PDA

View Full Version : Bought a prop

revndave
06-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Bought a prop from RBR today.He recommended a 2 blade.He called it his Schiada prop.We'll see how it does next weekend at Parker.

dmontzsta
06-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Sounds good, let us know how it runs. :)

revndave
06-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Sounds good, let us know how it runs. :)
I'll post pics when UPS comes today.

sawtooth
06-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Your Schiada looks very nice/clean, what year is it. Mine looks very much like yours, engine hatch, interior, etc. but it is orange and white. I am converting it to a v drive and would like to know how your new prop works (diam. pitch, two or three blade) and what your combo/setup is, ie what size motor etc. Thanks and good luck with it hope it works out for you.
Chris.

revndave
06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Your Schiada looks very nice/clean, what year is it. Mine looks very much like yours, engine hatch, interior, etc. but it is orange and white. I am converting it to a v drive and would like to know how your new prop works (diam. pitch, two or three blade) and what your combo/setup is, ie what size motor etc. Thanks and good luck with it hope it works out for you.
Chris.
Thanks.Its a 1979.I just bought it so dont know too much about it yet.

VD CRUISER
06-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Did you get the "Riverrace" prop or did you have to something more expensive?

revndave
06-21-2006, 04:43 AM
Did you get the "Riverrace" prop or did you have to something more expensive?
Ron called it the Schiada prop.Cost was 700.00

sofa king smooth
06-21-2006, 06:07 AM
My schiada runs way better with one of Rons prop then with the menkens. The menkens was good for 1or2 miles an hour but rons took alot of vibration out on take off and settle the boat down at speed.
Alot less chance throwing a blade with a braksma then with a menkens.

schiada96
06-21-2006, 06:29 AM
You will find that the true best prop for a Schiada is a Dallas made Menkens prop, he has been making them for years for Schiada, and they are made a certain way for the correct tail lift the Schiada 21's need. I run a 11 1/4 x 15 Stainless 3 Blade and 11 1/2 x 15 Stainless 2 Blade, these seem to be the most common size that most people end up with, just fyi.
Scott
When I had mine I ran a 11.37 x 16 three blade form Dallas and it was cool.
43's in the v drive and 5400 rpm.

sawtooth
06-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Very cool, mine is a '77. You will really injoy the ride, great boats.

Hallett
06-21-2006, 06:53 AM
I had dallas make me a new three blade 11 1/2 15" i had to get the
prop re balanced. the prop was way out of balance and vibrated bad.
for a three blade. gibbs in havasu re balanced it and works great
now you would think spending that kind of money it would right.

Unchained
06-21-2006, 08:27 AM
So you've had that boat for a couple weeks now and must have had it in the water, what are your impressions ?
What prop did the boat come with and what was the reason that you felt you needed to change it ?

olbiezer
06-21-2006, 08:35 AM
some wise man once told me ....."they never sell the boat with the good prop"
how true was that? lol :) :220v:

revndave
06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
So you've had that boat for a couple weeks now and must have had it in the water, what are your impressions ?
What prop did the boat come with and what was the reason that you felt you needed to change it ?
I like the turbo motor.I wasn't impressed with the ride.RBR said it was the prop lifting the tail.Thats what they blamed the ride and bow steer on.Old prop was a Menkins 12x15 3 blade.

superdave013
06-21-2006, 01:37 PM
You will find that the true best prop for a Schiada is a Dallas made Menkens prop, he has been making them for years for Schiada, and they are made a certain way for the correct tail lift the Schiada 21's need. I run a 11 1/4 x 15 Stainless 3 Blade and 11 1/2 x 15 Stainless 2 Blade, these seem to be the most common size that most people end up with, just fyi.
Scott
wouldn't the strut angle have something to do with it too? They seem to be putting them at 7.5 ~ 8 degrees now but were 9+ degrees (at least mine was) back in the day.
I bet Dave's has a pretty steep prop strut angle too. If that's the case I'd think he would want less tail lift in the prop then you would require.
Just thinking out loud. Does my thinking sound correct?

schiada96
06-21-2006, 03:40 PM
wouldn't the strut angle have something to do with it too? They seem to be putting them at 7.5 ~ 8 degrees now but were 9+ degrees (at least mine was) back in the day.
I bet Dave's has a pretty steep prop strut angle too. If that's the case I'd think he would want less tail lift in the prop then you would require.
Just thinking out loud. Does my thinking sound correct?
yep it do
too big a prop and steep strut angle

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Just curious has anyone tried a prop from Chad Hill? I was recently told he had a nice two blade for cruisers. I am looking to try some new props myself. The 3-blade I have now gets too much tail lift over 5300 rpm with 50% gear.

