PDA

View Full Version : Kumho vs BFG

shaun
06-19-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm looking at the Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 tires and the BGF all terrian T/A KO tires. I've heard that the BFG's AT are a good tire but havnt heard anything on the kumho's yet. Anybody running them? They are about $100 cheaper per tire. I know 'you get what you pay for' but thats not always true. :)

godfather
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
pm HOSS he can tell you more about them he sells them and also used them on his wifes car.

LOWRIVER2
06-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I've got 37" Kumho venture a/t's on my F250. 5k miles on them with no issues. I've had BFG all terrains on three other trucks.
BFG's are probably better off road as rubber is softer, more aggressive tread. The other side of this is that you have to rotate the BFG's religiously to get the mileage out of them.
The Kumho's are "shorter" in tread heigth and harder compound. Much quieter on the highway than the BFG's. I don't do too much off road other than graded fire roads so I don't think the difference will bother me over the BFG's.
I like the look of the BFG better but the price of the Kumho's was nice. I also don't miss all the pea gravel that got "shot" out of the little crevices of the BFG's to my rocker panels every time I left my river park/LOL
My two cents

shaun
06-19-2006, 04:09 PM
i did some searching and read alot of reviews. Many of the reviews i read where from people who have used both. Most of the people recommended the kumho's over the bfg's so i just ordered a set from www.discounttiredirect.com. Great site, free shipping... They beat the local shops by about $50 per tire!!

GOT TINT?
06-20-2006, 07:47 AM
i have a set of khumos on my f250, the only thing i have an issue with is having to run pretty low air pressure to get them to wear on the entire width of the tire, but they are quiet as far as road noise and are great in the sand.

CBadDad
06-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Very interesting. I have only run BFG T/A's on all of my last 5 trucks.
I was just shopping for tires for my GF's Corvette and the reviews said that the Kuhmos didn't last, but since they were considerably cheaper it really was a push. I know a lot of the guys in the Posche Racing Club run Kuhmos because of the cost,but maybe on the trucks it'll be something that I should consider. Keep us updated.

shaun
06-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty happy with the tires so far. They seam to be the loudest around 40-50 MPH. They definitly make the truck look more like a truck course i did have the crap stockers on that came with it before... They seam to grab good so far, well see this weekend when i try to pull out the boat and jetski's...

77charger
06-22-2006, 06:21 PM
I have used bfgs on 3 vehichles i owned 3 sets of all terrains and 2 of the muds.All have bben great tires i liked the muds better for my use IMO.On my 2500hd i needed a new set of tires but the bfgs have gotten expensive thought about the kuhmos also ended up with americas tires pathfinder all terrains similar to a bfg in an E rating for 200 bucks cheaper and to be honest i think they work better in the sand too.
But wear on bfgs have been very good on all vehichles(the pathfinders seem to be doing very good too).Bfgs have better sidewall than most tires also which can be a plus in some situations

WannabeRacing
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I used to be a BFG guy. Died in the wool!
Then when some of the other tire manufacturers started throwing money at drag racing, I decided to try them. (But very sceptical.)
Tried a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my old Blazer. The greatly decreased tire noise was noticed right away. The wear was much better. Less need for rotation, and less cupping. The performance was a touch better, and the price was still cheaper. Tried other of their tires on other vehicles including Suburban, Full size Blazer, Trailblazer and a few cars too.
I have tried a few of the Kumhos with decent results. But I am sticking with the Nitto/Toyo deal. You could not make me go back for all the tea in China.
They also have AT tire, a Mud tire and a Dune for off road. Look aggressive, but run on pavement VERY well.
Sorry, not tried a Kuhmo on a truck.