PDA

View Full Version : Whats everybody running? Pic's? details?

Lavey Huffer
06-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Just wanted to see everybodys set up
Carbureted?
Injected?
blown?
turbo?
fuel management?
Details.....?
heres some old pics when I got the boat ....and the most recent
SBC 4.040 bore stock stroke
4340 h-beam
4340 crank
JE inverted dome pistons
comp roller cam
retrofit lifters
stainless rockers
afr 210 heads titanium ret. inconel exhaust
all ARP studs
SCE titan Ics gaskets
dooley pan
Stef's windage screen
MSD 6 btm
MSD PRO billet dist.
.....coming soon
Barry Grant Mighty Marine Demon
Edlebrock CNC Victor Jr.
Twin Rajay turbos 7 psi

LakesOnly
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Please click here. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8) :D

WannabeRacing
06-21-2006, 10:11 AM
http://www.buzzzmiller.com/dr&pepe.jpg http://www.wannaberacing.com/jessica2.jpg http://www.buzzzmiller.com/hallett2.jpg

fc-pilot
06-21-2006, 10:47 AM
We decided to play with this short stroke motor on the strip before we threw it in a boat. I should see the water by next summer. It may get a standard bird catcher on it by then.
http://www.wannaberacing.com/smiller.jpg
Paul

Speedin' Ian
06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1349motor1-med.jpg

Schiada76
06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
500CI BBC Mark IV, Birdcatcher, on gas, w/871
Well technically not really running, hope to fire it in two weeks.
Paul, Can I borrow one of your alky motors for a quick test pass in the boat? :D

Rev. Williams
06-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Paul, Can I borrow one of your alky motors for a quick test pass in the boat? :D
No sh it !!! I'd like to try that too !!! :D :D

fc-pilot
06-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Wannabe and I keep a pump gas 350 around for people who would like to "borrow" one of our bullets. Don't worry, the car we pulled it out of at the junk yard was nice. :D
Paul

Lavey Huffer
06-21-2006, 03:04 PM
wow all you guys are runnin some serious sh#! ......compared to all you guys mine is like a trolling motor.
How many hours can you get on a alky motor and or passes?
....looks great keep em comin!

Lavey Huffer
06-21-2006, 03:04 PM
We decided to play with this short stroke motor on the strip before we threw it in a boat. I should see the water by next summer. It may get a standard bird catcher on it by then.
http://www.wannaberacing.com/smiller.jpg
Paul
Is that firebird raceway?

Schiada76
06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Wannabe and I keep a pump gas 350 around for people who would like to "barrow" one of our bullets. Don't worry, the car we pulled it out of at the junk yard was nice. :D
Paul
Well as long as you degreased it it will give me some bench mark #'s to double ck the blower motor with. :p Bring it to Parker in three weeks, we won't even need a hoist for a little ol small block. :D

WannabeRacing
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Those old junk yard small blocks, you just grab one hand on the carb and heave it up and into place. But Pilot has a few cans of brake cleaner for that engine before he lets you try it out.
An alcohol engine will last right at about 30% longer than a gas engine prepped the exact same. They run so much more cool. And as long as you keep the upper cylinder lube in the alcohol, and do a few tricks, the rest of the engine loves that alcohol. We have an old 600 cubic inch deal that is a stable for us. We put between 350 to 400 passes on it before checking anything. At that point, we take it all apart and do a rebuild. We are building a boat engine right now, and not sure about hours. Depends on how hard those hours are. But in a drag racing application, 1000 all out passes before a rebuild, with what it is. Check the pump once a year.

Lavey Huffer
06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Those old junk yard small blocks, you just grab one hand on the carb and heave it up and into place. But Pilot has a few cans of brake cleaner for that engine before he lets you try it out.
An alcohol engine will last right at about 30% longer than a gas engine prepped the exact same. They run so much more cool. And as long as you keep the upper cylinder lube in the alcohol, and do a few tricks, the rest of the engine loves that alcohol. We have an old 600 cubic inch deal that is a stable for us. We put between 350 to 400 passes on it before checking anything. At that point, we take it all apart and do a rebuild. We are building a boat engine right now, and not sure about hours. Depends on how hard those hours are. But in a drag racing application, 1000 all out passes before a rebuild, with what it is. Check the pump once a year.
Wow I'll be happy if my new motor lasts that long on gas.
I've seen a turbo motor 45psi on meth. and the oil just got hammered almost every pass,but I think that had alot to do with the ring gap.

