PDA

View Full Version : Stereo question

Jeff_n_AMY
06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Argument needs settled,when you install an amp with your stereo do you get the compined Watts of both what the stereo puts out plus the amp or does the amp cancel out what the stereo was initially putting out??

h2oski2fast
06-19-2006, 10:48 PM
All depends on if you are using the internal radio amp to power a set of speakers. If this is the case, then it could be added to the TOTAL out put of the system, but not of the amplifier. Most of the time the internal amps on the radio are not used (when using an external amp). The reason being the quality of the internal amplifier is less then desirable. An external amp, most of the time, gets it's signal from a low level output from the radio (which is a much cleaner signal).

Jeff_n_AMY
06-19-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a sony cd/mp3/sirus radio says puts out 52w x4.Added an alpine 40w x40 so i just lost 12 w of power well that sucks..I didnt wanna slam to much into the boat after all there is always someone bigger and better just wanted a little kick so i also added 4 infinity 6.5 reference speakers and was going to also add the infinity all in one 200w 10" sub combo..dont get me wrong the infinity 6.5 sound clean but when i was the amp today after installing them system started shutting down on me.it would come right back on but i had to decrease volume to get it to stay on.one of the reasone for the amp install was i was told reason its shutting down at higher volume was because i need a little more juice.so i installed the amp..Any suggestions besides take it to a stereo shop?

h2oski2fast
06-19-2006, 11:39 PM
No, the external amp is a much better amplifier. The deck is more then likely only putting out around 10 usable watts. That amp will make a world of difference then the power out of the head bit.
I recommend taking it to a shop. Not only will they install your equipment correctly and safely, they should have the knowledge of level matching the gains on the amp to the head unit for optimum sound and output.
There could be a number of reasons the amp is shutting down. My guess would be voltage, either from a low battery or too small of power wire (limiting the voltage/current that the amp is getting). Could also be that the amp is wired incorrectly.

Jeff_n_AMY
06-20-2006, 12:56 AM
your probaly right with the quality of power the alpine amp is probaly much cleaned and more useable power than the radio it did sound crisp and clear..And you hit the nail right on the head with the power cable that was my next question.Wish i could remember what guage wire i used i know for a fact it was not as heavy as monster cable.And as far as the install that was not really a big deal i am a technician at international rectifier well at least thats what my pay check says it was more of a pain in the ass removing the seats and being a tad anal that i am making the waring install look neat and clean.here is a question foir you.Where would be a good place for the ground to go.Of course the power is right to the battery with an inline fuse,And have you ever heard of someone using that infinity sub/amp combo in their boat sounded pretty good at the shop.Thanx a million..

Mr. Naudio
06-20-2006, 04:43 AM
put the ground to the batt the power to the perco (common)if you have one