PDA

View Full Version : Prob a Dumb question.....

EmpirE231
06-21-2006, 09:02 AM
but what are the pro's/ cons or differences to having the driving controls on the left side or right side of the boat?? I know most small jet boats...controls are on the left with a gas peddal ... and then most bigger non jets are on the right without a peddal?? in the spam section.. saw some dcb's 26' or so with controls on the right? what are the differences? I'd be looking to get a 25-28' foot boat...?? thanks.... :)

Legal Chemistry
06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I believe it was originally to place mass on the opposing side of the prop rotation. Now, with the commom boat being 25' and 4000#'s, it really doesn't come in to play as much (vs. a '79 16' w/100 hp)...

Havasu47
06-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Another reason is Mercruiser Sterndrives are designed to have the steering cable come in to the transom from the starboard side.

Boatcop
06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Actually, the reason is safety and Navigation. Since the starboard (right) side of a vessel is the "danger zone" and vessels to the right have the right of way, many builders put the controls on that side to allow the operator to have a clear view of that area.

Ziggy
06-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Actually, the reason is safety and Navigation. Since the starboard (right) side of a vessel is the "danger zone" and vessels to the right have the right of way, many builders put the controls on that side to allow the operator to have a clear view of that area.
Kinda like British cars have right hand drive and drive on the left side of the roads??? :idea:

ChumpChange
06-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Is there anything this guy doesn't know?????
Legal Chemistry's answer seemed right too. Now I'm confused.
My answer is, most people are right handed and thus hold their beer with their right hand while driving with their left. By putting the wheel on the starboard side, it made a better location for the drivers beer holder.

HBjet
06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
That's why when your boating on a lake, you boat counter clockwise so the driver is closest to the shore correct?
Also, for jets, I'm guessing the controls are on the left because most jets have pedals for the gas, and I'm pretty sure most of us are more familiar sitting on the left when using a gas pedal...
HBjet