PDA

View Full Version : Lavey Craft 26 NuEra impressions?

Familycat
06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
We are considering upgrading to a larger boat. We are looking at a used Lavey Craft 26 NuEra. It apprears to be a solid boat and have heard many good things about Lavey in general. Anyone familiar with this model. Would love to hear some feedback bad or good.
We currently have a 1995 22 Eliminator Daytona. Runs great, no problems but limited to lakes and the Delta. We are looking to expand our boating to include the San Francisco Bay and maybe a trip to Catalina once a year.
Your thoughts please.

Semper Fi
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
I have never owned a Lavey, but they do make a quality boat. I have several friends that have/had them and they were all happy customers. I think Lavey builds one of the better boats you can buy. You cannot go wrong with them.

Familycat
06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I have never owned a Lavey, but they do make a quality boat. I have several friends that have/had them and they were all happy customers. I think Lavey builds one of the better boats you can buy. You cannot go wrong with them.
Thanks for the input.
Rick

River918
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Are you looking to buy new or used? open or closed bow? motor size? Lavey makes a sweet ride and they were on our short list when it came time to buy. I would recomend you looking at their 2750 nu era also......By the way, I know a nice 2006 Shockwave 25 Tremor for sale.. :crossx:

Familycat
06-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Are you looking to buy new or used? open or closed bow? motor size? Lavey makes a sweet ride and they were on our short list when it came time to buy. I would recomend you looking at their 2750 nu era also......By the way, I know a nice 2006 Shockwave 25 Tremor for sale.. :crossx:
I am looking at a used 2004 closed bow with a HP525 and a whipple. Very low hours and very well equpted. I believe the 2750 has a better bottom and would go that way if looking new. This used 26 has a great price and why I am asking for input.
Rick

redi4fun
06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I was looking at a Lavey 26 recently and I have been told the one thing that should be a must is trim tabs :) . It is a very solid boat.

AirtimeLavey
06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Deja vu....seems like I just posted this, but anyway...I've got '99 24 NuEra and love it. I bought it used, and saved a ton. Great boat. My next one will most likely be a Lavey, again. Really like the 2750. The one you're talking about sounds like a nice package.
Definitely take it out for a test ride. Then, be ready to buy it. You'll love the ride, especially after you learn to drive/trim it right w/that hull! :D
btw..I don't have trim tabs, and the ride is great. You might want them w/the bigger size.

Familycat
06-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The boat does have K-Planes.
Keep the comments coming, please.
Rick

Familycat
06-23-2006, 01:12 PM
What should I expect with 750 H. P. on a 26 NuEra? I was thinking low to mid 80's. Any ideas?
Rick

nextasex
06-23-2006, 11:26 PM
We are considering upgrading to a larger boat. We are looking at a used Lavey Craft 26 NuEra. It apprears to be a solid boat and have heard many good things about Lavey in general. Anyone familiar with this model. Would love to hear some feedback bad or good.
We currently have a 1995 22 Eliminator Daytona. Runs great, no problems but limited to lakes and the Delta. We are looking to expand our boating to include the San Francisco Bay and maybe a trip to Catalina once a year.
Your thoughts please.
Jeff and Chris (owners of Laveycraft) built my Lavey brand new in 2002. It's a 26' Nu Era, cuddy/open bow. We have been very happy with the boat and the quality of service. Never has it been back to their shop for problems since the day I took delivery of it. I have the 496HO in it and it runs mid, honest 60's with a full load, people, fuel, coolers full, toys, yadda, yadda. I would very much so consider another Lavey for my next boat if I was in the market.
Good luck and feel free to contact me for any questions,
Frank

cc322
06-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I have also heard good things on the Lavey 26 allthough you will not see the same top speed as the 2750 with a HO a different bottom I think. The 26 is a big stout boat should be fine, the 2750 from what I have heard it is a drivers boat BTW i love my 24 I have the ho and see a good strong 70 mph

tamalewagon
06-28-2006, 11:13 AM
I believe one just came up for sale. PM Bre.

