PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is To Much $$$$$

SummerBreeze
01-05-2006, 02:31 PM
I was having some trouble with my truck an 04 F-250 4x4 4 door 6.0 Diesel.
Rough idling..... falling on it's face when taking of from a light. The manuels say to change the air filter only when the guage in the air box says to. I looked at guage and it says its okay.... I looked at the filter it looked from what I could tell to be okay too... I have 30k miles on the truck.
So I just picked up a air filter for $102.94 at the dealer. I installed it and the truck works fine now... W.T.F. is up with the guage???

dmontzsta
01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Rough idling..... falling on it's face when taking of from a light. The manuels say to change the air filter only when the guage in the air box says to. I looked at guage and it says its okay.... I looked at the filter it looked from what I could tell to be okay too... I have 30k miles on the truck.
So I just picked up a air filter for $102.94 at the dealer. I installed it and the truck works fine now... W.T.F. is up with the guage???
The air filter has a gauge? thats the first time I have heard of something like that, pretty crazy stuff. $102 is a little psycho. I would have probably scraped the factory stuff and payed a little more for an aftermarket setup.

Sotally Tober
01-05-2006, 02:40 PM
The guage measures vacumm. I sure wouldn't trust it. For 102 bucks I think you could of gotten a K&N.

soupersonic
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Sounds like your filterminder (guage) may not be working properly. Diesels are very sensitive to dirt. Therefore you must keep the air and fuel filter clean. I change my filters every 15,000. Basically every other oil change. I have an aftermarket air filter with a spare to rotate in. At the price you paid for a stock air filter i would sure look at the BHAF or the AFE Proguard 7 . They are cleanable.

J540
01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
For sure get rid of the stock one and get an AirAid intake sys,. way better.

essexjet
01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Definatly change that stock air filter. I picked up a K&N FIPK for just under $300 best thing I bought for my duty.

soupersonic
01-05-2006, 03:55 PM
From everything ive read on the diesel forums (take that for what its worth) the K&N filter lets too much dirt in on the diesels.

Jordy
01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
From everything ive read on the diesel forums (take that for what its worth) the K&N filter lets too much dirt in on the diesels.
Hmmm... any takers???
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23popcorn.jpg
:D :D :D

soupersonic
01-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Noone asked you Mr Pot Stirrer

Riverkid
01-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Then buy an AFE. My truck is out in the dirt constantly and I check it a lot. It stays much cleaner than the K&N I had on my '01 SD...

stvneil
01-05-2006, 06:20 PM
:rollside: actually the ford filter is a better performer than the k&n, except is is not reusable. just my .02

essexjet
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Where is Bowtie Rick? :rollside:

HOSS
01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
`bout a dollar

LUVNLIFE
01-05-2006, 06:39 PM
He will def set the KandN story straight. :cool:

essexjet
01-05-2006, 06:46 PM
He will def set the KandN story straight. :cool:
Hey Cale, Ryan said I should take a look at you tool box.
Now I know he is gay

Run_em_Hard
01-06-2006, 04:59 AM
:rollside: actually the ford filter is a better performer than the k&n, except is is not reusable. just my .02
Neil is correct, in a diesel you do not want to run a K&N. They are great in a gasser but diesels flow way to much air for a K&N. I am not quite sure about the Ford upgrades(own a Dodge) but I run what is call a BHAF, big honkin air filter. Pick em up at Napa for about $50. Basically it is a large canister paper airfilter that hookes up directly to the intake tube(removes entire air box). The one I have is about a 10 inch diameter by a little over a foot long with a four inch intake hole. Sucks all the air you could ever want, makes the turbo scream, and they even have prefilters for them.

Waist Deep
01-06-2006, 05:04 AM
Make your own Air Raid for about $49.00. Napa filter and a piece of 4" stainless pipe. Get rid of the stock stuff.

mxbundy
01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Have you taken it in to the dealer yet?
Mine had all the same problems that you are having and after several visits to the severice department, 1 turbo, new injectors, several reflashes and its still not right! :220v:
I tell you I bleed blue, but this truck has not lived up to my eexspectations!
bundy

Run_em_Hard
01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Well another point, was the truck smoking anymore that usual? If your filter is real bad it can and will start to cause a problem, but along with that problem you will notice more smoke. Less air equals more smoke. Might be more than just a filter change.

KLEPTOW
01-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Fuel filters on modern injected auto's and trucks will cause more miss diagnosed problems that anything else.

BowTie Rick
01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmmm... any takers???
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23popcorn.jpg
:D :D :D
I'll have a handful, LOL. No, diesels do NOT necessarily require more filtration than a gasser. The real reason they have such a heavy duty filter is for the HOLDING CAPACITY. A regular filter needs to be cleaned or changed too often to make it user friendly. Remember the 4 revisions Ford did on a the panel filter on the 7.3L's and the 5,000 mile service life? Better filtration is beneficial as the turbo moves at a very high rate of speed, but not the ultra-filtration the 6.0L stock filter does. All K&N diesel filters are 6 layer and have been so for 20 some-odd years, its nothing new. In fact, the Airaid and AFE extra synthetic layers cannot come all the way clean and eventually they will collapse on you. A K&N WILL FILTER AS GOOD OR BETTER than what they replace, its a company requirement. As for the internet and taking what you read as gosspil, you sure haven't been here long have you, LOL. Most of the diesel sites are run by advertisers that hawk their products under the guise of "experts" or "mechanics". They are heavy posters that make them look like leaders when in fact, they are nothing more than salesmen. As for the test done by a guy named "spicer" seen on most diesel boards, we are looking for you, our lawyers would like to have word with you :crossx: :skull: