PDA

View Full Version : 22 Advantage cat

NEW 2 RIVER
07-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Starting to do a little groundwork for the next boat and considering a cat.So I stopped by Advantage Boats and looked at the 22 cat unfortunately all they had was a used one on the grounds and said it was the current design.I noticed this hull has no step in it and when I asked the salesman he said the step wasnt needed and when looking at there 28 cat it has a step and he told me that the only reason the 28 had a step was because the larger model trapped so much air underneath and the step was needed to release some of the air underneath.Any one have a better explanation of this? I always assumed a step bottom was used to bring the boat to plain on each pad?

DogHouse
07-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Steps are there to break up the boundary layer and introduce air disturbance into the flow along the wetted surface, reducing drag. Sounds like Mr. Salesman didn't know what he was talking about. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of steps in the smaller hull. With decent HP, the hull will lift enough so that only the last couple of feet will be in contact with the water. Most steps are well forward of that point and wouldn't be doing any good at top speed.
There are a couple of guys on the boards here that have 22 Sportcats. Craig and Tee could probably answer any questions that you might have.
-brian

rude235
07-21-2003, 08:53 PM
i don't have any firsthand knowledge of craig's boat but from what i've read, it REALLY hauls the mail!! if i remember right he was shooting for 120mph!

NEW 2 RIVER
07-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the info Doghouse.That sheds some light on it for me.I didnt mean to question the salemans knowledge I just wanted a better explanation. :)

Keith E. Sayre
07-22-2003, 01:31 PM
I like Doghouses version better than the other one! For what it's worth, I have a friend with a
2001 Advantage 22'Sport Cat with low hours on a
Merc 502 Magnum MPI, 415hp-Bravo 1, spinning a 26"
4 blade, runs mid to high 70's. External steering, Outstanding condition, with ProStock scoop custom gelcoated to match the boat. Killer graphics, nice everything! He bought a Conquest, he would like about $45,000 on the trailer with cover, stereo,and all the goodies. Turnkey and reliable. call me or email me for photos etc.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

Craig
07-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey New 2 River,
As Doghouse stated, I have one as well as Troy (Tee) and a friend in Bullhead City. The boat runs good with some decent power and has sort of a "cabin" (for a cat :D ) Let me know if you have any questions. There's some info on the boat on my web site, www.justanothertoy.com (http://www.justanothertoy.com)
Craig

Donnie
07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Craigs boat is one bad ass sport cat :D

DogHouse
07-24-2003, 07:51 PM
But it only goes 114.5! :D

Tee
07-25-2003, 08:27 AM
New 2 River.
I've got one. Like Craig said, they have somewhat of a cabin which is something I didn't find in any other cats in the 22' size. I have actually overnited in mine a couple times at Lake Powell with another adult and my little girl. Wasn't to bad. I don't water ski much but a buddy of mine really likes to ski behind it. I like mine and plan on keeping it for awhile. If I could just get that new motor done :( There are also some pics of mine on the website Craig mentioned.
Drop me a mail if you have any spacific questions.
Tee