PDA

View Full Version : Oil in bilge. Good pressure, runs great. ???

stashtrey
06-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't know if this oil I found in my bilge is from an old change or if it's from yesterday but..... my oil pressure is perfect (75-80 at idle/cold, down to 45-50 after running hard.... back up to 75 while idling). The engine runs great, perfect temperature etc.
Would something catastrophic with oil loss or a leak show up with my oil pressure/temp etc?
I know this question sounds confusing. Basically.... where are the typical spots you will find an oil leak? What could cause one and how the hell do I figure out where it's coming from when I can hardly get my hand between my stringers and my engine?
Seems like the only way to really tell is to pull the engine... which I'm absolutely not in a position to do and I imagine having a mechanic do it would be rather pricey.
So.... how much of an oil leak is too much? If my engine runs great, good oil pressure, perfect temp etc..... when do you decide that it's time to pull the motor and figure out where the leak is coming from?
I just went through hell fixing this engine's ignition and fuel system..... now I'm paranoid about this oil I'm finding.
What would you do?

El Prosecutor
06-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I apologize if this is a hijack - I hope it is related enough.
I loose a little oil each time out also, but my oil pressure stays pegged at 80 all day. Does this indicate a problem? If so, any solutions?

Cas
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Just a leak isn't going to cause you to lose oil pressure so long as the oil pick up is still submerged in oil.
As far as a leak, the places to check are-
oil filter. Maybe it's not making a good seal or maybe a seam split.
sending unit
front seal/timing chain cover
intake manifold....those are the easy things
next in line is the oil pan, then rear seal or maybe the oil plugs on the side of the block.
or maybe where the dipstick tube goes in.
Actually, first thing is to clean the bilge up real good just to make sure it's not residual oil from an oil change. The best thing I've found to use is Oil Eater at Kragen. I just poured a gallon in the bilge, drover around the block a few times for it to slosh around and then drained it out into a bucket.

stashtrey
06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Excellent. Thanks, Cas!
I'll clean the bilge first.... then go out again and see what happens.
I did have some old gaskets go bad on my valve covers and I was getting a lot of oil build up on my manifold but I'm not sure that it was making it's way to the bilge... it just seemed to be collecting on top of the manifold.
I replaced the valve covers and put new gaskets on. I apparently didn't tighten one of the covers down well enough and got quite a bit of oil again. Tightened it up and no more oil coming from the covers.
On another oil related note. I was told by Jory at SOS Marine in Granite Bay that I really don't need a PCV setup on my motor. I bought a new Edelbrock Marine carb that for some reason isn't plumbed with a PCV nozzle/fitting. Jory told me it's not really necessary.... so now I have a oil filler cap on one side and a plug in breather on the other. What do you think about this??

Cas
06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
some engines don't need a pcv but a lot of others do but I've always run one on my engines. If an engine is old and has a lot of blow by which causes crankcase pressures to build up, you will get an oil mist coming out of the breathers as that's the only way for the pressure to be released.
A pcv valve helps relieve the pressure be utilizing the engine vacuum to suck out the pressure. Just keep an eye on it after running hard, if you get an oil misting on the valve covers, put a pcv on. All you need to do is get a carb spacer, tap it for a 1/4" nipple and run a hose for a pcv.
If you still have oil residue on your block, it's possible that it's still running down and into the bilge

Cas
06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
btw, Jory is an excellent choice for advice, info and repair work. Next time you talk to him, tell him Hi for me :)

FASTRAT
06-19-2006, 11:55 AM
put another push-in filter on the other valve cover & then keep an eye on it as Cas said...if it still mists after a hard run, u can either put a pvc valve in or plumb the covers to a puke tank at the back of the boat...if u go to a pvc valve...Ford makes a spacer plate that has the fitting in it already (all early 4bbl mtrs)...u can find 1 in the wrecking yard for next to nothing...just my .02 cents
fastrat

loudpipessavelives
06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
i had the same problem with the valve covers , i had a cheap set of stamped moroso's and they were betn, i got a set of cast aluminums and threw on a pcv valve and it was good to go

centerhill condor
06-21-2006, 04:35 AM
fel pro makes nice reusable gaskets for you... have you checked the oil before and after? as for pcv... you should have it. you're breathing the air too.

YumaBiesemeyer
06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I apologize if this is a hijack - I hope it is related enough.
I loose a little oil each time out also, but my oil pressure stays pegged at 80 all day. Does this indicate a problem? If so, any solutions?
How much is a little? Its not unusual for some bigblocks to use a little. If you are adding oil each time you go out it may be valve seals and or guides or possibly rings. Ever foul plugs? If it has been doing it as long as you have had it, it may be rings that did not seat properly when new. If it runs good and does not foul plugs I would not worry.