PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question But Here Goes......

'78 gt boat
06-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a 18ft. Spectra jet and I was wondering how much if any amount of water should be in the bilge at the end of the day with moderate time on the water. I seem to be getting a bit too much and think I might have a problem buy I'm not sure. Any suggestions or advice will be helpfull :) :)

BigBlockBaja
06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I get enough to have to run the bilage about 2 times a day. Have ya tightened your packing gland nuts a little? Not much. 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time till the water slows down to just a drip or two a minute. Hope that helps ya.

Cas
06-19-2006, 03:35 PM
put the plug in while the boat is on the trailer and fill the bilge with water. If you see water dripping underneath, you've got a leak to take care of.
If you have headers, you will get quite a bit of water from the weep holes. Also, check the seals where the cables go through the transom adaptor.
My automatic bilge cycles about once an hour or so.

TRUMP TIGHT
06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I have a 76 18ft spectra and i have the same problem!:cry:

Ken F
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
If you have rub-rail around your boat, oftentimes the rivets will leak also. This can be stopped by dabbing the backside with some silicone sealant.
I'd suggest finding a quite spot on the lake, and crawling back there and listening...usually you can hear it drip.
Ken F

riverbound
06-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I HAD a Spectra 18 and had a decent ammoutn of water in the bildge at the end of the day, but never enought to worry me. My buddy had the same boat with TT headers and he had MUCH more water due to the weep holes. I would run my bilge pump once in the morning and once at the end of the day. I would also leave my boat in the water for days at a tme with no issues.
FYI...if your bow loop is lose quite a bit of water will come through there. I was constantly tightening on mine. and when it was lose it would let a decent ammount of water in.

'78 gt boat
06-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I only seem to get water in the bilge while running it. I have left it in the water overnight and checked it in the morning and no water. I hope this eliminates leaks in the boat itself. I will check the bow hook since it always seems to be wet up front in the little storage area. :confused: I'll try putting water in it with the plug in and seeing what happens. I got scared over the holiday weekend at berryessa and thought I was sinking the damn thing cause of how much water seemed to be in there. A sigh of relief to know a little bit more about being a boat owner. :skull: :skull:

centerhill condor
06-20-2006, 03:39 AM
any amount appear more than it really is... take a gallon jug and a chronograph and see how little water your pump is actually discharging.
I've got a float on the pump and leave the switch on so I can focus on other activities!

LakesOnly
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
GT,
How does the Motor (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102414) itself run? We've had several inquiries about duplicating that build for others.
I would be happy to help fine tune (timing/jetting) at a lake this summer...maybe Anderson?
LO

Gearhead
06-24-2006, 08:13 PM
If you have rub-rail around your boat, oftentimes the rivets will leak also. This can be stopped by dabbing the backside with some silicone sealant.
I'd suggest finding a quite spot on the lake, and crawling back there and listening...usually you can hear it drip.
Ken F
Do what??? You think I can hear a drip? Too many years of loud music, loud engines and loud women.... As time goe by it is a little harder to "crawl back there" too! :)
Thanks for the post Ken... just had to pun a little with my growing lack of hearing!
Gearhead

4604me
06-24-2006, 09:31 PM
while on the water, have someone drive so you can inspect the pump at the transom on the inside.if it's a berk pump you could have a leak at the bowl gasket. it will actually pump water into the boat. slow, but enough to be concerned about. it happened to me, good luck

'78 gt boat
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Lakes,
The engine is running great!!! It has a real nice mild lope to it at idle and heads have a tendancy to turn when I fire it up, as the boat I have is no racer what so ever. I have not played with the timing or jetting, so some help would be greatly appreciated. I am having a hell of a time getting into Anderson now that you have to have a reservation to get on the water. Maybe a trip to Berryessa is due to test and tune but that would require a full day. I'll let you know. I can't say thanks enough for the build. This motor to me is the sh$!. I know it will last a long time and produce quite a bit of power. :crossx: :crossx: I know it has a lot more gggrrrrrrr in her I just don't want to push it with only 15 or so hours on it. Maybe when I get to about 20 hours I'll try jumping on it a little. Thanks again, :) :)

LakesOnly
06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Lakes,
The engine is running great!!! It has a real nice mild lope to it at idle and heads have a tendancy to turn when I fire it up. I have not played with the timing or jetting, so some help would be greatly appreciated. I am having a hell of a time getting into Anderson now that you have to have a reservation to get on the water. Maybe a trip to Berryessa is due to test and tune but that would require a full day. I can't say thanks enough for the build. This motor to me is the sh$!. I know it will last a long time and produce quite a bit of power. :crossx: :crossx: I know it has a lot more gggrrrrrrr in her I just don't want to push it with only 15 or so hours on it. Maybe when I get to about 20 hours I'll try jumping on it a little. Thanks again, :) :)
GT,
Anderson requires boat launch reservations only on weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day, so if a weekday is an option just let me know (no reservation required). Or, PM me with a weekend date and I'll see what I can do about getting us a reservation. A trip to Berryessa might not be a problem for me on a w/e.
Glad you're happy with the motor build; we'll get it dialed.
LO

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-27-2006, 09:58 AM
filling the bilge with water is the best way to find a leak in the rear. The only thing you need to worry about is that you dont over fill it!!!!!!! make sure that the thrust bearring on the pump doesnt get soaked. THe seals are designed to keep grease in and thats it! They werent designed to keep water out!!!!!!
I have not seen one jetboat that didnt leak. Some leak more than others but thats normal. Hell, I even see ski boats,bass boats and cruisers bilge out alot of water.....