PDA

View Full Version : Hand hole cover question. JE Pump

stashtrey
06-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I have a JE Pump... the hand hole dealio is on the outside of the boat. I've heard people talk about nearly sinking their boat by pulling the cover off while in water.
Is this the case with a JE Pump or can I pull that cover off while in the water and not worry about sinking my boat?
Can someone explain?

centerhill condor
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
you're good to go! pull away.
usually the hand hole dealio is below the static water line on the inside of the boat so naturally the boat sinks. Your dealio is on the outside. no problemo

stashtrey
06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I guess that's one advantage of the JE pump. I can tell you that the steering setup is most definitely not an advantage. Horrible steering and the cable comes out under water. Brilliant!

stashtrey
06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I guess that's one advantage of the JE pump. I can tell you that the steering setup is most definitely not an advantage. Horrible steering and the cable comes out under water. Brilliant!

IMPATIENT 1
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I Like 12je Pumps Personally.i Know They'll Never Do What A Jc Will Do But Can Be Made To Put Out Some Decent Thrust If Yo Set-up Is Rite.easy To Clean Out The Impellor On The Lake,sticks Out Past Hull And Gives Some Good Leverage On The Hull With Out Droops Or Snoots.i'm Doin 80 With One, But I'm Sure A Jg Or Jc Pump Would Give Me More.

bighead
06-22-2006, 11:01 AM
If you do remove the cover while in the water be aware that there is a o-ring on the lid and it can and does fall out, if it does water will spray out and you will lose performance. I took mine off while on trailer, dried it off good and applied some silicone to the cover to hold the o-ring in if and when I need to pull the cover off while in the water.

IMPATIENT 1
06-22-2006, 11:33 AM
If you do remove the cover while in the water be aware that there is a o-ring on the lid and it can and does fall out, if it does water will spray out and you will lose performance. I took mine off while on trailer, dried it off good and applied some silicone to the cover to hold the o-ring in if and when I need to pull the cover off while in the water.
VERY GOOD ADVISE!! I USE WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE BUT ANYTHING THAT'LL STICK IT THERE WILL WORK FINE.

Cs19
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I guess that's one advantage of the JE pump
thats the only advantage of an e pump.
if i had an e pump id sink it anyways.

Mighty Thor
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah, but it is really hard to get any of the other pumps to seal against the hull!!!
:cry:

SmokinLowriderSS
06-23-2006, 02:58 AM
If that o-ring ever cracks from age you'll get air sucking in as well so inspect it once in a while. Mine cracked thru (split) on me a few years back and a bit of silicone made thew rest of the season over the failed area. Over winter, put new o-ring in and can forget it another 10 yrs or so. :)

IMPATIENT 1
06-23-2006, 09:06 AM
CS, BE NICE.REMEMBER, NOT ALL OF US HAVE THE DOUGH YOU HAVE BRO.I'D HAVE A RACE PUMP IF I DIDN'T HAVE 3 KIDS AND A MORTGAGE,LOL.

stashtrey
06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by cs19
CS, BE NICE.REMEMBER, NOT ALL OF US HAVE THE DOUGH YOU HAVE BRO.I'D HAVE A RACE PUMP IF I DIDN'T HAVE 3 KIDS AND A MORTGAGE,LOL."
No sh*t. Not all of us are trying to go 100 mph.

Cs19
06-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Guys im just jokin, nothing wrong with an e pump, in fact they dont work all that bad. The only thing I dont like is having to pull the engine to service the jet-drive.
I agree with the comment about the o-ring, make sure its in good shape and stay on top of those wing nuts that hold it on, my buddy who has an epump has to tighten those up frequently, if he doesnt its starts cavitating.

IMPATIENT 1
06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=cs19]Guys im just jokin, nothing wrong with an e pump, in fact they dont work all that bad. The only thing I dont like is having to pull the engine to service the jet-drive.
THAT'S NO SHIAT. I PAINTED MY HULL, REINSTALLED MILL, WENT TO THE LAKE, LOADER CAME LOOSE, KNOCKED LOOSE SOME FLOW WORK, TOOK OUT IMP. AND I WAS PULLIN THE DAMN MILL BACK OUT 2WKS AFTER REINSTALLING IT TO OVERHAUL PUMP(AFTER 1 TRIP OUT).NOT HARD WORK OR ANYTHING BUT IT'LL GET A GUY BURNED OUT ON A BOAT QUIK!