PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater ?

Rod-64
06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Need to buy a new HT receiver in the $5-600 range...........looking at Harmon Kardon which I used to have and a Denon..........the reviews say the wattage on the Denens are supurb and crisp/clear. The only negative..on the Denon, was the remote was too big and sloppy.
Any feedback on Denon?
Thanks!

little rowe boat
06-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I have an entire Denon system and I love it. If I was to replace it with something else, I would probably check out Yamaha electronics.

Jesster
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I have had 3 Denon recievers and couldnt be happier I currently have the AVR-3805 and love it. It can be had for less than the 1200.00 MSRP but you give up factory Authorized service. It is still warrantied but not through the factory. I personally have never had to have any Denon product serviced and have had 2 CD players, a DVD player and 3 recievers over the years. I think the 2807 would be a close replacement feature wise and has 1080P switching if you have a top of the line TV. Most times you would still be better off just connecting from your vid source directly to the TV anyway but its always fun to check. But this all depends on what you are using it for and where. What speakers are you driving with it?

STV_Keith
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I really like the Yamaha DSP stuff for home theater. The DSP-A1 was their flagship unit a few years ago, coming it at around $3000. You can get them used on Ebay now for $300-$400 or so. A REALLY great unit with more features than many will ever use, good built in power and lots of inputs/outputs. 7-channel Dolby 5.1 etc.

Rod-64
06-21-2006, 02:33 PM
I have had 3 Denon recievers and couldnt be happier I currently have the AVR-3805 and love it. It can be had for less than the 1200.00 MSRP but you give up factory Authorized service. It is still warrantied but not through the factory. I personally have never had to have any Denon product serviced and have had 2 CD players, a DVD player and 3 recievers over the years. I think the 2807 would be a close replacement feature wise and has 1080P switching if you have a top of the line TV. Most times you would still be better off just connecting from your vid source directly to the TV anyway but its always fun to check. But this all depends on what you are using it for and where. What speakers are you driving with it?
I will be useing all Bose speakers and using the High-Def satellite receiver through a Mitsubishi HD tv.

TRUMP TIGHT
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Need to buy a new HT receiver in the $5-600 range...........looking at Harmon Kardon which I used to have and a Denon..........the reviews say the wattage on the Denens are supurb and crisp/clear. The only negative..on the Denon, was the remote was too big and sloppy.
Any feedback on Denon?
Thanks!
You are looking at the 2 best brands out there right now that fall in your price range. The Harmon Kardon would be my first choice and Denon second but both are supperb!

rivercrazy
06-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Either brand is solid. But personally, I prefer the Harman. I have two and they are very reliable powerhouses.

beyondhelpin
06-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Denon is good. I have the 3802 which is about 5 or 6 years old. Looked at the Harmon Kardon and really liked the sound, but the reviews were bad for reliability. I dont think you can go wrong with Denon or Yamaha for the money.
Bose speakers suck. So many better options for the money. IMHO

sleek23
06-21-2006, 03:11 PM
I have a harmon now and have had for a few years. Love it. Great power and clean sound.

Jesster
06-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I will be useing all Bose speakers and using the High-Def satellite receiver through a Mitsubishi HD tv.
I hate bagging on speakers so I won't. :rolleyes: I will say that if you plan on using HK or Denon as a reciever, I hope you plan on a speaker upgrade and if not don't spend all the extra money on the HK/Denon stuff go with Pioneer/Sony. I am also not saying anything bad about those 2 brands bang for the buck they are the way to go if you only ever plan on driving the Bose speakers. The big advantage of the HK/Denon's is the sound quality/quality of the amplifier section. This quality would be overkill for Bose speakers in general. Bose are great speakers for what they were designed for and thats an affordable HT speaker system for small areas where space is an issue and a speaker that blends well with the surroundings. The Sony/Pioneer will have most of the same bells and whistles and wont cost as much, you will never notice the sound difference using the Bose speakers.

