PDA

View Full Version : Marine from Desert Storm Poker Run - How sad is this..

C-2
06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
.Over the past several months I have been in contact with Karen Gill, who operates her Marine Corps charity known as Troops Now & Tomorrow, Inc.. Hands down, Karen is the real deal and has been recognized by People magazine and other media for her tireless efforts.
At the Desert Storm poker run in April, Karen lined up six Marines from Iraq to attend the run for some R & R they would never forget. And several participants stepped up and gave these soldiers the rides of their lives (they also said the scenery wasn’t bad either ;) ).
One of these Marines was PFC Kris Taylor. He is the Marine in the photo in plain clothes:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132shedstuff2.jpg
Today Karen sent me an email which broke my heart. It speaks for itself:
---------
For those of you at the Desert Poker Run back in April. You may recall a young Marine, PFC Kristopher Taylor, he's had quite a battle with Cancer at the young age of 18-19 years old. I've been supporting Kris since he was diagnosed following the rupture of an unknown brain tumor on his brain stem following Graduation from Marine Corps Boot Camp. Following surgery for two tumors and radiation therapy, Kris was on the mend and had a clear bill of health (which is why he was able to attend the Poker Run). Kris is part of my extended family that we've adopted.
I recevied a call from Kris two days ago, he's back in the hospital. His brain cancer has returned, and attacked his spine as well. The prognosis is two months to live. He's very sick, has double vision with very poor short term memory.
He'll be getting an MRI on Monday and undergo a Shunt Surgery to relieve the fluids and pressure on his brain. His mother has arrived and is with him, his brother (Marine just back from Iraq) will be with him Tuesday. When he called his Father to tell him he was back in the hospital, he found out his Dad is also in a Hospital in Phoenix due to multiple strokes. His family, friends and Marine's from Med Hold are by his side. Soldier's Angels organization is delivering a Lap Top Computer to him along with morale support. His spirits are strong, he's still fighting! His only wish is to see his Dad.
They hope to transfer him to Texas (MD Anderson, Houston Tx) on Friday. He'll be living with his brother's Mother-In-Law who is a nurse and lives near MD Anderson, once he's able.
I'll continue to keep you updated. If you would like to email messages of support, my friend Maria Edwards will deliver the printed emails to Kris daily. She's spending alot of time each day with he and his family at the hospital. Her email "Maria Edwards" jedward1@san.rr.com
Thank You for any and all of your support, thoughts and prayers.
Semper Fidelis! (Always Faithful)
Sincerely,
Karen Gill
Troops Now & Tomorrow, Inc.
----------
As we make summer plans with our families and friends, please keep this kid in your thoughts. I’m sure PFC Taylor, his family and friends are grateful for every passing day he is with us.
Think about the resolve of this young man who is fighting not only for his life, but for the opportunity to follow his dream of being able to serve his country. Too me, he is the definition of a soldier.
PFC Taylor needs words of encouragement. We need to make sure his resolve remains strong and he continues to fight.
Please send him a quick email with your encouraging thoughts.
Maybe a quick little story or blurb about Havasu and/or the boating lifestyle we all enjoy. I sent him an email, introducing myself and extending an open invitation for a fun-filled Havasu weekend. I made small chit chat, and joked he looks like a Ford guy, but I wouldn’t hold it against him. And of course I thanked him for his courage and told him to keep up the good fight. When sending email, please also be mindful that clergy or military chaplains might be reading it to him.
It’s only an email, please send him one.
Email can be sent to the following contact: "Maria Edwards" jedward1@san.rr.com
Thanks,
C2

C-2
06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Also,
Please keep this thing bumped to the top! :)

THOR
06-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Does the email go to Maria Edwards.

JustDawn
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
...Craig,thanks for posting this.
E-Mails on the way....(PlayDeep)

Tremor Girl
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Wow, this really hits close to home for me. Email has been sent

poncho-pwr
06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
E-mail sent! Prayers sent as well.

Wet Dream
06-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Sent

GHT
06-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Terrible....... I just hope there is something they can do. If not, I truely hope he doesn't suffer.. :frown: :frown:

little rowe boat
06-19-2006, 12:48 PM
This is very sad. I wish I could understand why, things like this happen to young people. :cry:

DILLIGAF
06-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Damn, that is a bad break for the young guy. :(

Garrddogg
06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
ah man that sux. words just dont describe...

C-2
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Does the email go to Maria Edwards.
Address it to Kris, c/o Maria Edwards

THOR
06-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Done
bump, too

Jrocket
06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Man I just hate to read stuff like that.As soon as I figure out what to say to this poor guy,I'll send one.
This really sucks,a guy that is so young and is devoting part of his life to defend his country,ends up having to deal with this in his life.What a f'n bummer for this young kid!
C'mon people,take a few minutes out of your life to help raise this poor guys spirits.

C-2
06-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks everybody, keep em coming. :)

THEPISTONHEAD
06-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Mail sent. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

AZJD
06-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Damn, I remember seeing him at the run..........I will say a little prayer for him 2nite!

Charley
06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Mail sent, God bless you Kris

MagicMtnDan
06-20-2006, 09:33 PM
E-mail sent and also forwarded to a number of others who will send their regards.
Thanks

Devil's Advocate
06-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Email sent.....along with prayers.

LakeRacer
06-21-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm thankful that we have young men and women like Kris Taylor who are willing to fight the good fight. As a Marine you know he has the testicular fortitude to win this battle with cancer. God bless all of our troops.
Email was sent this morning

AZ CAJUN
06-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Done!
I remember this kids smile as he was handing out Koozie's at the Desert Storm dinner. I hate to here he is sick again. Please thank Karen for keeping us updated.

Tom Brown
06-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Sometimes life is a mother ****er. :(
I don't know you Kris but I sure feel for you.

DD_Tahiti
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Semper Fi Devil Dog.... Tell him to keep his chin up.... E-Mailed....

C-2
06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I received an update that Kris made it thru the Shunt surgery and began chemo. They will try to move him home to Texas so he can be with his family. His doctors would rather Kris spend his remaining time with family and friends, and not in a hospital.
God Bless this kid.
----------------
Thanks everybody for your help.