PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Channel and the Mayor

TCHB
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
I tookWell I was in the channel for the boat parade. What suprised me was when a HOUSEBOAT came through the channel. There is a restiction against such size boats. It was NOT a parade entry... it was Harvey and his friends on the top deck having a cocktail party! Fact is we do not need new laws. We need the channel laws that are in place enforced and the laws against public intoxication enforecd. this off the Havasu Newspaper

Ziggy
01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Imagine that.........................lawlessness in the channal.
But I agree with you.....totally. Unilateral enforcement sounds fair.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
The thing is, none of us, or very few of us, will even go to the City Council meeting to express our displeasure with this proposal. I for one just want to see the PD enforce the laws already on the books, have the court make the fines harsher to send the message home. Sure it might take time doing it this way, but the message will be sent loud and clear. The channel is a no tolerance zone, according to the signs, well GD'it enforce the no tolerance laws!
People forget, the channel is THE city park for LHC and as such the behavior of visitors should be in accordance with what they would want to see in THEIR city park at home. And that goes for the residents as well as the tourists.

That Guy
01-05-2006, 03:26 PM
The thing is, none of us, or very few of us, will even go to the City Council meeting to express our displeasure with this proposal. I for one just want to see the PD enforce the laws already on the books, have the court make the fines harsher to send the message home. Sure it might take time doing it this way, but the message will be sent loud and clear. The channel is a no tolerance zone, according to the signs, well GD'it enforce the no tolerance laws!
People forget, the channel is THE city park for LHC and as such the behavior of visitors should be in accordance with what they would want to see in THEIR city park at home. And that goes for the residents as well as the tourists.
Nicely stated Scott....we need to keep our collective eyes on this since it will directly affect most of us in one way or another....the new council has hit "crackpot" in record time..... :yuk: I am inclined to nominate Shadow for Mayor and Kilrtoy as Chief of stirring sh!t up...oops , I mean Police... :crossx:

Havasu_Dreamin
01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Nicely stated Scott....we need to keep our collective eyes on this since it will directly affect most of us in one way or another....the new council has hit "crackpot" in record time..... :yuk: I am inclined to nominate Shadow for Mayor and Kilrtoy as Chief of stirring sh!t up...oops , I mean Police... :crossx:
Thanks Steve. Boy, are you right with the 'crackpot' comment. I'd like to give the council more time but so far it seems everything they ahve proposed or done has been so off the wall and against what the residents want it makes me wonder....... At least Shadow and Kilr can actually vote over there.........

That Guy
01-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Steve. Boy, are you right with the 'crackpot' comment. I'd like to give the council more time but so far it seems everything they ahve proposed or done has been so off the wall and against what the residents want it makes me wonder....... At least Shadow and Kilr can actually vote over there.........
I'm no dummy...that is why I nominated them..... :crossx:

Ziggy
01-05-2006, 03:35 PM
So this is the old "Do as I say and not as I do" dealio eh?
Harvey had too many wallbangers and made a spectical of himself.
It blows me away the things that have happened right off the bat with the new counsil........out of left field.

That Guy
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I find it hard to believe he is an attorney and seems to have no concept of the law :mad:

shadow
01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Great idea!!!! Then me and Kilrtoy can play COPS & ROBBERS in our time off.

2Driver
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
You think they could be more creative than to simply pass a law that negatively affects decent boaters and businesses. There are other ways to deal with the 10% that are the real monkey puss in this equation.

Havasu47
01-05-2006, 04:23 PM
How about we pick a date when there will be city counsel meeting. All show up and voice our concerns profesionally and united!!

H20 Toie
01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I find it hard to believe he is an attorney and seems to have no concept of the law :mad:
yes he does he knows what he can get away with

GHT
01-05-2006, 04:46 PM
yes he does he knows what he can get away with
That's just it. Attorneys are alway exploiting the law as it is written. Laws / rules are put in place with common sense prevailing (generally :rolleyes: ). Then you introduce attorneys whom feel the need to make a name for themselves and PRESTO.... You have an instant "CRACK POT".

Boatcop
01-05-2006, 04:46 PM
How about we pick a date when there will be city counsel meeting. All show up and voice our concerns profesionally and united!!
Just to play devil's advocate, and give you all a heads up, if you plan to do this.
The Havasu City Council will look upon your involvement with this issue in one way. And that way is this:
1. Are you residents? (Not just property owners....voting residents) If not, they couldn't care less about your opinion.
2. Threaten to go somewhere else? BFD! YOU are the element they want to keep out.
3. Your time is up. Thank you for your comments. Now we'll vote to to whatever the hell we want. That is, if the vote hasn't already come before the public comment.
DO NOT FLAME ME FOR THESE COMMENTS!
They are not my feelings, just the reality of how that Council works.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, and give you all a heads up, if you plan to do this.
The Havasu City Council will look upon your involvement with this issue in one way. And that way is this:
1. Are you residents? (Not just property owners....voting residents) If not, they couldn't care less about your opinion.
2. Threaten to go somewhere else? BFD! YOU are the element they want to keep out.
3. Your time is up. Thank you for your comments. Now we'll vote to to whatever the hell we want. That is, if the vote hasn't already come before the public comment.
I have already had some calls from my friends who own businesses out there and wanted to know if we (the boaters) planned on doing anything. Obviously they are ones that work around the channel and make money off of us.

