PDA

View Full Version : What became of the owner, and what's the authentic story on this home?:

Trailer Park Casanova
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812river_trip_020-med.jpg
I remember several different Float Planes Docked here over time, but none in the past few years. The last being a nice Jet Prop Caravan on massive floats. (Note the wind sox and the Jet Fuel tank in left of pic)
Then,, jog my memory,, didn't this guy have some giant combed and polished swimming kinda cat's like Cougars walking around & jumping off / on his Dock at one time? I'm pretty sure it was here.
So many different stories about the guy (and his son) that owned this place circulated around. The stories always grew another leg when told, wilder and wilder.
Never got the true scoop on what ever became of,, or even who the person that lived here really was.
An Auzzie was about the only common part of all the crazy tales I heard.
I've cut back on the sauce and it's all starting to return to my pea size brain.
Anyone know?

BajaMike
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Ross, where exactly is that house? i don't know the story but it sounds interesting.....
It looks familiar....:confused:

GunninGopher
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
That's that house in Parker, isn't it?
Is that picture a little old? The place I'm thinking of looks a little run down right now.

JB in so cal
06-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Ross, where exactly is that house? i don't know the story but it sounds interesting.....
Right next to (south of) the old Sundance; Parker Strip. Grass roof with sprinklers

Trailer Park Casanova
06-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Directly across from the Sand Bar.
People ask me about it alot,, and the stories I've heard over the decades were so ridiculous I never really answered.

Cole Trickle
06-21-2006, 03:05 PM
The story I heard was that the dad was the guy that invented the handle pull for the stand up jet-skis.
I was under the impression that he was paid a nice royalty for everyone that came off the assembly line.
I have never seen any lions,tigers or bears running around;)

Trailer Park Casanova
06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
I have never seen any lions,tigers or bears running around;)
Maybe it was Pink Elephants,,

boatnam2
06-21-2006, 03:41 PM
i always heard it was the stand up jet ski inventor.i know there is a pretty india looking girl that has lived there for a least the last 7 years or so she works at a@w drive thru in town.

Boatcop
06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
The house was built, and is still owned, by Clay Jacobsen II. He was the inventor of the Jet-Ski concept and marketed the idea to Kawasaki. They said they weren't interested.
A year or so later they came out with the Jet-Ski. Clay sued and after a many-year legal battle was awarded a multi-million dollar judgment. Kawasaki appealed and drug it on for a few more years.
When it went to the appeals court, they doubled the award as punishment for Kawasaki's bad faith appeal. Clay later was "hired" as a consultant when Yamaha introduced the "Super-Jet" so they wouldn't suffer a similar fate.
Clay and his girlfriend, LeAnn (Who's parents owned Sports Valley after Don "T" and before Mike Williams) now divide their time between Alaska, Australia and Parker.
Clay's son, Clay III, owns CJ3 contracting, which bought and developed the Highland Estates "Acres" up from the Lakeside area. That's the area with the newer homes and the trademark red barn garages just off of Lakeside 5. Clay III is married to the pretty India girl, who's family owns the KFC/A&W franchise.
Anything else you want to know?

lokinutz
06-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I won't post his name on the site out of courtesy, but it is still owned by the man who did patent the stand up jet ski's son. Yes, he was paid a substatial amount of money by Kawasaki. The Indian girl is the son's wife. Pretty nice people. Have known the son for about 15 years now, and some things never change. You can catch them all the time at Fox's, or out riding stand-ups just before sunset.
Looks like you beat me to it boatcop!!

Cole Trickle
06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
The house was built, and is still owned, by Clay Jacobsen II. He was the inventor of the Jet-Ski concept and marketed the idea to Kawasaki. They said they weren't interested.
A year or so later they came out with the Jet-Ski. Clay sued and after a many-year legal battle was awarded a multi-million dollar judgment. Kawasaki appealed and drug it on for a few more years.
When it went to the appeals court, they doubled the award as punishment for Kawasaki's bad faith appeal. Clay later was "hired" as a consultant when Yamaha introduced the "Super-Jet" so they wouldn't suffer a similar fate.
Clay and his girlfriend, LeAnn (Who's parents owned Sports Valley after Don "T" and before Mike Williams) now divide their time between Alaska, Australia and Parker.
Clay's son, Clay III, owns CJ3 contracting, which bought and developed the Highland Estates "Acres" up from the Lakeside area. That's the area with the newer homes and the trademark red barn garages just off of Lakeside 5.
I was close :)
Does the grass roof infact help keep the house better insulated?
Were there ever wild animals living there? :idea:

Boatcop
06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
I was close :)
Does the grass roof infact help keep the house better insulated?
Were there ever wild animals living there? :idea:
Clay and LeAnn had a couple of goats up there for a while, to keep the grass roof trimmed. And I seem to remember a few chickens running around.
The sod roof not only provides insulation, but the water evaporation also cuts way down on cooling costs.
The tank isn't for airplane fuel, that's a water tank for Brooke Water Company. One of their pumping/well stations is adjacent to that property.

2Driver
06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Since we are on the subject of old parker stuff. What's up with Sundance these days. Nick was the guy who owned it? Last time I saw it in full gear had to be in the late 90's. Seems like a gold mine if run right. Worse case a cool house to refurbish.
Was that you pulling over the 2 large boats Friday around noon by Dam hide away?

