PDA

View Full Version : Question on CAPPING a boat?

Sandforme
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I was wondering about capping a boat. I have seen many pictures of this but never seen one up close. Is it diff to match the gelcoat.....if you have multi colors or blends in the area being capped? And lastly what about after it is reprayed...and then re cleared how do you transition the clear out...do they stop at the color or do the respray the whole area? I was told that if you have an area that is white and not color ......after the years the clear will turn yellow??

EXTREMEBOATS
06-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Your on the right track... Lots and lots of work, but yes you can do what you want.
Mike

DUCKY
06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Matching the gel color, especially if it's a blend or fade requires some skills, but we do repairs in them all the time. As far as blending out the clear, if you are capping the boat, you need to spray from a pinstripe to a pinstripe (above and below the cap seam) otherwise you will have more than quadruple the length of your boat in bleed lines that you will be trying to blend in (virtually impossible) And lastly, the (nearly) cardinal rule of gelcoat....Never spray clear over white. You say years? How about minutes! Clear gelcoat isn't actually clear, it's kind of an opaque pinkish color that turns amber when reduced and catalyzed to spray. It will look like hell within minutes and only get worse with time.

Sandforme
06-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info!!