Ziggy
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
They have different languages for alternate purposes....One language we can read and get the same conclusion, then they have the one that just suits them and looks like mumbo-jumbo to us. :mad:
So true Alan, but I don't think its isolated to just there. My city council here is a bunch of numb-nuts that can't see eye to eye on anything and constantly backstab one another...yet they all claim they are working for us po folks.
I hate politics. :220v:

UncleLarry
01-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Some Misstatements in this thread...
For most of last year their was no limit as to the size of the boat that could go thru the channel.. At either end of the channel is a sign that says.. boat lenght limited to 36 ft. When those signs are folded up.. it means any sizie boat is allowed. After memorial day.. those signed were folded up except for twice when they limited the size because.. it was extremely windy..
And yes once and it's still an if the city starts the process for this ordinance then yes -when they call for public comment then we can use everyone to write, be their in person or ?? but it does have to be a professional manner..
So when the big house boat went thru the channel before the boat parade they were not violating any of the laws..
Just thought i would help keep facts to the for front.
Hey I make my living cause you all come out here - I want to keep the channel as is...

RiverDave
01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I tookWell I was in the channel for the boat parade. What suprised me was when a HOUSEBOAT came through the channel. There is a restiction against such size boats. It was NOT a parade entry... it was Harvey and his friends on the top deck having a cocktail party! Fact is we do not need new laws. We need the channel laws that are in place enforced and the laws against public intoxication enforecd. this off the Havasu Newspaper
I guess I'm kind of missing what happened here.. Why are you mad?
Becuase they were drinking on a houseboat?
Or Becuase it was a houseboat?
Not trying to start a fight.. I just don't understand why someone would be upset that someone else went through the channel with a cocktail party going? I thought that was kind of what more or less "everyone" did when they went through the channel?
RD

Ziggy
01-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I guess I'm kind of missing what happened here.. Why are you mad?
Becuase they were drinking on a houseboat?
Or Becuase it was a houseboat?
Not trying to start a fight.. I just don't understand why someone would be upset that someone else went through the channel with a cocktail party going? I thought that was kind of what more or less "everyone" did when they went through the channel?
RD
I think his point was two fold Dave....One: about the boat size limit. Larry indicates the sign folds to allow any size but I thought it varied the size(thats what I've noticed).
Two: Someone in the public position should lead by example and not participate in what he is proposing to ban or minimize with new ordinances.
Basically. Or at least thats how I interpreted it.

That Guy
01-05-2006, 05:22 PM
LOL......RD, the point seems to be that the council shouldn't use the city for their own personal playground. I couldn't care less if old Harvey drove a houseboat through the channel and had a cocktail. The problem is that if one of us did that, we would be an undesireable element and the council would need to create some new bogus ordinance to keep us out....I am relatively sure this new mayor is going to self implode sooner rather than later....

Ziggy
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
self implode ....
LOL---I like that one, made me grin.

RiverDave
01-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I think his point was two fold Dave....One: about the boat size limit. Larry indicates the sign folds to allow any size but I thought it varied the size(thats what I've noticed).
Two: Someone in the public position should lead by example and not participate in what he is proposing to ban or minimize with new ordinances.
Basically. Or at least thats how I interpreted it.
I haven't exactly been swift on the uptake here. I wasn't aware they were planning on banning anything in the channel? I thought they were considering some mooring issues or something, but haven't really read anything about it. I guess I'll go read that billion page thread to see what I'm missing.. Unless someone wants to give me the readers digest version on what's going on.
RD

That Guy
01-05-2006, 05:38 PM
The 0 to crackpot in record time mayor and council are considering banning all parking of boats in the channel....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-05-2006, 05:44 PM
The 0 to crackpot in record time mayor and council are considering banning all parking of boats in the channel....
Man.....
If they ban mooring in the Channel your boat won't know where to go.....
Hehe!!!
CJG
:p

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Keep your sexual fantasies to yourself :rollside:

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Man.....
Hehe!!!
CJG
It will, he still has his GPS to find you and tow you in.....
Sorry I had too Chris.......

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Boat cop hit the nail on the head...
If any of you have ever been to any city council / board meeting, TRUST ME, their minds are made up long before you ever walk in, they listen to you and your comments because it is required by law.
If you do not sign up to speak, PRIOR To the meeting date you will not speak, They do have walk in sign ups, but when it is from people they do not want to hear from the simply say no more time for public comment and move on.....
I told the wife HEY YOU CANT GET A JOB, RUN FOR CITY COUNCIL.
She laughed, but I was serious....

That Guy
01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Damnit you beat me to it..... :crossx: :crossx:

That Guy
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Oh and for the record, I only towed in the Shaken Not Stirred yacht about (hey Miguel, how many days were there this summer?).... :p :crossx: :)

Mandelon
01-05-2006, 07:55 PM
It doesn't sound like Harvey was being a hypocrite. He didn't stop the houseboat or beach it.......even if the channel is closed to parking you too can still have a cocktail as you motor through..... :yuk:

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Man.....
Hehe!!!
CJG
Where am I going to throw my midnight raves? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hey sbark1....dance! :D

nodigg
01-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Today's local headline in the paper was about the channel business's being up in arms about the possible no mooring in the channel......

randy77zt
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
there will probably be more socal people up here in the delta if there are anymore changes at havasu.but if you boat in the delta it takes more than 5 gallons of gas.it seems like most people at havasu launch and park in the channel just to look cool.

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
there will probably be more socal people up here in the delta if there are anymore changes at havasu.but if you boat in the delta it takes more than 5 gallons of gas.it seems like most people at havasu launch and park in the channel just to look cool.
I doubt that will happen
That is 8 hours towing from LA and 10 Plus from San Diego
Its way to far

nodigg
01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
With what we are paying for boats these days...sometimes there isn't much dinero left for gas money anyway???

Ziggy
01-05-2006, 09:22 PM
It doesn't sound like Harvey was being a hypocrite. He didn't stop the houseboat or beach it.......even if the channel is closed to parking you too can still have a cocktail as you motor through..... :yuk:
Yeah, but if we do that with a cocktail we are considered the bad influence/image for the city...... :rolleyes:
Today's local headline in the paper was about the channel business's being up in arms about the possible no mooring in the channel......
That's a good thing...someone in the city has to have some common sense left and see what negative impact a no mooring ordinance would cause...

Throttle
01-05-2006, 09:31 PM
was that the houseboat on saturday nite that parked against the bridge? the boat drove the bow directly into the bridge and left it in gear so he would not drift away... had to do it a couple times... reminded me of the river taxi in laughlin... i remember asking "who does this guy think he is?" lol... the worst parade ever seen!

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
After reading the article and the qoutes of the mayor. WELL, it just goes to show that having friends in the right place can get you into the right place...
This guy has no business in politics... They say he is a lawyer, he sounds like a lonely bitter old man....

LakeRacer
01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Jackson defends mooring proposal
By Brian DiTullio
Thursday, January 5, 2006 7:55 PM MST
Mayor Harvey Jackson said his proposal to eliminate most of the mooring in the Bridgewater Channel is an attempt to reclaim the area for locals and attract more family-type tourists to the area.
“I'm very pro-tourism,” said Jackson in response to claims he was trying to run tourism out of Lake Havasu City. “My vision of tourism is to attract the family-oriented tourist, the kind of tourism that was primarily here in the 1970s.”
Jackson's contention is that bigger boats and rowdier crowds have ruined the area for the locals and that by removing the moorings, the rowdy, drunken crowds would move on.
The idea first was proposed at the Jan. 3 work session after the Lake Havasu City Police Department gave a presentation about the challenges they face enforcing the law during the height of the summer boating season and holiday weekends in particular.
Assistant Chief Randy McCaleb wanted to stress that the police department never requested that City Council shut down the Channel; they simply were looking to eliminate alcohol consumption in the manmade waterway.
McCaleb said their arrest statistics show that most of the problems they face stem from the over-consumption of alcohol, and that by removing that factor from the equation, the rowdy behavior should be reduced significantly.
Capt. Rich Sloma said most of the arrests in that area over the last few years were for disorderly conduct, OUI or underage drinking.
“Once young people who don't handle their alcohol all that well are drinking under the sun for a few hours, common sense tends to go out the window,” said Sloma.
Sloma added that the police did offer some alternative to City Council in April 2004 that included limiting mooring in the south end of the Channel, but they never recommended closing all of it.
Sloma also said that it wasn't until 1998 when the seawall was added and the beaches created that so many boats could be moored in the Channel. Prior to that, the natural landscape limited areas where boats could be beached.
“You would have two or three here and two or three there, and then 50 feet of rock,” said Sloma.
Business owners in the Channel area expressed anger and frustration upon hearing about the possibility of moorings being eliminated and vowed to fight it.
Jackson said there still is plenty of public debate to be had on the subject, but that he felt there already was a consensus by a majority of City Council on the issue, based on what he heard at the Jan. 3 work session.
“The question is,” said Jackson. “Should that area be for us and our community, or should we turn it over to the out-of-towners. I can't use the lake anymore and I sold my boat last fall because of the congestion.”
Jackson boiled the issue down to his campaign platforms of the Channel, the English Village, quality of life and his desire to protect all three.
“The people that oppose my views have been in charge for 15 years,” said Jackson on the opposition, and called their actions a “failure,” while stating his policies would bring tourism dollars back up.
Jackson has directed City Attorney Matt Podracky to draw up several ordinances on the issue for presentation at a future meeting.
You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.
If I remember right, Jackson is legal counsel for the Marina....it's all beginning to make more sense!

Rod-64
01-05-2006, 10:08 PM
After reading the article and the qoutes of the mayor. WELL, it just goes to show that having friends in the right place can get you into the right place...
This guy has no business in politics... They say he is a lawyer, he sounds like a lonely bitter old man....
Above that article there was the story about the city manager that just left, Tim Ernster. Made it seem the Mayor forced him out. I only read the paper when I'm down there working so I don't know the whole story. It just seems the new Mayor is not very popular in many government issues.

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Jackson said there still is plenty of public debate to be had on the subject, but that he felt there already was a consensus by a majority of City Council on the issue, based on what he heard at the Jan. 3 work session.
”
This guy is a total clown, his comment already shows they have their minds made up and plan on moving forward
“The question is,” said Jackson. “Should that area be for us and our community, or should we turn it over to the out-of-towners. I can't use the lake anymore and I sold my boat last fall because of the congestion.”
This town is built on and survives on OUT OF TOWNERS.....winter and summer
they need to recall this clown and get a real politican in here.....

Rod-64
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
By Brian DiTullio
Mayor Harvey Jackson said his proposal to eliminate most of the mooring in the Bridgewater Channel is an attempt to reclaim the area for locals and attract more family-type tourists to the area.
“I'm very pro-tourism,” said Jackson in response to claims he was trying to run tourism out of Lake Havasu City. “My vision of tourism is to attract the family-oriented tourist, the kind of tourism that was primarily here in the 1970s.”
Jackson's contention is that bigger boats and rowdier crowds have ruined the area for the locals and that by removing the moorings, the rowdy, drunken crowds would move on.
The idea first was proposed at the Jan. 3 work session after the Lake Havasu City Police Department gave a presentation about the challenges they face enforcing the law during the height of the summer boating season and holiday weekends in particular.
Assistant Chief Randy McCaleb wanted to stress that the police department never requested that City Council shut down the Channel; they simply were looking to eliminate alcohol consumption in the manmade waterway.
McCaleb said their arrest statistics show that most of the problems they face stem from the over-consumption of alcohol, and that by removing that factor from the equation, the rowdy behavior should be reduced significantly.
Capt. Rich Sloma said most of the arrests in that area over the last few years were for disorderly conduct, OUI or underage drinking.
“Once young people who don't handle their alcohol all that well are drinking under the sun for a few hours, common sense tends to go out the window,” said Sloma.
Sloma added that the police did offer some alternative to City Council in April 2004 that included limiting mooring in the south end of the Channel, but they never recommended closing all of it.
Sloma also said that it wasn't until 1998 when the seawall was added and the beaches created that so many boats could be moored in the Channel. Prior to that, the natural landscape limited areas where boats could be beached.
“You would have two or three here and two or three there, and then 50 feet of rock,” said Sloma.
Business owners in the Channel area expressed anger and frustration upon hearing about the possibility of moorings being eliminated and vowed to fight it.
Jackson boiled the issue down to his campaign platforms of the Channel, the English Village, quality of life and his desire to protect all three.
“The people that oppose my views have been in charge for 15 years,” said Jackson on the opposition, and called their actions a “failure,” while stating his policies would bring tourism dollars back up.
Jackson has directed City Attorney Matt Podracky to draw up several ordinances on the issue for presentation at a future meeting.
You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com.
If I remember right, Jackson is legal counsel for the Marina....it's all beginning to make more sense!
See that line up there....the Mayor said "I SOLD MY BOAT?"
That stinks right there. Why did he go to the crowded channel in the first place??? To patronize the businesses???? You can have fun on the lake with out going to the channel if you hate it that much. So just because he sold his boat no one else should have fum in the channel?
I don't know about this guy. :yuk:

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 10:18 PM
See that line up there....the Mayor said "I SOLD MY BOAT?"
That stinks right there. Why did he go to the crowded channel in the first place??? :
Why do you think.
he is old and
wanted to look at hot naked young women

shadow
01-05-2006, 10:19 PM
By Brian DiTullio
“I'm very pro-tourism,” said Jackson in response to claims he was trying to run tourism out of Lake Havasu City.
So which is it Harvey Jackass wants,
Is he pro tourism or should the area be for us and our community?

Rod-64
01-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Why do you think.
he is old and
Then all the more reason to keep it open...........hell I've said it before on this subject.......plow each side of the thing and expand it!!! Room for everyone...............Boats AND boobies!! :crossx:

C-2
01-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Jeezuz,
I don't even live there yet am smart enough to know locals don't visit the lake on the weekend. It's full of damn CF'ers and sux!!!!! :220v:

Rod-64
01-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Well I don't know too much about this Jackson to make any justifiable slams but is he a good ole boy who's been there a while or what?
Seems to me all the letters to the editor are quite negative.
And while we're on the subject let's not forget the English Village fiasco.
Will they eff that up too?
What a mess.

shadow
01-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Jeezuz,
I don't even live there yet am smart enough to know locals don't visit the lake on the weekend. It's full of damn CF'ers and sux!!!!! :220v:
They don't? :confused:

kingLHC
01-05-2006, 10:53 PM
This channel issue is becoming quite interesting. I especially liked the part where Mayor Jackson said he would like to return the area to the family friendly atmosphere of the 70's. Well, Mr. Jackson, there were 6,000 people living here then. What the hell are you thinking?

kingLHC
01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I appreciate your point of view, however, right around the corner is Rotary Park, with a lovely beach, picinic and swimming areas, board walk and better parking. It is much better suited to family gatherings than a stroll down the channel, with or without the party crowd.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
This channel issue is becoming quite interesting. I especially liked the part where Mayor Jackson said he would like to return the area to the family friendly atmosphere of the 70's. Well, Mr. Jackson, there were 6,000 people living here then. What the hell are you thinking?
I was going to say the same thing. The town was in the early stages of development. Hell, the town is still developing!

hoolign
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm gonna run for mayor of Havasu! SWB bean bags for all!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Hey.....
How's that drive doing ????
Hehe!
CJG

KLEPTOW
01-06-2006, 02:49 AM
So Mr. Jackson would like for 35,938 residents of this city's population to leave.
I say he should lead the way!!!!!!!!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Also, how does making all mooring illegal in the channel benefit the community? If this proposal is passed local residents would not be allowed to moor in the channel either. Furthermore, I am a property owner, as are many here, who spends roughly 6 months of the year out there contributing to the economy and paying my utility bills and property taxes, am I not part of the community?

KoolPop
01-06-2006, 08:04 AM
In the local E-press today it said there is going to be a moor-in in the channel Sundy at 1 pm to protest the proposed action by the city council and mayor. Everyone of us boaters should bring our boats out of hibernation and be in channel Sunday. We have to be vocal about this, we can't let the mayor act like he is king of Lake Havasu. He will be up for re-election within a year, we must let him and the city council know that if they support this, they will be voted out of office, and hopefully ran out of town. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, :argue: WE MUST NOT SIT BACK AND LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

That Guy
01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Where am I going to throw my midnight raves? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hey sbark1....dance! :D
Calling IT right now to clean the coffee I just spit on my keyboard...... :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

TCHB
01-06-2006, 09:24 AM
The mayor should be working on issues like jobs and increasing revenues. Can you imagine one of your managers coming to you and saying I want to get rid of a strong revenue stream and replace it with no revenue. I would fire him on the spot.

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 09:27 AM
See the new Post today Save the Channel Everyone show your support.

Havasu Cig
01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
”
This guy is a total clown, his comment already shows they have their minds made up and plan on moving forward
I agree, following this mentality I guess we should keep our beaches here in San Diego off limits to the "Out Of Towners". I sure see a lot of Arizona plates down here... :rolleyes:

Havatty
01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Harvey Jackson is an attorney that practices in wills and estates, I believe. Interestingly, he owns a boat storage that is located on the property where his law office is. I know this because I stored my boat on his property for about two weeks.
I think it is very interesting that he is attempting to take business away from channel businesses by this mooring law, but is still willing to enrich himself by owning/operating a boat storage.
It may be slight, but I view it as hypocritical.....

Channel Rat
01-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Harvey Jackson is an attorney that practices in wills and estates, I believe. Interestingly, he owns a boat storage that is located on the property where his law office is. I know this because I stored my boat on his property for about two weeks.
I think it is very interesting that he is attempting to take business away from channel businesses by this mooring law, but is still willing to enrich himself by owning/operating a boat storage.
Harvey is a general practice attorney. He practices a variety of things not just wills and estates. He should of stuck with that instead of trying to run the town.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-06-2006, 09:45 AM
I always wondered why an attorney would have an office in a storage facility.

LakeRacer
01-06-2006, 09:48 AM
I agree, following this mentality I guess we should keep our beaches here in San Diego off limits to the "Out Of Towners". I sure see a lot of Arizona plates down here... :rolleyes:
Hey Havasu Cig, I only went to San Diego once this past year...is that OK? :rollside:

BBTAHITI
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm wondering if owning a boat storage yard would exclude him from acting on this because of a possible conflict of interest. I don't know what benefit shutting down the channel would be to him, but it would be advantageous to have him excluded from ANY boat related issues.

OnlyMoney
01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Harvey wants to make it more family-oriented, right? Isn't that who most of the boaters are, well, except for maybe Spring Break? Everyone we boat with has kids, sometimes our friends parents are there, heck, my parents even come out to do the Channel and Sandbar. I know I'm not the only one who is completely confused by his runaround.
This just sucks.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-06-2006, 11:01 AM
I think they, the powers that be, are assigning the 'family-oriented atmosphere' to be opposite of the craziness of what typically goes on down there.

Sleek-Jet
01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
This all reminds me of the story about the politician that dies and goes to heaven. At the Pearly Gates, St. Peter tells him he must choose between Heaven and Hell. On the tour of Heaven, the man sees serene vistas, clouds, and angels all peacefull enjoying eternity.
"Well, let me see what Hell has in store before I make my decision."
So, down to hell he goes, and here are all his friends, dressed in their finest, enjoying one hell of a party. The weather's balmy, the booze flowing freelly, and the Devil himself comes over and makes his introduction. Everyone slaps him on the back and tells him how great it is down here.
"Hey, if this is Hell, I could handle it for the rest of time", thinks the man.
The next day, St. Peter asks the man if he made up his mind.
"Yep. As peacefull as Heaven looks, I think I'd rather spend eternity in Hell, looks like a better time."
So... poof... He's now back in Hell.
Except, all of his friends are whaling from the torture, rags hanging from their backs. Fire and brimstone everwhere. About this time, the Devil shows up.
"Hey", the man asks, "what happened to the party, and good weather, the booze and food?"
"Ah, yes. Well, yesterday we were campaigning. Today, you voted for us", laughs the Devil.

Keith E. Sayre
01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Most towns with lakes spend millions on advertising each year begging people
to visit their town and spend their money. Havasu happens to be in the unique position of not spending any advertising money and is still able to
fill the place up every time. As a matter of fact, our city government (if you can really call it that) likes to find ways to chase these people and their dollars away. It's been like this for about 15 years. Not only do we chase
away the visitors, we insult the homeowners who are only here 20 to 50% of
the time but still pay 100% of their taxes and insurance and improvements and utilities etc etc. This is wrong.
As for the matter in the channel. Doesn't our city council remember what
happened in the areas of the channel that were shut down last year? I remember the photos and it wasn't pretty. The "closed" areas were 10 people deep with human bodies and their empty beer cans and bottles and
trash. The FAMILIES in boats couldn't park so every low life from out of town that can't afford a boat stood knee deep in our channel dropping trash and
being more of a safety and drunk problem than we have ever had. If the boats leave the channel with the FAMILIES on them, the young and
"underaged" kids without boats replace them creating a worse situation
again. They tried it and it didn't work. Why are we discussing this again.
Oh and by the way, if you do chase off the boaters out of the channel, who
is going to follow all these people elsewhere on our lake to patrol them? I see
the next logical place to go would be the rotary beach park. Great--now we
will have simply moved the problem to the park beach. Leaving the channel
for the low lifes that came out of the woodworks last time we tried this,
how does this benefit anyone? Still don't see mom and pop on the beach
anywhere having a picnic Mr. Mayor....?
It seems to me that the majority of the problems on the beach are from the
non-boaters who walk down there. How will making the boats leave help the
situation. I'm down there more than anyone I know of and I personally see
more non -boat -riding people getting into trouble than those riding on the boats. NOONe can dispute that.
Oh and if we do ban the boats from parking, how will the PD patrol all of the
non parking boaters who will undoubtedly keep moving in the channel but not
parking? What about the people who have spent $700,000 or more on a
condo with a parking space in front of them. Are we going to eliminate the
mooring over at the London Bridge Resort too?
This is a ridiculous matter.
Keith Sayre

Ziggy
01-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Someone needs to go over and pull Harveys head out of his anus.......If his "local" businesses are complaining to keep it open to mooring he is not listening to his local people.
Keiths point about the locals being the trash bearing dorks is 100% right, watched it happen myself.
And does Harvey believe his "locals" will actually go to the stores along the channal to spend money???? :rolleyes: More likely to steal to keep their bad habits of staying tweaked up all night intact and drinking the beer they swiped from all the paying tourists coolers staying at Crazyhorse or local hotels parking lots.....If he thinks people with toothless and discolored teeth smiling along the shore will bolster city revenue he is in a dreamworld. :yuk:
How about the wad of cash the city spent to build those nice walls with mooring hooks??? There was some thinking on how to promote tourism and dollars spent on local goods.
Next thing he'll want to build a Mall but no parking lot with it......
Larry lights are on but nobody is home. :crossx:
:idea: Maybe he's trying to drive out the little biz owners so that Corp. America can come in and turn it into something.......someone ought to dig into his campaign funding and see where most of it came from.......

That Guy
01-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Note to Shaken Not Stirred....Chris do you have those pics of the channel from last year when all those idiot, scumbag, non-boat owners had thrown tons of trash any empties on the beach. You posted them awhile back. I say you should repost them and then send them to the mayor and city council...I pm'd you on this. :mad:

TCHB
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Yes cities and states spend millions trying to bring people into their state and this half ass attorney thinks he can do what he wants. The boat companies/shops should be jumping down his throat about taking potential customers away from their home base.

That Guy
01-06-2006, 02:57 PM
ttt

Floored
01-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I thought I heard that the council was thinking of buying the English Village and doing a redo of it. Anyone else hear that?

nodigg
01-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Why do you think.
he is old and
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!

Essex502
01-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I guess those of us the only on property in LHC and don't live there don't matter to the city council. We only added tens of thousands of dollars building the two houses that we have built there to the local economy - employing locals to build those houses. We've spent thousands on landscaping those houses again employing locals. We've spent thousands more furnishing those houses - buying from local businesses such as Michael Allen's, Sofa City (rest it's soul), Furniture Showcase, Arizona Furniture, Furniture by Design and Ashley's. We shop in the local stores for our food and other essentials when we spend our time there. We pay property taxes and sales taxes into the economy. But I guess our opinions don't matter since we don't vote for the HUA's (head UP ass) that were placed into office on the recall. Action Jackson has his mind made up and his two other cronies have their minds made up BEFORE and public comment is given. I think another recall is necessary but only the local RESIDENTS can perform that. What a bunch of jerks.

SummitKarl
01-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I guess those of us the only on property in LHC and don't live there don't matter to the city council. We only added tens of thousands of dollars building the two houses that we have built there to the local economy - employing locals to build those houses. We've spent thousands on landscaping those houses again employing locals. We've spent thousands more furnishing those houses - buying from local businesses such as Michael Allen's, Sofa City (rest it's soul), Furniture Showcase, Arizona Furniture, Furniture by Design and Ashley's. We shop in the local stores for our food and other essentials when we spend our time there. We pay property taxes and sales taxes into the economy. But I guess our opinions don't matter since we don't vote for the HUA's (head UP ass) that were placed into office on the recall. Action Jackson has his mind made up and his two other cronies have their minds made up BEFORE and public comment is given. I think another recall is necessary but only the local RESIDENTS can perform that. What a bunch of jerks.
SK ON the JOB :D :jawdrop: :wink:

bigkatboat
01-06-2006, 06:48 PM
We who voted for the recall have also been 'blindsided' by this mayor. The previous mayor (s) were in the pockets of the realtors and developers, this has had a very bad effect on commercial construction within this city. Frankly the entire sewer system was 'pushed thru' by the realtors, to boost prices and comissions. I thought I was voting for a "more open government", instead we have a tyrant that hid his plans from the public. We are working on the "mayor problem", and hope to have it under control before the next election, if not.... Also, my wife and I still own a home in Northridge Calif., we don't ever want to go back there, but we don't BLAME YOU, for the problems you voted on there. Infact you can thank US (old people) for proposition 13!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
01-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Note to Shaken Not Stirred....Chris do you have those pics of the channel from last year when all those idiot, scumbag, non-boat owners had thrown tons of trash any empties on the beach. You posted them awhile back. I say you should repost them and then send them to the mayor and city council...I pm'd you on this. :mad:
Here you go !!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80523&highlight=trash+channel
Later,
CJG

Havasu_Dreamin
01-06-2006, 07:18 PM
BKB, that's what I thought about the residents in LHC being blindsided.

bigkatboat
01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
"MR DREAMIN" this mayor (Jackson) never said a word about all of the 'stupid ideas' he has brought forth since installment as mayor. Durring the election he (and others) spoke only about cleaning up and OPENING UP city government to the citizens. Today citizens show up and speak, the mayor and council do what ever they want inspite of the protests. I did not move here to have the channel closed to boat parking! Boating put this town on the map, NOT THE RETIRED PEOPLE!!! If the city police chief cann't do his job, then we will get someone who can! If the "city fathers" cann't deal with a problem they just "close it down"! Well I hear we have speeders "close down the roads", and illegal contractors, "close down the construction", and over budget sewers, "close all of them down", and a mayor who cann't stop spending, "close him down"! If this mayor and city council doesn't stop and really interact with the people, we are going to make their last days in office a living hell. The voters here are signing the protests (lists) and forming PACs to move on city hall. We don't want another "aquatic center" type blood sucking project, stuck up our collective azzez! The channel IS a social center, we don't need any more controls on it from NON- BOATERS!

Havasu_Dreamin
01-06-2006, 08:54 PM
BKB, I agree. All he ever said was he wanted open government and now he, and the rest of the council act as if they have everything decided before they allow any public comment. I'd like to go before the council and speak but I susoect nothing will come of it or I will be told, you don't vote so crew off, so to speak. Keep us all informed, we own a hosue there but can't really do anythong about the situation since we can't/don't vote there.

H20Advantage
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I thought this was an interesting item I found on the Havasu news forum for the locals: Is the Mayor the Attorney for the Marina? This would explain his agenda a little more.
http://www.havasunews.com/discussion_forum/
Let me get this straight... up 'till 1998 only clumps of 2 to 3 boats parked in the channel? I think NOT! I clearly remember when I first came to Havasu in mid 80's boats lined up boat to boat in the channel. The policeman that stated otherwise is disingenuous at best or a liar at worst. Boats lined up in the channel DRAW people to the channel and those people patronize the businesses along the channel. The ludicrous idea of banning the parking of boats along the channel needs to be shut down NOW. BTW...isn't Harvey Jackson the attorney of record for the Lake Havasu Marina? This would explain the lamebrained idea as he sees the same way the Marina management does...restrict the lake to the usuage of the locals only. Well, let me tell you what...toursim is the only REAL industry in Lake Havasu City and if you decrease tourism this town is going to go down the tubes. All of our increases in property value (which translates to dollars in our pockets) are going to reverse. Businesses such as those that will populate the proposed mall will not be here. This town will revert to a dusty, dried up prune. Mayor Jackson...you are a boob. Maybe you need a pasty!

That Guy
01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
ttt

Ultrafied
01-07-2006, 04:22 PM
I think NOT! I clearly remember when I first came to Havasu in mid 80's boats lined up boat to boat in the channel.
Gee, I can't remember that at all. I remember tying up to the docks a lot, never really beaching it that much. Of course, you never really had to, there weren't that many boats in the Channel. Most of the crowds came after Spring Break and M-TV as I recall, but as usual, I could be wrong.

