PDA

View Full Version : Jet Maintenance. Oil/grease questions

stashtrey
06-19-2006, 11:02 AM
So it is now apparent to me that you have to actually oil and grease your jet.
I know I have a little nipple fitting on the top of the jet unit which is inside the transom..... can I just use the same grease I use for my bearing buddies on this? Will the grease gun work the same or do I need to use something else?
Also... the two black plastic screws on the bowl.... I just remove those and fill one until it comes out the other hole? What kind of oil should I put in there?
My jet must be mad at me because I've never once done this.

FASTRAT
06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I know I have a little nipple fitting on the top of the jet unit which is inside the transom..... can I just use the same grease I use for my bearing buddies on this? Will the grease gun work the same or do I need to use something else?
Also... the two black plastic screws on the bowl.... I just remove those and fill one until it comes out the other hole? What kind of oil should I put in there?
ys u can use the same grease...i use the Hi-Temp grease that RexMarine sells for most all applications (boat, trailer, truck etc)...works great...there are many opinions on the wt of oil to use in ur jet...its just there to lubricate the shaft, so i guess any wt oil is fine...i personally use an industrial Hi-Temp grease in my pump...my builder told me it dissappiates any water that might get in there better...i have always used it with n/p...just fill in 1 hole 'til it comes out the other (oil)...just my .02 cents
fastrat

slingingsmoke
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
can someone post pics of what hole to put oil in, in the jet...? Please...
I'm in the process of doing my first "at home" seasonal maintenance.
so far...
Spark plugs (8), oil, oilfilter, fuel filters/Water separator (2), and PCV valve so far.....
any other tips on the jet itself...I have an American Turbine w/ an AB impeller.
thanks again, JON.

HBjet
06-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I use gear oil, 80-90wt. Also it a lot easier to fill with the bottle it comes in.
HBjet

slingingsmoke
06-19-2006, 12:42 PM
please post pic on where to fill.....please...

Rampager
06-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I use grease (a good quality synthetic) in the bowl as well as the thrust bearing. You simply swap out one of the plugs for a grease fitting and pump till it comes out the other side.(AT recommends this)
The plugs everyone is refering to are on the bowl and usually appear at 10:30 and 1:30 in location (altho a bowl can be bolted on so they are at different places) and are on the rearward part of the bowl where it rolls over towards the smaller dia. They will be 90 degree's from each other and are usually plastic with a square head on them
Cheers

SmokinLowriderSS
06-19-2006, 02:51 PM
I happen to use a waterproof marine red grease Duane sells (HTP is pretty local to me), and whatever 85/140wt GL-5 gear lube I have arround, Currently Mystic JT-8 premium stuff.
I put brass pipe plugs in mine, and a 90* elbow in one so is easier to fill.

slingingsmoke
06-19-2006, 03:10 PM
so which is better....running the grease in the Bowl or heavy weight oil?

slingingsmoke
06-19-2006, 03:28 PM
nevermind....I just got off the phone w/ AT and seems like my boat has a Legend intake elbow, an AT pump, and a Berkely bowl (mounted upside down) might I add..... So, AT told me that if the bowl is mounted upside down, that there may be a grease provision for it. They said that there will be a zerk fitting facing with the flow of water in the nozzle....so i'll have to check and get back to you guys on Wednesday.....
FWIW, if its not an American Turbine bowl, DO NOT just put a zerk fitting on it and grease it up. It will blow the seal. and if it is a Berkeley bowl that has not been retrofitted to use grease, then you MUST use oil.
JON.

GunninGopher
06-19-2006, 05:44 PM
How should I go about draining the bowl on my Berk 12JE and replacing the oil in it?
I'd like to do this sometime, and would hope that I don't have to pull the bowl to do it.
I used to have that jet pump maintenance book that is out of print, but I loaned it to someone and you know how that goes.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Just put good oil in 1 plug hole till clean oil flows out the other side. No need to really "change" it.

rerfert
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
In the interest of learning more about jets...Can someone post a picture to look at??

El Prosecutor
06-20-2006, 06:07 PM
In the interest of learning more about jets...Can someone post a picture to look at??
Bowl oil fill plugs are #44
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252Berkeley_12Jc_Drawing.jpg

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
06-21-2006, 08:32 AM
I Just Use A Good Quality Grease On The Shaft And For The Bowl I Use Mercruiser 92-802851a1 Stern Drive Gear Lube In A Tube. Great Stuff, Cheap!...bill. 617-288-1000/parts.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I just run mine watercolled like a dominator;);) I only grease ujoints and front thrust bearring;)

Devilman
06-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I just run mine watercolled like a dominator;);) I only grease ujoints and front thrust bearring;)
And this means ????

jbone
06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
My Dominator by American Turbine does not have the fill holes. I'm assuming I only hit the zerk inside the bowl in the center and the zerk by the drive line on the intake inside the boat.
Is this right?
J

james
06-22-2006, 11:45 PM
If you have a 12j bowl as I do, you will have four holes. Two on top and two on bottom. Make sure your bottom holes are sealed with an allen and locktite if your not runing with a ride plate, these are your ride plate mounts. I would remove your droop or bolted attachment and remove the rear bearing cap. It will look like a missle cone or just a big bolt in the center. If any water leaks out your rear end bearing seal is out and it will not help to put any oil in the bowl. If it is leaking it is better to leave the end cap off and let the water do the cooling.
james

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-23-2006, 06:44 AM
And this means ????
that I dont have to grease it back there;)

Hallett19
06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
I use mobil 1 synthetic red grease in the pump, thrust and trailer bearings

El Prosecutor
06-23-2006, 10:39 AM
I use mobil 1 in the pump, thrust and trailer bearings
Same here - even expensive grease is cheap insurance.

slingingsmoke
06-23-2006, 09:02 PM
just did all the service......as I was replacing the spark plugs I noticed some cracks in the exhaust manifolds, No wonder why I had a little extra water in the bilge! leak isn't bad enough to change em out yet...maybe next season....
BTW, as I was finishing up, I broke the cable that connects to the jet nozzle deflector.....anyway just want to say thanks to Bob at BURBANK Marine in CA for taking me in and doing the job for me even though they are completely swamped.
all in all, this was my first time around doing maintenance on the boat....not to shabby, things are pretty easy and will be even easier next year....
See ya guys at Havasu on July 4-7.
JON.