Jyruiz
06-21-2006, 03:22 PM
HK's usually have a low wattage output compared to all the rest of the receivers out there, but will actually put out what its stated rating says. Denon is a nice receiver that has a lot of cool features, but there amp area is weaker than HK's and only does about 65% of its rated rating, they have been known to clip even before that. The amps in the Denons don't get better till you get to the 4000 series. Since you are using Bose speakers, it really won't matter which receiver you get, Bose speakers tend to be good for highs, but leaves a lot of the mid frequencies out and that is one of the reason they don't put there frequency response on there products. If you are not a audiophile and like the small form factor of the Bose, then it really won't matter, my brother is happy with his Bose system, except for when he comes over my house. Bose are really popular with women though because the speakers are so small, it is easy to decorate around them and not be noticed, another one of Bose pluses.

Tom Brown
06-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Denon.

Rod-64
06-21-2006, 03:58 PM
I hate bagging on speakers so I won't. :rolleyes: I will say that if you plan on using HK or Denon as a reciever, I hope you plan on a speaker upgrade and if not don't spend all the extra money on the HK/Denon stuff go with Pioneer/Sony. I am also not saying anything bad about those 2 brands bang for the buck they are the way to go if you only ever plan on driving the Bose speakers. The big advantage of the HK/Denon's is the sound quality/quality of the amplifier section. This quality would be overkill for Bose speakers in general. Bose are great speakers for what they were designed for and thats an affordable HT speaker system for small areas where space is an issue and a speaker that blends well with the surroundings. The Sony/Pioneer will have most of the same bells and whistles and wont cost as much, you will never notice the sound difference using the Bose speakers.
So what speakers is everyone running? They had a sale on Polk speakers at Circuit City.

KineticoH20
06-21-2006, 04:29 PM
ubid.com is where I buy all kinds of electronics over the years, I bought a high end Marantz surround sound thx reciever 1600 retail for 450. Also bought Klipsh speakers for 25 cents on the dollar, good luck.

Jyruiz
06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
So what speakers is everyone running? They had a sale on Polk speakers at Circuit City.
The Polks would be way better than the Bose speakers.

MagicMtnDan
06-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Denon is #1 in HT receiver sales for a reason.
Yamaha is probably next best.
Stay far away from Sony.
Here's one site worth checking out (http://reviews.search.com/search?q=home+theater&nodeid=6466&mode=products)

Jesster
06-21-2006, 06:21 PM
ubid.com is where I buy all kinds of electronics over the years, I bought a high end Marantz surround sound thx reciever 1600 retail for 450. Also bought Klipsh speakers for 25 cents on the dollar, good luck.
You can get some great deals on Ubid. I have gotten quite a few in the past but look around after you see something for a good price on Ubid many times it can be found for the same price and shipping on Ubid is usually high. Dont pay the buy now price I bought a PG X600.1 amp on Ubid and paid 164.00 for it, the buy now price was 239.00.
Polk and Klipsch both make some nice speakers. Energy is another in my opinion but it all depends on how much you want to spend and how the speakers sound to you. If you like how your Bose sound stay with them, but don't go over to a friends house running a nice set of Paradigm's or Monitor Audio and expect to go home and say I like mine better.
Another big part of the system is the sub if you dont have at least a 12" (some 10's) dont expect to feel the depth charges in Star wars III like they were meant to be heard. :rollside:
Klipsch and Polkand Energy all make speakers you would be very happy with. Before buying your HT speakers audition them. I found I like the sound from a PSB center channel much better than the Energy Connisseur(sp) line and it saved me a few hundred bucks.
Speakers are a difficult decision I spent 3 months finding the combo I liked but now that it is over watching movies at home is an experience I like better than the theatre and I get to go to the bathroom without missing any of the movie. :p

Jyruiz
06-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Definitely audition the speakers first, try to find a place that will let you try them out at home with your electronics cause they never sound the same as they do in the showroom. I specially suggest you audition the Klipsch speakers, they are bright speakers that seem like they are very clear and detailed, but that is just the horn tweeter and after a while, they can be very fatiguing. Paradigm's are very nice speakers, I have a set of bookshelfs in the bedroom, but they are kind of bright as well because of the metal tweeters they use, I like them at medium to low volumes. Speakers are not replaced as often as the rest of your HT electronics, so listen to as many as possible before you buy.

beyondhelpin
06-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Speakers are a very personal choice. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. But I agree with jyruiez about the Klipse speakers. I dont like them because they are to bright. I have a Paradign sub in the game room that thumps and their outdoor speakers on the patio. They kick ass. You may think they suck! Go listen to some speakers and see what you like. When you narrow it down, take them home and try them out.
Sorry about the Bose comment. :crossx:

ROZ
06-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Some 06 Denon receivers have exhibited problems... You can get a very good Yamaha 2zone for that price range :)

CommanderHB
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Denon is the way to go. Worth the money$$$$$$.