Familycat
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
We made a trip to Tahoe yesterday to drive the used Lavey 26 Nu-Era I inquired about. Great build quality but a little disappainted as to performance. The 525 with the Whipple din't seem as quick as we had expected. We understand we were at Tahoe but the boats was running almost 8 psi. of boost. It would have to be changed boating at sea level. Maybe I am just spoiled driving a cat for so many years. We were hoping to get a ride that was Bay worthy, and our little Daytona is just too small. Also the cockput area was very small. You were very cramped if standing behind the front seats. The cuddy area was huge but feel it might be wasted space. Anyway would definately consider a Lavey in the future, but probably not that one. Maybe I should be looking at the 24 or the 2750.
Rick

hotlavey
06-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Rick,
I think I spoke with you on the phone the other day. I have the 2750 for sale. I would be happy to have you take a test drive in it if you ever decide to come to the Corona area. I know you would love the boat as well as the performance. A very mild setup- Whippled HP EFI500 running 4 lbs of boost- 83mph GPS. The Laveys are fine boats, but the 2750 is a whole different animal then the 24-26's. I think you talked to Chris @ Lavey about it. The boat is like new, come on down and take a ride. I'd be happy to E you some pics if you want.
Tom

Familycat
06-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey Rick,
I think I spoke with you on the phone the other day. I have the 2750 for sale. I would be happy to have you take a test drive in it if you ever decide to come to the Corona area. I know you would love the boat as well as the performance. A very mild setup- Whippled HP EFI500 running 4 lbs of boost- 83mph GPS. The Laveys are fine boats, but the 2750 is a whole different animal then the 24-26's. I think you talked to Chris @ Lavey about it. The boat is like new, come on down and take a ride. I'd be happy to E you some pics if you want.
Tom
Yes, we did speak on the phone and I think the 2750 might be a better choice. Yes, Laveys are nice boats. Thge build quality and rigging are some of the best in the business. Yes, I have spoken to Chris regarding the different models and he said the 2750 was a better bottom. Pictures would be appreciated, especailly some interior shots. We are going to Don Pedro for the weekend and enjoy our "paid for" Eliminator. Have a nice weekend.
Rick

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey Rick,
Tom
I can't tell you anything about the ride, that would be your "feel" as opposed to someone elses. What rides great to one guy may ride like crap to the next guy.
Being that high in altitude really affects peformance. Even super/turbo charged setups. I had a Buick Grand National regal years ago. Turbo'd V-6 that was all tweaked up. 18 lbs of boost. Took it from 300' above sea to 5300' (Denver). Of course, the injection took care of the fuel compensation so it wasn't puking out raw fuel. But, the power just wasn't there. The supercharger will help and I am sure it runs 10x better at Tahoe than it did when they first got it. But, bring it back to earth, and I am sure it will plant you back. The supercharger still has to deal with the quality (density) of air that it takes in. It would still be a night/day difference down at the bay. FYI.

RiverToysJas
06-29-2006, 08:52 AM
First off, you cannot go wrong with a Laveycraft. Great boats, and as important, Great People standing behind your boat!!!
I know several people with the 26', and they all love the boat. The one you are looking at is a smokin' deal IMHO.
When the time comes for me to upgrade, the 26 will be my personal choice. Even over the 2750, which I like a lot, the 26 has more head-room down below. At 27' over-all, the 26 is still a decent size boat and will eat up about anything you put in front of it.
Good luck in your choice, and hopefully we'll see you at the Regatta this fall.
RTJas :D

cc322
06-29-2006, 09:40 AM
First off, you cannot go wrong with a Laveycraft. Great boats, and as important, Great People standing behind your boat!!!
I know several people with the 26', and they all love the boat. The one you are looking at is a smokin' deal IMHO.
When the time comes for me to upgrade, the 26 will be my personal choice. Even over the 2750, which I like a lot, the 26 has more head-room down below. At 27' over-all, the 26 is still a decent size boat and will eat up about anything you put in front of it.
Good luck in your choice, and hopefully we'll see you at the Regatta this fall.
RTJas :D
I concur with Jason. The 26 is a big boat, bigger inside then the 2750, not as fast as a bottom but imo more user friendly. I climbed in both the 26 and the 2750 at the LA boat show and my personal overall impressions where the 26 is much more roomier. I would say make the deal and run...Laveycraft = great boats= great people

hotlavey
06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Yes, we did speak on the phone and I think the 2750 might be a better choice. Yes, Laveys are nice boats. Thge build quality and rigging are some of the best in the business. Yes, I have spoken to Chris regarding the different models and he said the 2750 was a better bottom. Pictures would be appreciated, especailly some interior shots. We are going to Don Pedro for the weekend and enjoy our "paid for" Eliminator. Have a nice weekend.
Rick
Send me a PM with your E mail address and I will send you the pics. Have a safe weekend. The Lavey will remain dry over the 4th as I do not like the crowds and traffic.

