PDA

View Full Version : "SE" Smallblock Flat class

cowboybob
06-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Forgive the ignorance.............
What is the difference between the "SE" or "Proposed SE" class for Circle Racing Flats and the "old" "E" Class??????
I thought the "E Runabouts" were Smallblocks too?
........or are the "SE" specs just more restrictive?
Any word on this actually happening?

biesemeyer
06-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Yes and yes and I don't know.

WannabeRacing
06-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Yes, very similar to the old E boats.
E boats are no longer a class. This is a re-vamp of that class with a twist. The twist is restrictions so a simple engine can run. Maximum closed seat pressure, approved iron heads, minimum weights for parts, possible lift rule cams, and possibly even an engine claim rule.
APBA wants to call it SE, to define the new rules away from the old rules and class.
Just trying to be a class where any average joe can run with limited funds. A spring board to the SuperStock, PS and K ranks. Training wheels for the new guys and a place to run for the guys that got out of it years ago, but still have the itch. A run what ya brung deal. Should be more fun than cut-throat competition with the teams preparing for the 07' season.
The APBA is seriously looking at it. According to Wooten, it is very possible for 07'. The word back from APBA is they really like it. The speeds figured seem safe for them, and they are speaking about not requiring capsules for this class at all, due to the safe speeds.
It could be a nice help to the increased interest in the old flats and circle racing in general. And would be a great platform for those old boats "L"aying around that just won't run with the big dogs anymore.
I know of about 15 boats being built for the class right now. Laveys, Barrons, D'Cuccis, Starfire, Glen L, Jones, and a pair of Biesemeyers.
Should be fun. APBA discussions will go on in July, with a final decision hopefully somewhere in August.