PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 or 4x2 that is the question...

nordy racer
06-19-2006, 07:02 AM
so, i'm in the market for a new tow rig.. right now i tow with a Ford Lightning (4x2), but it's limit is 5000lbs. i have never got stuck on any ramps will pulling out the 23OL.. Any, i'm looking to upgrade to a 30 footer and i'm freaking out about the weight and the possiablity of getting stuck on a wet ramp with a 4x2..
the 4x2 i'm looking at is a Excursion Deisel or a 4x4 Excursion with the V10..
Any help would be great on this topic, what is everyone using around here..
thanks,
mike

LAFD
06-19-2006, 07:06 AM
ide say between 4x4 and 4x2 if the places you boat youve never had trouble before you wont have trouble if you go bigger so go with 4x2 but i would think you should make sure it has possi traction so in the case where there is a wet ramp you wont have just one wheel spinning. between a diesal and a v10 go with the diesal.

OutCole'd
06-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I had a 2WD 03 Chevy HD that could not pull my 28' boat out of Windsor. Tires just spun. Went home and bought a 4WD the next day.

JB in so cal
06-19-2006, 07:21 AM
I had a 2WD 03 Chevy HD that could not pull my 28' boat out of Windsor. Tires just spun. Went home and bought a 4WD the next day.
...baller! :)

H20 Toie
06-19-2006, 07:26 AM
99% of the time a 4 x4 is a waste of money but it's that 1% that makes it worth the money. I have dropped my trailer off the ramp at Windsor and got it high centered once so the 4 x4 has been worth while to me but my trailer is also 41' long

OutCole'd
06-19-2006, 07:31 AM
I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat and a bat
and a 64 Impalla.......................

Warlockjer
06-19-2006, 07:32 AM
It's a NO BRAINER. 4X4, especially if you are going to be towing. Ramps can get slippery :) :)

GunninGopher
06-19-2006, 07:48 AM
99% of the time a 4 x4 is a waste of money but it's that 1% that makes it worth the money....
Exactly.
You'll hardly ever use the 4wd, but when you do you'll be glad you have it. Another thing is that it gives you the nuts to do more with the truck. If you don't have 4wd, you may not go somewhere where you don't even need it. Knowing that you have the 4x4 available lets you give it a shot and have a backup plan if you need it.
You can have all the engine power in the world, but without traction, it is a waste.
I'll only get 4wd when available from now on. The maintenance is a little more occasionally, the mileage is slightly lower, but the resale value is higher, so the cost is offset a little.

lalhc
06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
The one time you'd need the 4x4 pays for the difference.

SurfOnH20
06-19-2006, 08:09 AM
I say go with the diesel all the way. I have a 7.3 litr Excursion and this thing is a bear. Better gas mileage, more power, and overall a delight to have. I can drive to Hunt. Beach and back from Havasu on one tank (thats without towing a boat and cruising at 65). Try that with a gasser. I dont think you will have any problems pulling a 30 boat out of Windsor Beach with a 4 x 2. And having a 4 x 4 just for seems like a waste. If you live in the mountains and drinving in snow, yeah you should get it. But 4 x 4 means more parts to break, and maintenance, and more weight. I had a diesel F-250 4 x 4. I used it once in 7 years and only because It was a snowing heavily while driving in Big Bear. Good luck !

LaveyOne
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
99% of the time a 4 x4 is a waste of money but it's that 1% that makes it worth the money. I have dropped my trailer off the ramp at Windsor and got it high centered once so the 4 x4 has been worth while to me but my trailer is also 41' long

nordy racer
06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
I say go with the diesel all the way. I have a 7.3 litr Excursion and this thing is a bear. Better gas mileage, more power, and overall a delight to have. I can drive to Hunt. Beach and back from Havasu on one tank (thats without towing a boat and cruising at 65). Try that with a gasser. I dont think you will have any problems pulling a 30 boat out of Windsor Beach with a 4 x 2. And having a 4 x 4 just for seems like a waste. If you live in the mountains and drinving in snow, yeah you should get it. But 4 x 4 means more parts to break, and maintenance, and more weight. I had a diesel F-250 4 x 4. I used it once in 7 years and only because It was a snowing heavily while driving in Big Bear. Good luck !
no SNOW for me, thats one of the main reasons why i moved out to sunny CA.. anyway, your 7.3 is a 4x2? what size boat are you pulling? i'm some what heading towards the diesel 4x2 because of the gas mileage. i saw on the web that people are getting almost 20mpg without towing and 15 towing 8000lbs..
I know about the fuel injector recall, but has anyone else heard anything bad about the 6.0 PSD...

Flyinbowtie
06-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Lots of good advice here. I came from LBC to the north end of the state in '76, driving a 56-F-100 with a tunnel-rammed big block and L50-15s on the back. The first time it snowed, I was shall we say, convinced I need a 4x4.
I've never been without one since.
Up here, the 4x4 option on a vehicle does not depreciate with the rest of the ride, when you sell it you get your $ back on the transfer case, etc. I don't know if that is the case in SoCal, or if it is of a concern to you. When you get in a situation where you really need 4x4, there isn't much you can do to a 2wd to get the job done.
That being said, if all you are worried about are slippery boat ramps, you might consider simply installing an air-locker in the rear axle of a properly geared 2wd. If you really don't ever plan to be in a place where that transfer case and 4-low will be needed, it may suffice.
Maybe...
For what it's worth, my 97 F-350 4x4 long bed crew cab dually 7.3 diesel will just touch 20 mpg hwy. on flat ground unloaded at 65 mph. With a 4200 lb camper on it's back, and towing my 21ft ski Sanger on the same flat gound I can get 12.8 mpg at about 62 mph.
It is not stock.

Steamin' Rice
06-19-2006, 09:05 AM
If you are thinking of getting a bigger boat and launching at some of the ramps along the coast, I would get 4x4. At low tide the ramps don't have very good traction, and if you don't have 4x4 it can be tough to pull the boat up the ramp.

nordy racer
06-19-2006, 09:10 AM
yea i mostly launch from the LB area and my Lightning only slipped one time during low tide..
DAMN THIS IS HARD.. is there anyone on this board that is pulling a 30 plus size boat with a 4x2???
thanks everyone for your input keep it coming..

BajaMike
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
4x4 and diesel....you can't go wrong with that!

mbrown2
06-19-2006, 09:20 AM
If you are launching boats, 4x4...without question....