PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cas ?

bergen
06-20-2006, 08:03 PM
hey cas how u doing, i posted a couple days ago about an altanator, and u suggested i buy a stock 1, is it ok to buy a car alttanator i have a 460 ford,
or dose it have to be a marine alt, i want to pick 1 up tomorow(wed)
is thier a better place to get one any suggestions, kragen-autozone-napa parts,i live in sacramento, thanks bergen

jbone
06-20-2006, 08:11 PM
From what I've learned. with a below hatch engine, you must use a Marine alt.
I'm not too sure about an exposed engine.
J

bergen
06-20-2006, 08:15 PM
From what I've learned. with a below hatch engine, you must use a Marine alt.
I'm not too sure about an exposed engine.
J
hello jbone, i do have an open engine compartment. bergen

bergen
06-20-2006, 08:23 PM
well i went back a few posts and found the one on the napa alternator,
part # 2134011 with plug kit # 20019030 so on my ford 460 the 3 wires i have now i just remove them and toss them away, then plug the 1 wire kit in and hook up the 1 wire to the battery ? could it really be this easy?
thanks any 1 and every 1, bergen

jbone
06-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Thats What I did.
My old alt had a ground, Batt, and another wire from the ignition or something. I think it was for the exciter.
Apparently my new 1 wire has an internal exciter and the mounting brackets serve as the ground.
It did seem too easy, but it works better than ever.
Good luck,
J

Cas
06-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Bergen,
Sorry, been out for awhile. You can go a couple of ways with it, the one wire with the conversion or just get one that plugs and plays into what you have. If you don't need it right away, check out this guys ebay auctions
A1Truck ebay auctions (http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZa1truck)
take a look at the prices of his marine stuff.....really good!
I just bought a high torque starter from him and a marine alternator a couple of years ago. Thus far I've been very satisfied with his products and service. He's in Fresno so the shipping is real quick.
Oh yea, you can use an automotive alt but personally I feel a whole lot better with marine stuff.

bergen
06-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Bergen,
Sorry, been out for awhile. You can go a couple of ways with it, the one wire with the conversion or just get one that plugs and plays into what you have. If you don't need it right away, check out this guys ebay auctions
A1Truck ebay auctions (http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZa1truck)
take a look at the prices of his marine stuff.....really good!
I just bought a high torque starter from him and a marine alternator a couple of years ago. Thus far I've been very satisfied with his products and service. He's in Fresno so the shipping is real quick.
Oh yea, you can use an automotive alt but personally I feel a whole lot better with marine stuff.
hey cas thanks for getting back @me, i am kind of in a hurryto get the boat going, i think i'm gonna try the chevy altanator if it last for 1 season i;m kool with that, i checked out a-1 truck parts dose he offer a buy now or is his stuff bid on only? so was i correct in saying take off old alt throw away the 3 wires bolt new 1 on, plug in 1 wire adapter kit run the 1 wire to the battery, sorry about the going over and over on this subject, thanks bergen

Cas
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
you are correct in the hook up and I don't think he offers a buy it now. You might be able to give him a call and ask.
The issue I've had with the one wire is that some of them draw a little current all the time. On a hot rod car it's not that big of a deal since they are driven more. If the boat sits for a couple of weeks there's a chance the battery will go dead.

bergen
06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
you are correct in the hook up and I don't think he offers a buy it now. You might be able to give him a call and ask.
The issue I've had with the one wire is that some of them draw a little current all the time. On a hot rod car it's not that big of a deal since they are driven more. If the boat sits for a couple of weeks there's a chance the battery will go dead.
oh you mean their vampire's. heck while i'm @ it the last time i had my boat out last sept, i noticed my oil pressure when idleing is only 20 when i rev the motor it gos up to 70 to 80, b-4 when @ idle it used to be higher like 65-70
plus boat would crap out when driving and trying to go wide open, i do have mallrey ign, i no the last time out i was driving boat on battery only, it was not chargeing do you think this could be my problem with boat craping out at high rpm, i do plan on getting new batery tomorow and new altanator and new plug wires and new dist cap thanks bergen