PDA

View Full Version : Boat just about died each time I > > >

LHC Kirby
06-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Each time I pushed the little button to raise or lower the out drive (Volvo Penta I/O). It would just start to die and the alarm would sound that sounds if the key is off..... I would only push the button for a second - releasing it kept the engine running - which I than preceeded straight to Launch ramp to remove the boat - I didn't get to the lauinch ramp for a couple of hours.
any one want to take a guess?
I am going for $1.00 taco's at Senior Murphy's and a little beer - I'll check back later for your suggestions and let you now what it was.... :rolleyes:

riverbound
06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
My guess (and thats all it is)
is some sort of elctrical short, maybe in the trim motor thats causing the elctrical system to freak out when the button is pushed. Maybe in the trim motor itself.

phebus
06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
My guess is your trim motor is bad, and going to ground. I would take a set of jumper wires, and go straight from the battery to the trim pump, and see if it works.

phebus
06-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Bill beat me to it :D

riverbound
06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Bill beat me to it :D
I know nothing about mechanics or electrical so I am probably wrong though ;)

Todd969
06-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Each time I pushed the little button to raise or lower the out drive (Volvo Penta I/O). It would just start to die and the alarm would sound that sounds if the key is off..... I would only push the button for a second - releasing it kept the engine running - which I than preceeded straight to Launch ramp to remove the boat - I didn't get to the lauinch ramp for a couple of hours.
any one want to take a guess?
I am going for $1.00 taco's at Senior Murphy's and a little beer - I'll check back later for your suggestions and let you now what it was.... :rolleyes:
Senior Murphy's ??? Isn't it Bad Miguels now?

JB in so cal
06-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I know nothing about mechanics or electrical so I am probably wrong though ;)
I'm sure you've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, though!

Nord
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
if it isn't any of the above, I would say batteries!!!
Same thing happened to me last year!!
It only happened at an idle though

phebus
06-19-2006, 05:54 PM
if it isn't any of the above, I would say batteries!!!
Same thing happened to me last year!!
It only happened at an idle though
Good thought.
Get a voltmeter, and see what you've got.

YODA
06-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Check your alternator output. You may be running off your batteries thus the huge drain.

LHC Kirby
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Senior Murphy's ??? Isn't it Bad Miguels now?
Ding Ding Ding - You are correct on the name -tacos are still good and the Beer is still COLD..
Boat Problem = you all are pretty good and I thought of all those things as I headed to the ramp. . . I was thinking - short to ground?, short to where ever . . . .? bad trim motor ? ? as I was mortoring along... I also thought of stopping and shutting everything down and re-starting.... than I thought - great Vessel Assist comes and I explain that I was running to the ramp and decided to stop mid lake to "see if my boat would re-start" I thought that is what a guy would do in a rental.... not me!!
So the ANSWER IS = = = =
=
=
As I was leaving the channel and got out of Thompson bay - one of two Labs on board must have hit the battery switch with his paw and switched me from Battery 2 to "OFF" as I was running. :mad: Never felt anything , but the alternator could not handle the drain of the Trim motor, so as I was cruising, I thought - well if the battery went bad - I'll switch to the other one (not recommended while running) but as I stated earlier I was not gonna shut-off a running boat. . . I went to switch it and found it in the off position :rolleyes: and we all know there is NO WAY I could start the boat in the off position.
so, before you start pulling wires and using meters - remember the basics . . .
thanks for the help. I have told the dogs (Smitty and Max) not to touch the switch in the future or Ball play time will suffer :)