PDA

View Full Version : reverse nut, any tricks?

shaun
06-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Come to find out the threads on the transom housing for the reverse cable nut are stripped. I've been trying to think of how i can rigg it up with out just siliconing the hell out of it. Any of you guys had the same issue and know of any little tricks to fix it? I was thinking about maybe putting down a 1/4 inch layer of jb weld and seeing if i could find the right tap and tap it.

wsuwrhr
06-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Come to find out the threads on the transom housing for the reverse cable nut are stripped. I've been trying to think of how i can rigg it up with out just siliconing the hell out of it. Any of you guys had the same issue and know of any little tricks to fix it? I was thinking about maybe putting down a 1/4 inch layer of jb weld and seeing if i could find the right tap and tap it.
JB weld ain't gonna do it. At least in my opinion.
Best way, I think, is to remove the transom adapter, weld the hole up, drill and tap. You don't want to hear that, you want an easy fix.
The good news is, the nut is only to seal the cable. So silicone might work, or better yet, use a more permanent marine adhesive. Whatever you do, don't let it continue to leak. The water coming in is going to rot your transom wood.
Brian

wsuwrhr
06-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Maybe with the JB weld you could goop it up real good, screw the cable nut inside and let the JB weld harden. Might work.
Make sure the cableway is clear of goop.
Brian

TJS
06-22-2006, 06:44 AM
I agree have it tig welded up then drill and retap. You might want to make a "bushing" out of alum on a lathe and then have that tiged in and then drilled and tapped.
T.J.

flat broke
06-22-2006, 07:20 AM
If you don't wan to go that route, the next best option is to find an electric cable bulkhead/clamp (you can find em at some Home Depots and any electric supply house) It is male threaded on one end, and then has a screw down cap and compression device that seals down against the cable. You can probably find one with a size larger than your current hole, and then you could drill and tap the hole and not have to bust out the welder. Plus in many instances you can get a better seal than with the stock berk piece.
Depending on which style packer you had in there before you might be able to upgrade to a 3/4" cable packer like the one pictured below from Dana.
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/CS-006-1.jpg
The stuff at Home Depot/Electrical outlet will look very similar and can be found in plastic and steel. Obviously the plastic wont corrode, but the steel can be powdercoated.
Other than that, the correct way would be as stated above, pull it, weld it, re-drill and tap it for the Berk cable seal packer.
Chris

shaun
07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
well i went to home depot and found this little dilio in the electrical section. It's basically a threaded tube with a rubber peice inside that as you tighten it it squeezes and seals. The part that what looks to be screwed into the boat actually is not, it's smaller than the threads your seeing which kinds sucked. What i did was grind/taper the hole bigger so that the larger threads would sink in a bit and then used jb weld to hold it in and seal it. that jb weld is ghetto but strong! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out for the most part. I'm not happy with my grind job as i never seam to have the right tools and the hole could have been cleaner looking and i cought a edge and gashed the housing (as you can see in the pic). Anyway for those who may have had the same problem here was my solution....
Here's a pic of what the peice looked like i got from home depot.
http://www.grainger.com/images/products/6X920.JPG
Here it is installed.. the water on the nut makes it look cut up but it's not. Actually has alittle bit of bling to it :)
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/10289-1/ATT00008.JPG
I think i'm going to try to find a nice skinny stainless washer to go behind it to finish it off or maybe a o-ring to hide the small areas where you can see my poor grinding job.

atxwrangler
07-11-2006, 07:24 AM
well i went to home depot and found this little dilio in the electrical section. It's basically a threaded tube with a rubber peice inside that as you tighten it it squeezes and seals. The part that what looks to be screwed into the boat actually is not, it's smaller than the threads your seeing which kinds sucked. What i did was grind/taper the hole bigger so that the larger threads would sink in a bit and then used jb weld to hold it in and seal it. that jb weld is ghetto but strong! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out for the most part. I'm not happy with my grind job as i never seam to have the right tools and the hole could have been cleaner looking and i cought a edge and gashed the housing (as you can see in the pic). Anyway for those who may have had the same problem here was my solution....
Here's a pic of what the peice looked like i got from home depot.
http://www.grainger.com/images/products/6X920.JPG
Here it is installed.. the water on the nut makes it look cut up but it's not. Actually has alittle bit of bling to it :)
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/10289-1/ATT00008.JPG
I think i'm going to try to find a nice skinny stainless washer to go behind it to finish it off or maybe a o-ring to hide the small areas where you can see my poor grinding job.
THATS WHAT I USE ALSO!