PDA

View Full Version : Got the motor.....

Keithb87
06-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Ok... We got the 460 from a friend ( as stated in the other thread that got jacked. :rolleyes: ..) Turns out that it was built 3 years ago and never fired. It was ment for a truck and the truck got rolled befor the motor was installed. Mikester got a smoking deal on it. 1978 Truck motor with a mild cam (we think) All of the casting numbers match the other motor block and heads.
So tonight we pull off the valve covers and start to prime the oil pump. We get oil to the left side but not the right. So we pull the pushrods. Apparently the guy that built this motor used White Lithum Grease for assembly lube ( 3 years ago). Most of the push rods are plugged at the ends. We clean them out and put it all back together and re-prime the oil pump. Still no oil on the right side.
Soooo This weekend we will be taking off the intake (has to come off anyways) and pulling all the lifters and cleaning off the lithum grease and using the correct assembly lube.
Then it's down to sanding and painting the motor then pulling off all the truck parts and swapping over the Boat parts. then hopefully mid next week we will be able to test at the lake.
Question....
Would the 3 Year Old lithum grease plug the lifters to the point that they would not transport the oil to the top of the head?

cave
06-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Great news. Looks like we will be seeing you before November.

Keithb87
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Great news. Looks like we will be seeing you before November.
Hopefully.... I could take out the Beismier but it would not keep up with all of you guys. Condor should be done in time for the 4th of July :)

Some Kind Of Monster
06-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Ok... We got the 460 from a friend ( as stated in the other thread that got jacked. :rolleyes: ..) Turns out that it was built 3 years ago and never fired. It was ment for a truck and the truck got rolled befor the motor was installed. Mikester got a smoking deal on it. 1978 Truck motor with a mild cam (we think) All of the casting numbers match the other motor block and heads.
So tonight we pull off the valve covers and start to prime the oil pump. We get oil to the left side but not the right. So we pull the pushrods. Apparently the guy that built this motor used White Lithum Grease for assembly lube ( 3 years ago). Most of the push rods are plugged at the ends. We clean them out and put it all back together and re-prime the oil pump. Still no oil on the right side.
Soooo This weekend we will be taking off the intake (has to come off anyways) and pulling all the lifters and cleaning off the lithum grease and using the correct assembly lube.
Then it's down to sanding and painting the motor then pulling off all the truck parts and swapping over the Boat parts. then hopefully mid next week we will be able to test at the lake.
Question....
Would the 3 Year Old lithum grease plug the lifters to the point that they would not transport the oil to the top of the head?
Make sure the oil galley on the right side isn't plugged with a pipe plug (Does this apply to Fords? I know I had this problem with my 454). Also what weight oil is in the motor for the break in? While you have everything taken apart you might want to shoot some air in the block to try to dislodge any obstruction. Is there absolutley no oil on the right side, or does it seep a little? Does the oil pressure rise normally when you are priming?
Also, you are correct. White lithium grease won't breakdown and will clog oil passages if applied incorrectly. I am still curious though because I would expect to see at least a little oil out the top end. If the grease is the problem, the builder must have put gobs of grease on the right side and not so much on the left. That leads me to believe the problem might be elsewhere.

Keithb87
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Won't know for sure until breakdown. I've been on the road for the last 2 days. I will be working on it this weekend and I'll post the results later.
I am going on a Bike run on Saturday evening so I won't be posting until Sunday or so.
Keith ( I think I have too many hobies) B87 :D

LakesOnly
06-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Ok... We got the 460...it was built 3 years ago and never fired...tonight we pull off the valve covers and start to prime the oil pump. We get oil to the left side but not the right. So we pull the pushrods. Apparently the guy that built this motor used White Lithum Grease for assembly lube ( 3 years ago). Most of the push rods are plugged at the ends. We clean them out and put it all back together and re-prime the oil pump. Still no oil on the right side.
Question:
Would the 3 Year Old lithum grease plug the lifters to the point that they would not transport the oil to the top of the head?Absolutely possible. Using white grease as an assembly lube is a no-no over here. When left to sit for a period of time, it solidifies.
Recently, we purchased a 440 Mopar "core" motor for $100 that appeared to be frozen solid, only to do a teardown and discover that it's a fully rebuilt motor that was assembled with white grease which--over time,--dried/hardened/rubberized/took on the consistency of dried silicon sealer or caulk.
Disassemble your engine and clean thoroughly. Take no chances in trying to re-use an inexpensive relaceable part (ie lifters, bearings) that may have been affected by the lube used during assy. Inspect all galleries thoroughly.
LO

LakesOnly
06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
So tonight we...prime the oil pump. We get oil to the left side but not the right. Most of the push rods are plugged at the ends. We clean them out and put it all back together and re-prime the oil pump. Still no oil on the right side.If you mean to say that you are getting oil to the passenger side of the engine but not the driver's side of the engine, then check the crossover oil gallery in the lifter valley. It may be blocked, or plugged, or may even have a small restrictor in it in order to limit oil to the driver's side lifter bank...and therefore take a little longer to build pressure over there...
LO

LakesOnly
06-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Make sure the oil galley on the right side isn't plugged with a pipe plug (Does this apply to Fords? I know I had this problem with my 454).On Fords, the oil gallery plug at the front of the engine for the passenger side lifter falley MUST be a 3/8 pipe plug that has a conical nose on it, NOT flat at the nose. This plug must be used at that location so as to not block off/restrict oil to the valve train, rotating assy and cam bearings 2-5.
The fact that K87 is getting oil to the top end on one side of the engine causes me to believe this pipe plug issue isn't the problem....but it is always wise to check this out.
LO

Mighty Thor
06-23-2006, 09:37 PM
On Fords, the oil gallery plug at the front of the engine for the passenger side lifter falley MUST be a 3/8 pipe plug that has a conical nose on it, NOT flat at the nose. This plug must be used at that location so as to not block off/restrict oil to the valve train, rotating assy and cam bearings 2-5.
The fact that K87 is getting oil to the top end on one side of the engine causes me to believe this pipe plug issue isn't the problem....but it is always wise to check this out.
LO
Lakes, have you got a picture of this plug you are talking about? I don't think I paid much attention to which plug went where when I started putting my 460 back together. Still waiting on my heads so I can still go in and put the right plug in the right spot if I know what it is supposed to look like.