ROZ
06-22-2006, 01:35 AM
The Polks would be way better than the Bose speakers.
Well, 6 bose 901's and 2 Velodyne dd1812's would be quite interesting :D

ROZ
06-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Denon is the way to go. Worth the money$$$$$$.
Denon has problems right now with their 500.00 - 1200.00 receivers..... They're fixes for the shit in the local shops are mere bandaid fixes.. Most shops are just sending them back to denon and letting them deal with the customers... Trust me on this one..
Their star techs can't even figure out what value diodes to fix a particular problem are much less fix the problem... so they send out the same diodes under different part numbers as replacements...
I can get what models not to look at tomorrow , if you like...

YODA
06-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Roz, Im looking at a few different Dennon models right now. Id appreciate it if you would post the one to stay away from. thankz.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
06-22-2006, 05:49 AM
I have the dennon avr-3806 and love it. My last amp was a yamaha and i prefer the denon. Mine is an 06 and i have not had any problems. I have owned it for about 8monthes and drive it hard, just ask my neighbors!

MagicMtnDan
06-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Well, 6 bose 901's and 2 Velodyne dd1812's would be quite interesting :D
They're still making their 901's huh :cool: I remember them from a long time back - I always thought four of them would be :cool:

Jyruiz
06-22-2006, 07:15 AM
The 901's probably are there best speakers, but they are gimmiky. For $1300 ( I think that is what they cost for a pair) I would go with some floor standing speakers.

ROZ
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
The 901's probably are there best speakers, but they are gimmiky. For $1300 ( I think that is what they cost for a pair) I would go with some floor standing speakers.
That was just a Bose refrence...lol... I'd get the "brodeal" on 6 martin logans if I wanted a floorstanding speaker...lol Still run with that 6000watt sub though :cool:

ROZ
06-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Roz, Im looking at a few different Dennon models right now. Id appreciate it if you would post the one to stay away from. thankz.I left a message with the dude... Soon as he gets back to me, I'll post it...

ROZ
06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
I have the dennon avr-3806 and love it. My last amp was a yamaha and i prefer the denon. Mine is an 06 and i have not had any problems. I have owned it for about 8monthes and drive it hard, just ask my neighbors!
I've had good luck with mine until recently.. The subpreout is inop in any surround mode using either fiber optic or rca outputs...
If I don't go AVR4806ci or AVR5806mkii, I'll just buy a Yamaha RXV757 to hold me over...

Jyruiz
06-23-2006, 11:37 AM
I've had good luck with mine until recently.. The subpreout is inop in any surround mode using either fiber optic or rca outputs...
If I don't go AVR4806ci or AVR5806mkii, I'll just buy a Yamaha RXV757 to hold me over...
I hear ya on the 4806 and 5806, very nice receivers. I was going to go the 4806 route next and get rid of my receiver (receiver used as a pre) and amp combo, but for that price, I am waiting for the HD DVD and new DTS HD sound formats to come out first. My Pioneer Elite and Marantz amp combo is still making me very happy.

beyondhelpin
06-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Hey roz
Can you hook me up on some of the M Logans. Cant afford them but still want some.
Hey great!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! I have said it before let me say it again. Roz You da Man!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Tom Brown
06-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Some 06 Denon receivers have exhibited problems...
Interesting. I'm about to buy a new receiver too and really appreciate the info. :)
Gotta love ***boat. :cool:

Cheap Thrills
06-23-2006, 02:27 PM
I want one of these :D
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/images/products/MHT200_f.gif
Mcintosh labs (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com)
C.T. :wink:

Partycattin
06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Bought a Denon last year with the 2nd zone output. It's great. Kids can be watching movies inside and we can be listening to CD's on the 2nd zone outside.

ROZ
06-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Bought a Denon last year with the 2nd zone output. It's great. Kids can be watching movies inside and we can be listening to CD's on the 2nd zone outside.
Screw 2nd zone cd's.... Use "my music" or Itunes and ditch the cd player :cool:
Tom, waiting for my homie to get back to me...
Beyond helping... Sorry dude... When I make that call, it may use up my favors for a year :D