PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise in stereo

Shockwave 25
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Hello All, new to posting have been viewing the site for a while though. I am wondering if someone has any suggestions on how to get rid of engine noise in my stereo. Right now I have a stereo with a couple amps connected to one of the batteries but every time I start the boat I get a pot load of crackling through the speakers. I made sure there weren't any ground loops and have all the amps and stereo running off the same battery but can't seem to resolve the problem. any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks...

OGShocker
06-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Ask here..... (http://www.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24) ShockwaveBob and I don't get along in here, but I hear he does know is business. Ask him.
Good luck.

Tom Brown
06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Crackling is ignition related (plugs/wires/coil). Whistling is alternator related.

Riomouse911
06-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I believe the best way to rid the "Audio tachometer" effect is a filter on the power lines. Any good stereo shop will hook you up with the right set up in no time....

h2oski2fast
06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Could be a couple of different problems. 1) Gains on the amps set incorrectly (too high). 2) Bad ground. 3) Bad or poor battery. 4) Could be inducted into the system through the RCAs. (easiest way to check this, is to unplug them fro the amp, at the amp side). 5) Could also be faulty equipment.

Thunder Struck
06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I had the same problem.. changed the ground going to my deck!!

H20 Toie
06-20-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm having the same problem in my truck with the new head unit a pioneer z1 the unit before was not a problem but mine is not the only truck they are having issues with, it seems that the diesel trucks (05 f350) are the ones giving them problems, they have put filters on the power which helps but it still does not go away.
The Pioneer (i believe it was a N1)unit before did not have any problems

H20 Toie
06-20-2006, 06:31 AM
You shouldn't have noise in your truck anymore than you should have noise in your boat. Somebody didn't know what they were doing when they installed it.
Noise filters are training wheels for bad installers.
Well it's all your fault for living so far away.

Shockwave 25
06-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the info. I think the easiest thing to do is to isolate the battery from the ignition system and see if the noise is still there.
Right now the way it is setup is everything is connected directly to one battery except for the ignition wire from the deck and the gain is setup just above the 1/2 mark. I do have a couple of older batteries but they are registering 12.5 volts pm the meter (handheld).
I will test and post my findings...
Location is Orange County

WFS ADAM
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the info. I think the easiest thing to do is to isolate the battery from the ignition system and see if the noise is still there.
Right now the way it is setup is everything is connected directly to one battery except for the ignition wire from the deck and the gain is setup just above the 1/2 mark. I do have a couple of older batteries but they are registering 12.5 volts pm the meter (handheld).
I will test and post my findings...
Location is Orange County
That's your problem right there, the deck and amps have a different source of powers, which essentially means they have a different reference to ground. Bingo.
This is ShockwaveBob, BTW. Everything is spelled correctly. ;)

H20 Toie
06-20-2006, 03:12 PM
That's your problem right there, the deck and amps have a different source of powers, which essentially means they have a different reference to ground. Bingo.
So my deck in my truck needs power direct from the battery (like the amps) and that should get rid of the buzz

Jyruiz
06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
So are you leaving the old name behind?

WFS ADAM
06-20-2006, 04:09 PM
So my deck in my truck needs power direct from the battery (like the amps) and that should get rid of the buzz
Your truck problem is likely one of two things, two different grounding points that are not the same quality or burned out preamp outputs (rcas), a very common problem on Pioneer.

WFS ADAM
06-20-2006, 04:10 PM
So are you leaving the old name behind?
No, just to lazy to log out and log back in under my name.