WannabeRacing
06-21-2006, 05:40 PM
If you get the engine nice and hot, then take off the valve covers and let the water evaporate out, the oil will last for a long time. The green goo goes away when the water evaporates. (Nice trick with alcohol.) Much of the look of the oil goes with the tune-up. When you keep it on the fat side, the oil looks much worse.
And no, that is not FireTurd International Discraceway. Wouldn't run there. No way- no how! That is the Tucson track a few weeks ago. We also like to test out at a track in north phoenix called Speedworld.
We would rather drive to Canada to test than run at FireTurd.
See a few of the other engines here. (http://www.wannaberacing.com/engines.html)
Your engine sounds like a cool little deal. Can't wait to see it all done.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Dayum! Somne sweet hardware there, and some cool info on Alky motors, Thx guys. :)
Drop one of those in my old Taylor and she'd likely jump right out of her gel.
We enjoy "laking" her in Kansas (and are among the faster boats here) with my Taylor's orriginal 1977 Mk-IV 454, modified some lately.
Mk-IV iron 454, stock bore, 2 bolt main caps
ARP main studs
Stock GM factory windage tray on the studs
3530949 Irom large oval port heads (to be ported next year)
Stock 2.06"/1.72" valves (to become 2.19"/1.88" with the porting)
Stock forged steel rods
Arp 3/8" rod bolts
Orriginal cast 8.5:1 flattops (to become 10:1 forged in a few years on a rebuild (no budget 2 yrs ago on rebuild)) Will also float the pins.
5qt oil pan, chrome
Comp Cams all billet double row roller timing chain
Chrome timing chain cover
Isky camshaft, 280H but custom ramp grind per DuaneHTP .565" lift 280* dur.
Isky Superlifters (hydraulic)
3/8" speed-pro pushrods
Long-slot Factory style steel rockers, Speed Pro.
Isky Springs (3 part) to match the cam.
Orriginal valves (to become Manley Pro Flow's with the porting)
Steel retainers (with the cam kit), Steel stock keepers.
Micket Thompson cast valve covers (looks NICE! and orriginal) :)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap Oval port manifold
Holley 700CFM 4150 Double Pumper carb, non-marine, orriginal
Mechanical fuel pump, marine, brand forgotten, delivers 9PSI@4800RPM tho
K&N Filtercharger
Perstolite marine distributor, orriginal, to be replaced by MSD Pro Billet Ready To Run Marine (no box) soon as budget allows
Ac Delco R43T plugs
Marvin M Miller 75HP Nitrous Oxide plate system, circa 1979 to be replaced with NOS Sniper 100-150 HP adjustable plate system, soon as budget allows
Lightning thru-transom headers, jacketed
4" slash-cut Stainless Steel tips from CP Perf (I think, HTP ordered for me)
Going to head studs next winter while they are off being ported.
We should see NA 400 HP this year (sans nitrous), and easilly enough 70 MPH if loaded light (she has history here with orig 280HP 454 and 75HP N2O)

Lavey Huffer
06-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Dayum! Somne sweet hardware there, and some cool info on Alky motors, Thx guys. :)
Drop one of those in my old Taylor and she'd likely jump right out of her gel.
We enjoy "laking" her in Kansas (and are among the faster boats here) with my Taylor's orriginal 1977 Mk-IV 454, modified some lately.
Mk-IV iron 454, stock bore, 2 bolt main caps
ARP main studs
Stock GM factory windage tray on the studs
3530949 Irom large oval port heads (to be ported next year)
Stock 2.06"/1.72" valves (to become 2.19"/1.88" with the porting)
Stock forged steel rods
Arp 3/8" rod bolts
Orriginal cast 8.5:1 flattops (to become 10:1 forged in a few years on a rebuild (no budget 2 yrs ago on rebuild)) Will also float the pins.
5qt oil pan, chrome
Comp Cams all billet double row roller timing chain
Chrome timing chain cover
Isky camshaft, 280H but custom ramp grind per DuaneHTP .565" lift 280* dur.
Isky Superlifters (hydraulic)
3/8" speed-pro pushrods
Long-slot Factory style steel rockers, Speed Pro.
Isky Springs (3 part) to match the cam.
Orriginal valves (to become Manley Pro Flow's with the porting)
Steel retainers (with the cam kit), Steel stock keepers.
Micket Thompson cast valve covers (looks NICE! and orriginal) :)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap Oval port manifold
Holley 700CFM 4150 Double Pumper carb, non-marine, orriginal
Perstolite marine distributor, orriginal, to be replaced by MSD Pro Billet Ready To Run Marine (no box) soon as budget allows
Ac Delco R43T plugs
Marvin M Miller 75HP Nitrous Oxide system, circa 1979 to be replaced with NOS Sniper 100-150 HP adjustable plate system, soon as budget allows
Lightning thru-transom headers, jacketed
4" slash-cut Stainless Steel tips from CP Perf (I think, HTP ordered for me)
We should see NA 400 HP this year (sans nitrous), and easilly enough 70 MPH if loaded light (she has history here with orig 280HP 454 and 75HP N2O)
Wow thats pretty cool Smokin ,looks like you have you have it all figured out ,as you know alot of people just spend money and don't go anywhere,if you spend the time doin a little research you can save some $'s and have the power you want where you want it.
Also thanks for all your responses to me and all the others on this forum you have been very helpful.