Keithb87
06-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks Lakes Only. Thw plug in the front over the oil filter was missing and we did put a flat pipe thread in to there. Is that the one you are refering to?
I think, after re-reading the post you are refering to the one in the Valley. I'll be pulling that down in the am.

Keithb87
06-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks Lakes Only. You were correct. We pulled off the Intake and found that both of the caps were missing on the hump in the Valley ( I do not know hte techicnacal term ) Took the caps off of the old engine and installed them in the new engine. put the power to the drill to prime the pump and wa la.... Oil to all the rockers.
Tomorow we will be pulling the pan to check the torque on all of the blots .
Can't be too sure and it's out of the boat right now. :)
Thanks again.
Keith ( much relieved) B87

LakesOnly
06-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Lakes Only. The plug in the front/over the oil filter was missing and we did put a flat pipe thread in to there. Is that the one you are refering to? Different plug, but necessary nonetheless. A standard ol' flat-nosed 3/8 NPT will be fine there.
LO

LakesOnly
06-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks Lakes Only. You were correct. We pulled off the Intake and found that both of the caps were missing on the hump in the Valley (I do not know the technical term). Took the caps off of the old engine and installed them in the new engine. put the power to the drill to prime the pump and wa la.... Oil to all the rockers. :)
Thanks again.
Keith ( much relieved) B87So you forgot to put the 1/8" NPT plugs in the oil gallery crossover in the lifter valley, eh? Good thing you checked for oil pressure all the way to the rockers. It's pretty safe to say that if you have oil to all 16 rockers, then the entire oiling system is likely functioning.
Always happy to help...
LO

LakesOnly
06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Lakes, have you got a picture of this plug you are talking about? I don't think I paid much attention to which plug went where when I started putting my 460 back together. Still waiting on my heads so I can still go in and put the right plug in the right spot if I know what it is supposed to look like.Thor, I just tore down a another motor to the bare block yesterday, so I will get some pictures and post them in this thread later...probably by the end of the weekend or early in the week. Keep an eye out for the pic's; this pointy nosed NPT plug is pretty important stuff and all 460 owners should know about this one,.
LO

Mighty Thor
06-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Thor, I just tore down a another motor to the bare block yesterday, so I will get some pictures and post them in this thread later...probably by the end of the weekend or early in the week. Keep an eye out for the pic's; this pointy nosed NPT plug is pretty important stuff and all 460 owners should know about this one,.
LO
When you pull it out, and take pictures, run it on E-bay. I want in on the next auction you host. :)

LakesOnly
06-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Lakes, have you got a picture of this plug you are talking about? I don't think I paid much attention to which plug went where when I started putting my 460 back together. Still waiting on my heads so I can still go in and put the right plug in the right spot if I know what it is supposed to look like.These photos are of the front of a 460 block. When it comes to installing the plugs into the oiling galleries, the conical-nosed 3/8" NPT plug must go into the location designated by the blue arrow:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350OilPlug1.jpg
The plug that the arrow points to (above) is for the passenger-side lifter gallery. Oil travels from the front of the block to the rear, then crosses over the lifter valley and supplies oil to the driver's side from the back of the block forward to the front. (Please note that the passenger side gallery also feeds all the mains, rods and also cam bearings #2-#5.)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350OilPlug2.jpg
The plug that should be used where the blue arrow points is the plug on the left in this picture directly above. Note how the nose of the NPT plug on the right is a typical flat-nosed NPT plug, but the plug on the left is pointy-nosed. The pointy-nosed plug on the left is the type that should be used where the blue arrow is indicating.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350OilPlug3.jpg
Here we can see that the oil path travels up the front of the block and then turns 90-degrees and goes to the lifters. It is at this 90-degree turn that the pointy-nosed NPT plug is supposed to be used. Use of a flat-nosed plug in this location risks oil restriction and/or starvation. This is how the blocks/engines are delivered from the factory, so use the correct plug.
LO

skeeter
06-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Absolutely possible. Using white grease as an assembly lube is a no-no over here. When left to sit for a period of time, it solidifies.
Recently, we purchased a 440 Mopar "core" motor for $100 that appeared to be frozen solid, only to do a teardown and discover that it's a fully rebuilt motor that was assembled with white grease which--over time,--dried/hardened/rubberized/took on the consistency of dried silicon sealer or caulk.
Disassemble your engine and clean thoroughly. Take no chances in trying to re-use an inexpensive relaceable part (ie lifters, bearings) that may have been affected by the lube used during assy. Inspect all galleries thoroughly.
LO
What year is the 440 that you picked up?

LakesOnly
06-26-2006, 11:52 AM
What year is the 440 that you picked up?We actually bought two with that deal (as a pair) and one of them was apparently reverse rotation. Steel cranks, etc.
LO

skeeter
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
The early 440s with the steel cranks were almost industructable. The stock bottom ends were stouter than the chevys and the "fords". The heads worked well too.