? i want my performance boat to perform is that to much to ask?

Whipple Charged
04-18-2002, 07:13 PM
dallas,
I too have been very happy with Eliminators, I've had a few and I've worked with Bob and Brent down there on many projects. The 26 is an awesome boat, but every boat is different. I've run quite a few 26's lately, all had bigger power and they were fantastic. I would talk with Bob or Jerry about it at Eliminator, they'll help you out. Just some questions if you don't mind? What elevation are you running at, what type of water conditions, any chop, how far are you running it out, how fast are you trimming the motor? I would measure your X dimension and make sure it's what's recommended. I had a customer in NY just tell me they went 97mph on GPS in a new 26 Daytona with the 500 and the SC but this would be an added expense, although interior mods should not be needed. I think they said it went 78-79 previously without the SC.
Thanks,
Dustin

Whipple Charged
04-18-2002, 07:13 PM
dallas,
I too have been very happy with Eliminators, I've had a few and I've worked with Bob and Brent down there on many projects. The 26 is an awesome boat, but every boat is different. I've run quite a few 26's lately, all had bigger power and they were fantastic. I would talk with Bob or Jerry about it at Eliminator, they'll help you out. Just some questions if you don't mind? What elevation are you running at, what type of water conditions, any chop, how far are you running it out, how fast are you trimming the motor? I would measure your X dimension and make sure it's what's recommended. I had a customer in NY just tell me they went 97mph on GPS in a new 26 Daytona with the 500 and the SC but this would be an added expense, although interior mods should not be needed. I think they said it went 78-79 previously without the SC.
Thanks,
Dustin