shueman
01-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Some letters to the editor....
Dear Editor,
I believe that the mayor has a valid issue. We are getting larger and larger boats in the channel on a regular basis. We need to limit the size of the boats in the channel and limit the running of engines while parked. The city could also enforce a zero tolerance drinking and driving for that area. What the Mayor does not understand is that if we run these people out of the channel, a somewhat controlled environment they are going to so somewhere else and party in a less controlled environment where the possibility that someone is going to get hurt or killed goes up. Lets put some plans in place to make it better not just cut it off. I think Mayor Jackson is on the right track but just needs to listen to the people a bit more before jumping to conclusions.
Brent W. Thor
Lake Havasu City
---------------------------------------------------
Well, I have said this before and now I have to say it again. Dear Mayor Harvey, do you really have any clue as to why boaters come to Lake Havasu City? Do you believe it is for our comfortable 120 degree weather, our shopping malls or the joys of driving their families at least 3 or more hours to see the London Bridge? No sir, it is to see hot boats and babes and there is just no other reason. You took the sandbar away from boaters on holidays and believe me, this is really where you want them and their "fun" times. Away from us townies where if we don't want to see the skin show, we don't have to go there. Of course the reason for not letting everyone go there is that you can't get enough police in there to control the situation, DUH. I was at Woodstock and the same thing happened there, nothing. Closing down the sandbar drove them to the channel and is the reason you are now trying to get them out of there. In our little community we really NEED this business. My husband sells boats and believe me, without these people, my mortgage won't get paid, winters are really dry without them. These people come here to have fun, not Disneyland fun, and closing the channel to drinking or mooring will just send them out into the lake with their drinking or worse yet, keep them home or finding a new town to have their fun in. If you are not careful, you will have a ghost town on your hands and a lot of people with extremely high mortgages filing bankruptcies. Please stop raining on everyone's parade.
Bonnie Andersen-Gardner
Lake Havasu City
---------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Mayor Jackson and council members for your efforts to clean up our city. It's been too long in coming. The channel has become an ever increasing embarrassment to our city. Stand tall when the "sponsors of smut and drunken behavior" complain about their loss of money. They seem to have lost the ability to attract the right kind of business for our city anyway. The trashy out-of-town boaters will still, unfortunately, stay and eat in Lake Havasu City, where else by the lake is there adequate lodging, stores, and restaurants?
We as a growing city need to aggressively attempt to improve our image. The trashy tourist will always find some other place to drink, drive their boat drunk, and show off their built-in floating devices. Let the other local law enforcement agencies get involved more, after all, they will not be as pressured or influenced by local money to NOT enforce illicit behavior. Who knows, maybe the locals can take their boats out on the weekends again without getting run down by a drunken out-of-towner.
The locals have already found very nice locations along the lake shores to moor since being forced out by tourists that disrespect our city and people. Tell the trash vendors, excuse me, business people that fit that title, along the channel to find a new venue or start running a respectable business that doesn't need out-of-town trash to make a living.
Steve Miller
Lake Havasu City, AZ

shueman
01-07-2006, 07:32 PM
TSN On-Line article from today...
Moor Comments: Business' Sound-Off
by Monette Wesolek, TSN
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ – With a proposal on the table to limit or even eliminate mooring in Lake Havasu City’s Bridgewater Channel some business owners are expressing the opinion that this move is not the best one.
“We’ll have some disappointed customers that rent boats because that is the whole draw here,” said Tina West from Action adventure Rentals. “This is why people come - not every town has a channel.”
“It’s going to effect all of us down there immediately,” said the owner of SteveOs in the English Village. “In the bigger picture it is going to affect everything in this town from tourism right down to real estate values.”
“There’s certainly DUI’s and alcohol-related problems within the city,” said Dallas Finch Manager of the Kokomo nightclub in the channel. “Does that mean that we should close McCulloch Boulevard from nobody parking?"
“No it won’t effect us… our people go out and use the boats,” said one boat rental owner. “The people who usually go to the channel want to be seen they usually don’t drive their boats very much. They put their boats in at the marina and go straight around there to the channel.”
The mooring issue is expected to return to the council sometime in February.

Ultrafied
01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
“The people who usually go to the channel want to be seen,
they usually don’t drive their boats very much. They put their boats in at the
marina and go straight around there to the channel.”
ROFL ..... :D

H20 Toie
01-08-2006, 08:38 AM
---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Mayor Jackson and council members for your efforts to clean up our city. It's been too long in coming. The channel has become an ever increasing embarrassment to our city. Stand tall when the "sponsors of smut and drunken behavior" complain about their loss of money. They seem to have lost the ability to attract the right kind of business for our city anyway. The trashy out-of-town boaters will still, unfortunately, stay and eat in Lake Havasu City, where else by the lake is there adequate lodging, stores, and restaurants?
We as a growing city need to aggressively attempt to improve our image. The trashy tourist will always find some other place to drink, drive their boat drunk, and show off their built-in floating devices. Let the other local law enforcement agencies get involved more, after all, they will not be as pressured or influenced by local money to NOT enforce illicit behavior. Who knows, maybe the locals can take their boats out on the weekends again without getting run down by a drunken out-of-towner.
The locals have already found very nice locations along the lake shores to moor since being forced out by tourists that disrespect our city and people. Tell the trash vendors, excuse me, business people that fit that title, along the channel to find a new venue or start running a respectable business that doesn't need out-of-town trash to make a living.
Steve Miller
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Hey look at that now i am a trashy tourist :cry: It never seems to amaze me the stupidity of people. i live in a town that started as a truck stop and then as people moved here they started complaining about the fact that there are so many trucks here. f in people need to get a life.
Well i guess i need to get drunk and run down some local people.

INSman
01-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey look at that now i am a trashy tourist :cry: It never seems to amaze me the stupidity of people. i live in a town that started as a truck stop and then as people moved here they started complaining about the fact that there are so many trucks here. f in people need to get a life.
Well i guess i need to get drunk and run down some local people.
Dan, why didn't you tell me before that you were a trashy tourist, I wouldn't have hung out with you !!! :argue: :hammerhea :D

H20 Toie
01-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Dan, why didn't you tell me before that you were a trashy tourist, I wouldn't have hung out with you !!! :argue: :hammerhea :D
yea you had better watch out since you are one of the locals now that i will have to run over when drunk.