29 Lavey
06-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Family Cat - A 29 NuEra is a perfect size for the Delta..I've been there a few times. Also a perfect size with twins for the ocean. The last thing you want is to be floating in the ocean with your family. If something fails you have another motor/drive to get you back to the docks.
This bad boy is for sale - 29 with twins -122 hours on boat-MINT
Chris 323 864 8332 -Will be in Havasu for the fourth.

hotlavey
06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Family Cat - A 29 NuEra is a perfect size for the Delta..I've been there a few times. Also a perfect size with twins for the ocean. The last thing you want is to be floating in the ocean with your family. If something fails you have another motor/drive to get you back to the docks.
This bad boy is for sale - 29 with twins -122 hours on boat-MINT
Chris 323 864 8332 -Will be in Havasu for the fourth.
Just a quick question- what kind of fuel consumption do twins have compaired to a single? I've often wondered and really have no idea. As for reliability, the single engine offshore racers of Lavey to my knowledge have never broken down. I think the current engine/drive combo's are pretty darn reliable.

29 Lavey
06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi,
Most racing programs rebuild or go through their drives every/every other race.
Family Cat mentioned Catalina and the Delta. If I had my choice and my family with me no doubt would I choose twins. No matter how reliable the packages are today who want's to run home from Catalina at 6:00pm and have a problem mid-way? Twins give you piece of mind in large bodies of water.
Fuel use is relative. The motors work less to maintain let's say 80mph vs. a single ..but I still have 2 motors burning fuel.
Family Cat -we are the second owners. The boat came from Lake Tahoe. I don't think I mentioned this boat has ProchargersM3's(5psi). In Tahoe the boat runs mid 90's. Sea level is over 100mph. Great thing is no adjustment needed if you want to run different altitudes ...computer does it all.
HotLavey is your boat the blue graphic 275? If so, very nice!

hotlavey
06-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi,
Most racing programs rebuild or go through their drives every/every other race.
Family Cat mentioned Catalina and the Delta. If I had my choice and my family with me no doubt would I choose twins. No matter how reliable the packages are today who want's to run home from Catalina at 6:00pm and have a problem mid-way? Twins give you piece of mind in large bodies of water.
Fuel use is relative. The motors work less to maintain let's say 80mph vs. a single ..but I still have 2 motors burning fuel.
Family Cat -we are the second owners. The boat came from Lake Tahoe. I don't think I mentioned this boat has ProchargersM3's(5psi). In Tahoe the boat runs mid 90's. Sea level is over 100mph. Great thing is no adjustment needed if you want to run different altitudes ...computer does it all.
HotLavey is your boat the blue graphic 275? If so, very nice!
No, mine has no blue. It has the maroon, red flames with yellow orange fade, and a purple fade in the rear. Maybe that is the blue you are referring to. At the time it was painted it was called the "Dirty Duck" gel(after the race boat of the same name.) They charged extra for it.
Sounds as tho you have a real barn burner. Any plans for another? If I may ask, why are you selling?
Tom

29 Lavey
06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
We want to get back into the 38ft. size.
Yeah BarnBurner....the only person to take it over 100mph was the mechanic who installed the Prochargers. He dialed it in and ran it to make sure it was perfect. I don't care to go that fast. I like to cruise at 80 with rpm's below 4k....do it all day long.
If anyone is interested in a ride/purchase...I'll be in Havasu this week. The boat is a 10. If it were'nt for a little 2" mark/scuff on the boat you would think it just left Lavey Craft.

Familycat
06-30-2006, 05:47 AM
We want to get back into the 38ft. size.
Yeah BarnBurner....the only person to take it over 100mph was the mechanic who installed the Prochargers. He dialed it in and ran it to make sure it was perfect. I don't care to go that fast. I like to cruise at 80 with rpm's below 4k....do it all day long.
If anyone is interested in a ride/purchase...I'll be in Havasu this week. The boat is a 10. If it were'nt for a little 2" mark/scuff on the boat you would think it just left Lavey Craft.
Interesting, how about pictures and price.
Rick

29 Lavey
06-30-2006, 06:14 AM
FamilyCat - I sent you a PM

hotlavey
06-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Family
Here is my 2750. Still looks the same as new. I sent you a PM.

29 Lavey
06-30-2006, 07:13 AM
HotLavey -
Very nice looking boat. Why are you selling?

hotlavey
06-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks.
As for why the sell, I am now retired and the wife "suggests" that maybe I should consider a more family friendly boat(read slower). As we now have 3 under 10 grandkiddies, (and a fourth by next summer), a deck boat would work a little better- easier on and off as well as a private potty area for the more bashfull of the clan. I will still be able to ski and we can do all the stuff that kids like to do so, aside from the speed and looks and a tiny race or two, I won't be scrificing much. I hope.
The buyer will not go wrong with either of these boats.