PDA

View Full Version : setting up headers

dead_onion
06-21-2006, 01:23 PM
hi
I have bassett long tubes on my 460.
I followed the directions on the bassett website; ran one line off of the thermostat through a gate valve and then overboard,
the other line through the bassett check valve/t-valve.
Problem is, there is water injecting to the headers all of the time, even with the overboard dump opened up all the way.
I took the tvalve off, cleaned it out, put it back together, and I can put it under my kitchen sink, and water goes though it with only moderate resistance.
Bassett says the headers should be hot and dry at idle.
what do I do:?

Taylorman
06-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Do you have a ball and spring in the bassett t? It should not open that easily. Is this a new t valve? If not replace the spring and ball. You can also use 1/4 SS flat washers to shim the spring to make it stiffer. I like my water to come in about 2000 rpms. Better to be late than to soon.

beerjet
06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Bassett is right . Sounds like there is no ball or spring . I like the shim idea , I always figured I'd stick two springs in there if I had to.
-beerjet-

Oldsquirt
06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
hi
I took the tvalve off, cleaned it out, put it back together.......
Did you take a close look at the spring? It is actually tapered and the narrow end must go towards the ball. Put it in the wrong way and the ball can actually work its way into the spring, resulting in insufficient pressure to keep the valve shut at idle.

castone001
06-22-2006, 05:49 AM
The shim with the washer is a great idea.
Mine comes on at 1800rpm. I do worry though that for long idles, like through the channel or from the ramp to the buoy line at Elsinore the headers will get too hot?? Should I not worry bout that?

Taylorman
06-22-2006, 06:11 AM
No you should not worry about that. I doubt they will get to hot at idle. I had trash blocking my water lines two weeks ago and ran mine nearly dry all day.

h2oboy
06-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Wondering if I have mine set up wrong...
I have a valve on the line between the thermostat and the T valve, and then a straight line out the back of the boat no valve ... Does anyone else have it set up this way....
I was running it this way so that I can run dry when I do not want to run wet... BAD/GOOD????

Taylorman
06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Valve on that line for that reason is fine. With no valve on the dump line, at what rpm does your water come in? If the rpms when it comes in is to hight then you need a valve on the dump line. If not then your fine like you are. I dont have a valve on either line.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_6286.jpg