Lavey Huffer
06-21-2006, 08:19 PM
If you get the engine nice and hot, then take off the valve covers and let the water evaporate out, the oil will last for a long time. The green goo goes away when the water evaporates. (Nice trick with alcohol.) Much of the look of the oil goes with the tune-up. When you keep it on the fat side, the oil looks much worse.
And no, that is not FireTurd International Discraceway. Wouldn't run there. No way- no how! That is the Tucson track a few weeks ago. We also like to test out at a track in north phoenix called Speedworld.
We would rather drive to Canada to test than run at FireTurd.
See a few of the other engines here. (http://www.wannaberacing.com/engines.html)
Your engine sounds like a cool little deal. Can't wait to see it all done.
Yes I know the green sludge well ,I agree it was mostly tune up,overtuned and underbuilt.It was running a Motec and it was all new to me.
I'm workin my way up on this stuff.....
This motor will be on gas,and maybe run alky on top ,a two or three stage fuel set up with Hobb's or rpm switches.Gona hook it all up and see if she knocks and leans out first.
You have some nice lookin stuff and they even have names....

Sanger77
06-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Some really great looking engines/cars in the other post.
New here - So thought I'd throw in pic of 1 more alky motor.
Tennessee boat running 200 proof Moonshine.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/3542Sanger6m.jpg

fc-pilot
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Smokin, that is a great setup. We ran a combo like that for about ten years in our Hallett flat. It was great. It started every time you pushed the button, and ran the same every day. (Well, after about seven years it started to loose a bit of its edge. I can't imagine why).
Sanger, I saw your boat on v-driveboat.com and have to say that is one heck of a piece of equipment. It is not for the faint of heart.
Paul

SmokinLowriderSS
06-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Thx guys, I have tried to do it once, smart, on a limited budget. The entire boat has been a multi-year restore as well. Before I started, I knew a few things, read a good bit in a BBChevy perf book I have, asked a lot of questions of DuaneHTP and other friends of mine who gearhead more than I have opportunity, I listened, double-checked, and learned a ton on the board here too.
That 454'd make a hell of a street motor I think, real flat torque curve over 450 pounds from 2,500 all the way to 4,500 (acording to DD), HP should be over 370 from 4,500 to 5,500, our RPM on the pump is targeted to be 5K without happy-gas.
Can I use the term "Turnkey" with seriousness anymore? :idea: :) Engine is cold blooded first thing of a trip after sitting at home, but I don't think it spins a complete turn before lighting when it's warm, even the next morning on the lake, just lights in a few turns, it even idles. :boxed:

WannabeRacing
06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Smokin, that is a great way to go. Just make it run, and reliable. Then upgrade as the money comes in.
But may I add a higher capacity oil pan to the future upgrades?
And every engine needs a name. As soon as it shows it's personality, it needs a name that fits.
We are just lucky around here. When parts get tired for the funny-cars, they cycle out and get put out to pasture in a boat engine. Last forever in them.

Schiada76
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Smokin, I've been prefilling my bowls with a syringe before firing if the boat has been sitting. Fires right up.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Smokin, I've been prefilling my bowls with a syringe before firing if the boat has been sitting. Fires right up.
Yea, been thinking of starting that, thx for the reminder. Just got her right side up after a winter of bottom gel work, hope to fire her next week for the 1st time this summer.
Yes, eventually I will put on a larger oil pan. Didn't even want chrome when I bought it 2 winters ago but the orig was rusted so badly (timing cover too) it had to go, and both parts were priced right on e-bay. In 4 or 5 years, the engine will get rebuilt again, mostly to put a set of 10:1 forged slugs in the cylinders. If I can get 500 HP from the porting at 8.5:1 ( should be close), the comp boost should get me close to 600 HP. By then, I MAY have use of an oil cooler too :idea:

djunkie
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Bone stock 454mag. Going on 18 years old. Never even had a valve cover off and she still pushes my sled to 70mph. I know it doesn't look like anything fancy but shes all I got. :rollside: :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14766&stc=1

fc-pilot
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey, if it gets the job done, that is all that matters.
Paul

SmokinLowriderSS
06-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey, if it gets the job done, that is all that matters.
Paul
That's the fact, Jack! :)