View Full Version : new altanator

bergen
06-18-2006, 08:16 PM
ok i have a ford 460 i want to buy a new altanator from jegs the 1 wire model,
what happens to the other 2 wires that go to alt now? i suk @ electrical shi--
can some one splain in english so this 8 year old can understand, thanks bergen

Cas
06-18-2006, 08:26 PM
why change? I'd keep the same set-up and if you need an alternator, just get the replacement.

bergen
06-18-2006, 08:43 PM
why change? I'd keep the same set-up and if you need an alternator, just get the replacement.
hey cas, how you doing, why change i dont know, i thought that was the way 2 go, i think i like your advice and i'll go to kragen auto , tomorow
and pick up a new alt and try not to mess up with the wires,
when i bought the boat 4 years ago i had a small fire and fried some wires, i'm gonna try 2 replace the fried wires 1 @ a time, i hope i dont screw it up. whish me luck, i got my fingers and toe's crossed. yours truely sparky

Cas
06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
it's best to get the same size wires and the same colors...makes doing the job a lot easier. Actually, the 2 wires I beefed up on were the positive and negative wires going from the back all the way up under the dash.
Good Luck!

castone001
06-19-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a 460 and asked the same question couple months back.
Call NAPA and ask them for the 65amp GM (yes jsut dont tell your friends) alternator. I forgot the part#. 65.00
Tell them you also wnat the ONEWIRE Conversion kit, 11.95.
They will tell you which wire goes where. Basically you will plug in the converter into the slot and also put the wire from it to + post on the alt. Then a wore runs directly to the + of the battery, or you can use the + wire off your wire block at the rear of the engine like I did.
Works Awesome and is a good inexpensive fix.
Chris

castone001
06-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Here's my original post. Scroll down for the part #'s at Napa.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114480&highlight=alternator