PDA

View Full Version : New Engine and Scared!!!

h2oboy
06-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Well I just had a new engine built and dropped more than 3K into it, and am now so nervious to start it.... Nothing too fancy has been done to it(few upgrades) Has anyone had this problem??
Would love a little help from some of my AZ engine guys if possible....

460 jus getn it
06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Well I just had a new engine built and dropped more than 3K into it, and am now so nervious to start it.... Nothing too fancy has been done to it(few upgrades) Has anyone had this problem??
Dude its nothing new. I was the same way when i first went to start my first engine. When i first started mine i looked at it like this, either its going to run or its going to BLOW the Fock up......Good luck and hope to see you at the lake soon.

HBjet
06-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Try spending 4 times that and the first day it runs its taken to 7,000rpm on the dyno!
HBjet

jbone
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
It will just take a few times getting back to the dock under your own power and you'll be nailing with the best of them.
If its gonna break it will probably do it early.
J

Big H
06-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Try spending 4 times that and the first day it runs its taken to 7,000rpm on the dyno!
HBjet
I concur...Put together my all new 540 BBC with an ATI Pro Charger and spent a nail-biter of day a few weeks back watching the guys flog it on the dyno to 6500 RPM. I felt my stomach toss and my wallet cry out in terror. :cry:

'78 gt boat
06-19-2006, 02:49 PM
I spent more than that on mine and when it started for the first time to break in the cam I was sooooo nervous my face was like this :2purples: :eek: :D :D :cool:. I agree that if it's gonna break it will break early. Thanks again to Lakes Only fornthe motor the thing friggin screams!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

GUGS102
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Flat tappet or roller? Who built the motor? Marine clearances etc.? What type of oil do you have in it for break in? Make sure to add the GM EOS (engine oil supplement) before the first fire.
If the clearances are right and the motor guy knows his stuff give 'er hell! Ask the motor builder to join you for the first trip to the water.

LAFD
06-19-2006, 02:54 PM
dont be scared its either gunna run bitchen or blow up. either way who ever built the motor should stand behind there work if anything does happen. so fire it up and have fun.....

HBjet
06-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I concur...Put together my all new 540 BBC with an ATI Pro Charger and spent a nail-biter of day a few weeks back watching the guys flog it on the dyno to 6500 RPM. I felt my stomach toss and my wallet cry out in terror. :cry:
there is just something odd about a motor, spinning that RPM, making all the noise and power, and its just sitting there, not going anywhere...
HBjet

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
its all good jpey. One of our friends just smoked a 455 this weekend:eek: Who did your machine work? WHat did they set the bearring clearances at? Thats the key!!!!!!!!

john
06-19-2006, 05:49 PM
make sure u set ur rockers. i know some who didn't and is now paying for but i don't remember who it was. lol :rollside: :rollside:

centerhill condor
06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
welcome to my world... up until about 3 weeks ago it was about a grand an hour... now we're way down to about 6 bills and dropping almost daily! woo hoo! but you'll be feelin' things and hearing things for a few weeks! just relax and let the medication do its job! You're gonna love IT!

slotracer
06-19-2006, 06:00 PM
like they said it will either blow or go :2purples: . if all is well you should have no problems if built right. once you get the break in done if anything is not clearanced right it will either set it and be fine or tighten up and let go. i built my bbc 461 and took it easy for the first few minutes then hammered the hell out of it. it turns a a/b imp @ 5200 rpm's all day with no problems. all i did was set the rings loose as per directions and that was 5 years ago. call me lucky but it works. pushed my tahiti hull to 70 mph on gps :)

steelcomp
06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
HBjet7200!! :220v:

Daytona100
06-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Grab a cold one or two and a buddy and let her rip. Two sets of eyes are better than one. Check for leaks set the timeing and have some fun.

steelcomp
06-19-2006, 06:10 PM
there is just something odd about a motor, spinning that RPM, making all the noise and power, and its just sitting there, not going anywhere...
HBjetI used to think that about Pro Stock motors...6" concrete floor, solid block building construction, bulletproof glass in the control room, and the ground was shaking! 500ci, 10,500 rpm, ~1300 hp, just sitting there screaming.

stompnstang
06-19-2006, 06:55 PM
i was lucky enuff to get to watch a friends class 5 mud rail motor get put on the dyno. 21K in the motor and you could watch the color drain from his face as the rr's went up at 8500 i thought he was a stand in for the casper movie. even to the point i moved behind him just incase he fainted he got the pale. all the money out of his own pocket and to watch those guy thrash on it like that had to make the old rose bud pucker really tight. but the guy that ran the dyno was the same guy that built it and before fire said " i stand behind all my work WAY behind just incase it blows" then laughed alil and fired it up.
been 3 years and still beating that motor to death change out the normal each year and back to the thrashing .
grab a frostie a buddy and and enjoy the time.....good luck

DEL51
06-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I was worried when my dyno operator said," if we flogg it again for this amount of time you will need new springs, and maybe other stufff. so far, so good.

h2oboy
06-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys!!! I guess I will need to get out there and let her rip!!! well I guess I will break it all in first. I had the engine built in NM by a repitable engine place called BEST automotive. Been around for many years and have built things for my family in the past. Everything was balanced and test run at the shop, but you know how it goes hooking everthing back up and timing it... should be a lot of fun.....
I hope to see some people at Saugro soon!!! Look for a 79 southwind!!

shaun
06-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Hell, i dont even have my engine together yet and i'm nervous about it.

Some Kind Of Monster
06-20-2006, 01:18 AM
built in NM by a repitable engine place called BEST automotive.
Does this shop know marine motors? Like 396 said, what are your clearances? I just went through all this with a shop that has been building automotive motors for some 50 years but never once built a marine motor. We had to tell him to machine loose clearances etc. etc. and he thought we were crazy until we showed him proof.

Gearhead
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I used to think that about Pro Stock motors...6" concrete floor, solid block building construction, bulletproof glass in the control room, and the ground was shaking! 500ci, 10,500 rpm, ~1300 hp, just sitting there screaming.
Steel..... Yep that is something to watch! Before I got my dyno back in the early '90's, I was traveling to Houston to Marvin Shaw's at USA Racing engines AKA The Wop Shop. This particular session we were going to run our new 445" Dodge Comp Eliminator engine. We first warmed her up, set the valves and were then going to make the first pull from 7000 to 9000 when Marv turned to me and asked if I minded if he kissed my wife. I replied, "Why do you ask such?" and his response was... " 'Cause this is going to feel a whole lot like that!"