Prop Rod
06-24-2006, 03:06 PM
revndave,
Did the same thing as you, not the same manufacture, but was told this was the prop, the new 2 blade showed little vibration but we gained 300 rpm lost 7-8 mph (gps) and was just about unsafe at top end. As soon as you backed out of the throttle the nose would dig so hard and bow streer it was unsafe. Drove back to camp and changed it immediatly.
Just like huff said, dallas's props are the best so far in my opinion. Has been for a long time. the prob is getting more of them!!

repo man
06-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I like the turbo motor.I wasn't impressed with the ride.RBR said it was the prop lifting the tail.Thats what they blamed the ride and bow steer on.Old prop was a Menkins 12x15 3 blade.
do you still have the old one? if so is it 1 1/8'' shaft? i'd like to try and mabe buy it.

steveo143
06-25-2006, 04:43 AM
Repo, I have a 121/2 - 14 Menkens steel 3 blade your'e welcome to try, not sure if I want to sell. I live in Placentia.
11/8 shaft, 8* strut, twinturbo 21 Dimarco. Didn;t need the tail lift that a Schiada does.

repo man
06-25-2006, 11:26 AM
i might just have too take you up on that

revndave
06-26-2006, 05:07 AM
We'll ran the new prop this weekend.Boat ran about 95mph.Still pulls hard to the right????Any thoughts??Have to drive with 2 hands on the wheel.New prop viberated alittle coming on plane and then goes away.Boat seemed to ride better.

Roaddogg 4040
06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
I pout a steering box in my Schiada and it drove straight as could be. No torque steer at all.
Steve

Marty Gras
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
If you have the Menkens (AZ) prop with the 90 degree cup, you can find no better. If the tail is lifting too much, can't you just move the prop forward??? Just a simple question for all the experts out there. It seems like everyone around here expects to just "throw on a prop" and get instant results. I wish it were that easy!!! I know the props are getting better, but are we at installing and tuning them???

revndave
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I talked to Lee today.I'm bring boat to him after the 4th.We think it may have other issues.Maybe something isnt straight on boat.

cole555
06-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I Have avaliable 11 1/2 x 16 3 blade SS 1 1/8 shaft Prop Menkins or trade for same in 1 inch shaft? :)

RUSHIN ROULETTE
06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey cole, is that the prop you currently run?

SPECTRABRENT
06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
We'll ran the new prop this weekend.Boat ran about 95mph.Still pulls hard to the right????Any thoughts??Have to drive with 2 hands on the wheel.New prop viberated alittle coming on plane and then goes away.Boat seemed to ride better.
Dave,
What kind of steering does your Schiada have?
How much MPH did you pick up with the 2 blade from the 3 blade?
What kind of HP does your motor put out?
Brent

revndave
06-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Dave,
What kind of steering does your Schiada have?
How much MPH did you pick up with the 2 blade from the 3 blade?
What kind of HP does your motor put out?
Brent
It has some dual cable system.I took boat to 95mph this weekend.Didnt feel very safe.I dont know how much hp motor puts out.

SPECTRABRENT
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
It has some dual cable system.I took boat to 95mph this weekend.Didnt feel very safe.I dont know how much hp motor puts out.
How much boost are you putting out @ 95 MPH?
Brent

revndave
06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
How much boost are you putting out @ 95 MPH?
Brent
15lbs.

dmontzsta
06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Dave, it sucks to see you are not happy with the boat yet. I hope you figure it out and get it dialed in. I love Schiadas! Many people have made them work, so the knowledge is there. How does the boat differ from your old boat? I bet it is a big change, with the deep V.

Unchained
06-28-2006, 03:59 AM
It has been quite a learning curve for me to get used to the V drive boat after always having tunnel jets before that tracked absolutely straight.
The V drive tunnel wants to skew around some, felt unsafe with the 12" prop but feels pretty good with an 11" prop.
I rode/drove a couple hydros and their all over the place.
Have'nt ridden in many flats but I assume they skew a lot also.
The jet is a straight line thrust where the V drive always has the rudder fighting against the prop torque.

Marty Gras
06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Dave, how wet is your boat at speed? What RPMs? 15lbs should be bringing much more speed (with or without quickness). A runner bottom that is set up correctly "will move around a little", but should run "straight as a string". If your 'ride' in a V-drive boat feels very comfortable and controled, the boat is too wet.

dmontzsta
06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Those big cruiser like to rock side by side too.

Schiada Time
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Its going to take some getting used to for me as well having only owned a jet and grown up in an i/O. Everybody I talk to who has owned a V-drive said there is no other type of propulsion. Can't wait to drive my Schiada. I figure about two months and I should squeeze one trip in before its time to put it away for the winter.

Unchained
06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Its going to take some getting used to for me as well having only owned a jet and grown up in an i/O. Everybody I talk to who has owned a V-drive said there is no other type of propulsion. Can't wait to drive my Schiada. I figure about two months and I should squeeze one trip in before its time to put it away for the winter.
No other type of propulsion? I don't know about that.
There's gears, shafts, and U-joints making noise and taking up room in the boat.
I know it's more efficient and I'm happy with it but there's some issues that make it less user friendly than the jet drive.