PDA

View Full Version : Anything good or bad to say about this head unit?

STV_Keith
06-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Looking at an Alpine CDA-9856 (http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9856) head unit. AM/FM/CD/MP3 w/Ipod connector and Sat ready. Tweeter sells it retail for $200, so I think it's got some bang for the buck.
Any reasons to or not to buy it compared to something else?

Jyruiz
06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Very nice deck, go for it.

phebus
06-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Great head unit, but I prefer the 9857, as it has a steering wheel remote feature, that allows you to run wired remotes.
If you have no need for wired remotes, then the 9856 would be great.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Alpine makes GREAT products. I prefer the 9857 for the very same reason as Phebus stated.

STV_Keith
06-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Just the info I was looking for guys. Any other options? Different brand even? I've always been partial to Alpine, and all of the decks in my cars have been Alpine, but I don't see them in boats very often. Mostly Sony and Pioneer.
Any other suggestions/options?

dm25advantage
06-19-2006, 04:54 PM
iam in the market for a new head unit too. my buddy pour beer all over mind.
iam looking at the 9856 and 9857. they both have the wireless remote and thats what iam after because i want to do the transom remote. i didnt see a huge different between the units.it looks like they both almost have the same features. please tell me if iam wrong... iam going with the 9856 and get the transom remote for the same cost of getting the 9857.

dm25advantage
06-20-2006, 09:50 AM
it says the 9856 is wireless remote ready and the 9857 is incl. whats the different?

STV_Keith
06-20-2006, 09:57 AM
9856 has a wireless remote = Infrared. Uses light rays to transmit. The 9857 has a connector for a wired remote, like for the vehicle steering wheel controls. Apparently, with that, any wired remote can be made to work.

USCFAN
06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I have the 9857 and it is great. I originally had a sony unit and the sound quality seems to be so much better with the Alpine. Also the other post are correct when they say the 9856 does not work with marine controllers. Also the high speed Ipod connection is great.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Just the info I was looking for guys. Any other options? Different brand even? I've always been partial to Alpine, and all of the decks in my cars have been Alpine, but I don't see them in boats very often. Mostly Sony and Pioneer.
Any other suggestions/options?
Marks Audio-Video (http://www.marksautosound.com/), was Marks Auto Sound, uses Alpine stuff quite frequently in boats so there is no problem with running them in a marine environment.

WFS ADAM
06-20-2006, 03:05 PM
9856 has a wireless remote = Infrared. Uses light rays to transmit. The 9857 has a connector for a wired remote, like for the vehicle steering wheel controls. Apparently, with that, any wired remote can be made to work.
Not any, Sony oval style, and very few people know how to make it work with an Alpine.
The 9856 is wireless ready, but does not include a remote.

STV_Keith
06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Not any, Sony oval style, and very few people know how to make it work with an Alpine.
The 9856 is wireless ready, but does not include a remote.
Adam, do you have any other suggestions? And what remote(s) will work with the 9857?
Thanks!

phebus
06-20-2006, 06:32 PM
SWB, I've asked you before, but can you please let me know what I need, and how much it will cost me for the adapter for using the wired remotes with an Alpine 9857.
I want to buy one.
Thanks

STV_Keith
06-20-2006, 06:57 PM
It's not Adam, I was posting under his name.
You can use only the Sony style oval wired remotes and I have to build an adapter for it. We currently have the pieces in stock to build the interfaces. Me and Adam both use the 9857 and are currently putting it into probably 75% of the systems we do. High speed, full integration IPOD controls are what set this unit apart. If you're going to use IPOD (and a wired remote) this is the only unit to use.
In a high end type system, we highly recommend the use of an Audio Control Matrix line driver to bump up the meager 2v preout. Preout voltage is king.
Why did Alpine go away from the 4v preouts? I thought they were the pioneers of that in mobile audio?
Bob, if you would send me a PM, please send prices on the 9857, the ACM line driver and two interfaces and remotes. I do plan to use an IPOD (haven't bought that yet either), and likely the sat radio features (XM most likely). Thanks!

Blueduck
06-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Shockwavebob
I was interested in a remote a month....month and half ago......any chance of getting one sometime soon. Please PM me when you get a chance.