Boatcop
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Since we are on the subject of old parker stuff. What's up with Sundance these days. Nick was the guy who owned it? Last time I saw it in full gear had to be in the late 90's. Seems like a gold mine if run right. Worse case a cool house to refurbish.
Nick's brother Jim Shubin has owned Sundance for the last 20 years or so. He has sold the business end of it several times (keeping title to the land, sticks and bricks), but the several folks who bought it mis-managed it to the point, that Jim has had to foreclose on every one of them and take it back over.
For the last 2 or 3 years he has tried to sell it outright, land and all, but has either had no takers or those interested couldn't come up with the backing or financial ability to purchase. Jim had no desire to continue with the headaches of running the place, or with carrying any more contracts himself.
It has now been rezoned for Condos. waiting on final plan submission, and approval of things like how tall, parking, water, sewer, etc. Sewer being the biggy, since there's a moratorium on new septic near the River, and extension of the Buckskin sewer project up into that area is several years away.
Was that you pulling over the 2 large boats Friday around noon by Dam hide away?
Don't think so. Probably one of my guys.

BajaMike
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Damn....BoatCop knows his beat.... :idea:
:cool:

2Driver
06-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Great info thanks.

Froggystyle
06-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Clay's son, Clay III, owns CJ3 contracting, which bought and developed the Highland Estates "Acres" up from the Lakeside area. That's the area with the newer homes and the trademark red barn garages just off of Lakeside 5. Clay III is married to the pretty India girl, who's family owns the KFC/A&W franchise.
He asked for the authentic story Alan... not some wild fabrication... ;)

OrangePicker
06-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Why is the road just up from sundance closed? I heard the cliff was unstable

BajaMike
06-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Hey, Boatcop, Ross mentioned a seaplane parked at the house....
Can seaplanes legally land and takeoff on the river? Have you ever seen it?
:confused:

riverroyal
06-21-2006, 05:39 PM
I used to ride with clay all the time

Boatcop
06-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey, Boatcop, Ross mentioned a seaplane parked at the house....
Can seaplanes legally land and takeoff on the river? Have you ever seen it?
:confused:
Yes they can, as long as it's safe to do so. There's a guy in Havasu with a flying school that uses the Strip all the time for students looking to get their amphib cert. That's due to the long straight spot from the Keys to Red Rock, and the fact that it's usually much smoother than the Lake, even in relatively windy conditions.
Once they land they are pretty much the same as a boat, as far as Navigation Rules and right of way goes. The plane(s) that were parked up there were Clay's.
Matter of fact, Clay was a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, Air Wing, and flew a lot of SAR missions for us back in the day.
Why is the road just up from sundance closed? I heard the cliff was unstable
The cliff itself is stable enough. The boulders on it aren't. It would be way beyond the County's means ($$$) to engineer and stabilize the cliff face to make travelling the road safe. It's not a vital roadway, since you can get around on Highway 95 so, on the advice of our insurance carrier, we just closed it. What we're eventually going to do with t hasn't been decided, yet.

Ultracrazy
06-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes they can, as long as it's safe to do so. There's a guy in Havasu with a flying school that uses the Strip all the time for students looking to get their amphib cert. That's due to the long straight spot from the Keys to Red Rock, and the fact that it's usually much smoother than the Lake, even in relatively windy conditions.
Once they land they are pretty much the same as a boat, as far as Navigation Rules and right of way goes. The plane(s) that were parked up there were Clay's.
Matter of fact, Clay was a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, Air Wing, and flew a lot of SAR missions for us back in the day.
The cliff itself is stable enough. The boulders on it aren't. It would be way beyond the County's means ($$$) to engineer and stabilize the cliff face to make travelling the road safe. It's not a vital roadway, since you can get around on Highway 95 so, on the advice of our insurance carrier, we just closed it. What we're eventually going to do with t hasn't been decided, yet.
"There's a guy in Havasu with a flying school that uses the Strip all the time for students looking to get their amphib cert."
I just bought the Flying School owners house in havasu..........Retired Col. USAF........great guy.
UC

BajaMike
06-21-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812river_trip_020-med.jpg
I remember several different Float Planes Docked here over time, but none in the past few years. The last being a nice Jet Prop Caravan on massive floats.
The Jet Prop Caravan is a big ass, expensive plane.....I used to fly some air ambulance and forest service, fire camp flights with one of those in Northern California. Never on floats though....wow, that would be fun!
Here's a pic of one...but it doesn't look like a jet prop (turbine) model....and no floats.....nice plane!
http://info.air2there.com/images/cessna_caravan.jpg

Trailer Park Casanova
06-21-2006, 07:55 PM
A good time to see the floatplanes land, and "Taxi" up river is early AM mid weekdays at the Road Runner.
Very quiet, and the planes seem slow and gentle.
If ya think it over, and this is what passes through my mellon when I see them,,, it's gotta be tricky just to untie, and get your plane dialed in for take off, river traffic, current,, a big awkward machine to manuver,, and get it all done just right.
My hats off to the pros that can do this. It's gotta take some skill.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812river_trip_015-med.jpg

jjk94
06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
will never forget nick jumping up and down and using the peter meter...and happy hour 3 for 1

BajaMike
06-21-2006, 11:34 PM
A good time to see the floatplanes land, and "Taxi" up river is early AM mid weekdays at the Road Runner.
Very quiet, and the planes seem slow and gentle.
If ya think it over, and this is what passes through my mellon when I see them,,, it's gotta be tricky just to untie, and get your plane dialed in for take off, river traffic, current,, a big awkward machine to manuver,, and get it all done just right.
My hats off to the pros that can do this. It's gotta take some skill.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812river_trip_015-med.jpg
Ya, Ross, I agree, talk about being a great pilot and a great boat operator.
I always had experienced pilots flying my air ambulances and forest fire spotter planes, but we never had a sea plane.........man, that sounds like fun.
Image, lake/river hopping from Parker, to Havasu, to Mohave, to Mead, to Powell.....to the upper Colorado....all in few hours.....
Let's go....:D