PDA

View Full Version : Lone Star Parts

atistang
06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm looking at buying a mid to late 60's Lone Star fiberglass outboard. I don't know the exact year or model but its a 6 seat 16ft I think. It needs the trans and throttle cables and a fuel tank. Does anyone know where I can find these parts?

Towndrunk
06-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Now why would you want to buyan old problem when you can get a newer one?

atistang
06-20-2006, 05:38 PM
200 bucks with a trailer, are they that big of a pos?

Towndrunk
06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Well for 200 bucks I guess not. What model and year is the motor?
You can get everything you need at Cabelas.

atistang
06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
I'll stop by on the way to the bar and see if I can snap some pics, or get some info off the engine

atistang
06-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Ok, its a 72 Lone Star, with a 35hp outboard. The engine is a something that starts with an E I can't remember the name. I'm gonna take some pics tonight.
But he dropped the price down to $100 just so I'll get it out of his way lol

Towndrunk
06-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Probably an old Elgin. Can you say headache? Parts are going to be hard to come by.

atistang
07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
How hard? The guy said he has the tank and its fine but it just needs new fuel lines, throttle and trans cables, and he said it will need new steering cables in a couple years. Heres some pics, keep in mind I don't care how it looks I just care about getting it in the water to cruise a little. BTW I got him down to $90 :D
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/atistang/Misc/P1010012.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/atistang/Misc/P1010013.jpg

Towndrunk
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Parts can still be had for the ole evilrude.

atistang
07-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Know of any perticular places on the internet? Or am I just going to have to start going around to places that service boats? And do you know what model it is?

Greg_Moss
07-05-2006, 07:28 PM
you can order all the parts for that motor from Northshore Marine 713-453-6341. If you need some of the boat parts call this guy he is with the antique Outbaord club in Houston he can steer you in the right direction to look. Gary 713-665-1306 Most of the throttle and shift cables are easy to get at West Marine.Fuel hose i would look for at the same place. First thing i would do with it is run it by a glass shop and have them look it over for rotten wood. You might save yourself alot of money by finding out if it is worth the time and money to fix the boat.

rrrr
07-05-2006, 08:23 PM
There is a Lone Star message board on Yahoo Groups, Google for it. I have two Lone Stars ('59 18' El Dorado day cruiser and '57 21' Cruise Master cruiser), they're pasture boats under tarps.
Someday, I'll fix 'em........... :D :D

atistang
07-06-2006, 02:32 AM
thanks guys, but does anyone know what model this boat is?

atistang
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
thanks guys, but does anyone know what model this boat is?
Bump for one more answer ^^^^^^^^^^^^

ONAROLL
07-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Know of any perticular places on the internet? Or am I just going to have to start going around to places that service boats? And do you know what model it is?
There is a website called classic glass, dont let em give ya shit, I got a 1951 Lone Star, 23 Ft all Aluminum, it cannot be bought.......Vic

atistang
07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
you can order all the parts for that motor from Northshore Marine 713-453-6341. If you need some of the boat parts call this guy he is with the antique Outbaord club in Houston he can steer you in the right direction to look. Gary 713-665-1306 Most of the throttle and shift cables are easy to get at West Marine.Fuel hose i would look for at the same place. First thing i would do with it is run it by a glass shop and have them look it over for rotten wood. You might save yourself alot of money by finding out if it is worth the time and money to fix the boat.
I can do the floors my self, thats no big deal, As soon as someone can tell me what model it is I will order some parts, or do I just tell them its a 14-18ft fiberglass 1972 lonestar and they will know what i need?

Greg_Moss
07-12-2006, 05:59 PM
like your way over your head taking on a project like this.

atistang
07-14-2006, 02:46 AM
like your way over your head taking on a project like this.
Negative
I all I need to know is the model of the boat for parts reasons, I'm very mechanicly inclinded. :wink:

Greg_Moss
07-14-2006, 05:15 AM
What parts could you possibly need for that boat? Everything you need to work on first is engine parts. You don't need anything for the boat. Gas tank is engine parts, cables is engine parts. Don't worry about the boat until you see if the motor is any good. I gave you some names and numbers call those people to help you starting with Northshore Marine to buy the engine parts ask for Margarete

atistang
07-14-2006, 12:59 PM
So your saying it doen't matter what boat it is, the cables are gonna be listed by the type of engine? Does that include the steering cables?

Greg_Moss
07-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Cables will be labeled by part number and length. The steering cable will have a stensle in white about 2 feet from the end that hooks to the motor the throttle and shift should be labeled the same way. If no labels are on the cables i can tell you how to figure it out.

atistang
07-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Ok thanks, I'm probably gonna take one good look at it tomorrow and maybe buy it. I mean $90 I'm sure I could turn around and sell it for $200 if nuthing else.
One other thing, a few people have said something about gelcoat. What is it and how important is it?

Greg_Moss
07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Is buy a couple of books about boats. you really have no idea what you are getting into. You need to spend that $90 on studying before you take on a project like that. if you don't have anymore idea of wat your doing than you relate to here on the forum you are getting way over your head and you need to learn something about boats before you spend $90 on a yard ornament.

atistang
07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Is buy a couple of books about boats. you really have no idea what you are getting into. You need to spend that $90 on studying before you take on a project like that. if you don't have anymore idea of wat your doing than you relate to here on the forum you are getting way over your head and you need to learn something about boats before you spend $90 on a yard ornament.
I'm sure if I can rebuild a 02 northstar in a devile then I can do anything to this boat once I look at it. I have only looked at it for a total of 5 mins and the thing looks simple as all get out. But thanks for your advice, I am just going to get the cables and hope it starts with nuthing more than a carb rebuild so maybe I can get it in the water before winter hits. Aside from that the gel coat thing is the only thing I have no clue about, people have told me that it is just something to make it look good and other people have told me it has to have it to be in the water, I guess I'll just see what happends lol.

Greg_Moss
07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
the gel coat is the colar that is on the outside of the glass. Huge difference between a boat and a Cadillac You gonna have a real hard time fishing in the Cadillac. :) Really you need to get a book on boats and read it. I think it would be a very good investment that way when you ask a question you have somewhat of an idea what you are asking about.

atistang
07-18-2006, 04:19 PM
the gel coat is the colar that is on the outside of the glass. Huge difference between a boat and a Cadillac You gonna have a real hard time fishing in the Cadillac. :) Really you need to get a book on boats and read it. I think it would be a very good investment that way when you ask a question you have somewhat of an idea what you are asking about.
I know how to opperate them, I've been driving my uncles 26ft cuddie cabin for years up in lake michigan. I might look into a book or two but if the hull is fine than the only other thing that I don't understand is this gel coat stuff, can I run in the water with out it? I live in Ohio so its only gonna be in the water 5-6 months a year, to tell you the truth if I get two years out of it with maybe a total of $400 in it(I will do all the labor myself) I will be happy. All I was tring to say about is I have a very mechanical back round and I can pretty much figure anything mechanical out so my only problem is this gel coat this an that stuff, I understand that there might be a long explaination for it but from what I have got from searching hasn't gave me much of an answer to weather it is something neccessary or not. I just need a quick anwser of can I get away without it?