PDA

View Full Version : Boat work before the 4th

dgie
06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Well here is my new project just before the 4th I had flipped my jet boat over and set it on some 4x4 planks about 4 months ago. Now able to start working on the bottom (and only the bottom.) I have already sanded one side, between all chines from fore to aft and am going to start on the other side tomorrow. I have a couple hooks back by the jet and a lot of small nicks that need to be filled. My question is about what to paint the bottom of the boat with, when the glass work is all done. I would go gelcoat, but I am assuming that, that would be a little too involved. I have been checking out various boat bottom paints and was wondering if anyone has used a particular one that works good on jet boats, I have also seen that people are using a roller to put this stuff on, let me know, I am eager to get this project finnished, but not in a hurry so much as to screw it up. Thanks in advance.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Yep. gel is involved. Just re-gelled my 78 Taylor SS (avatar). About $900 of gel to do a 19' hull properly, my case was 2 colors, 2 color glitter flakes, and 4 coats of clear, and sand the orange peel away. (grits as follows, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, buffer with wool pad & rubbing compound, buffer with terrycloth pad & polishing compound. Only shot 1 coat of gel a day. I'm sure happy how it came out tho. Just got her back on the trailer tonight.
I'd do it again over Imron polyurethane paint, but that's me.

dgie
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
anyone else?