PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question- Guages

NoCal NoBoat
06-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I know this thread's been done before, and I will search. Wouldn't find some updated ideas.
Partner took our Sanger Super Jet out Saturday at Berryessa for its first trip this year.
Appears that a couple of Stewart Warner guages died over the winter. I'm thinking it's time for a new full set - an upgrade is possible.
So, can I ask - what brand guages do you run in your jet ? We'd be replacing the usual suspects (oil, water, fuel, tach)...
What do you find easiest to read ? (white on black face, black on white face,
or ???)
Any guage that's not in your dash that you wish you had ?
Thanks,
Tom

NoCal NoBoat
06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Getting old - s/b gauge...
Find should be mind...

FASTRAT
06-22-2006, 01:22 PM
I know this thread's been done before, and I will search. Wouldn't find some updated ideas.
Partner took our Sanger Super Jet out Saturday at Berryessa for its first trip this year.
Appears that a couple of Stewart Warner guages died over the winter. I'm thinking it's time for a new full set - an upgrade is possible.
So, can I ask - what brand guages do you run in your jet ? We'd be replacing the usual suspects (oil, water, fuel, tach)...
What do you find easiest to read ? (white on black face, black on white face,
or ???)
Any guage that's not in your dash that you wish you had ?
Thanks,
Tom
i fortunately still have the "original" gages in my boat ('73 Kona) & they all still work fine, but, if i were gonna replace them...i would go to the liquid filled Autometer gages...they look good & work great...ur choice on color...look at all types of color schemes side by side & decide what looks best to u...the only gage i wish i had in my dash is a GPS gage, but i refuse to pay that kind of price ($300+)...i use a handheld ($99)...works fine...just my .02 cents
fastrat

SmokinLowriderSS
06-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I put Cendyne LED Digitals in mine this winter (red), love them. The oil was a test (gauge failure) last summer, and survived well. Easy to read broad daylight and dim when the lights come on.

FLEA DIDDY
06-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I have autometer for mine. I don't like the looks of the marine brands, look cheap to me :rollside:

shaun
06-22-2006, 05:11 PM
i bought autometer for mine, autometers site doesnt list there marine guages thought!! Find a site, like rexmar.com, that does if you want a peak. You dont have to buy the marine guages but some guages they only have in marine (like water pressure) and not the regular auto style.

Duane HTP
06-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Buy marine gauges. They are either made out of some kind of plastic or brass, and both types resist moisture and won't rust or corrode. Liquid gauges are nice but have a tendency to expand and contract the liquid a large amount, which eventually can cause them to leak and be inaccurate.

NoCal NoBoat
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM
fastrat, SLSS, FDIDDY, Shaun, Duane HTP -
Thanks for the replies. Several good choices.
I was digging the idea of the Autometer GPS speedo, until I realized the price didn't include the $ 245 sending unit and the wiring harness.
I'll figure out what plays nice with the yellow gelcoat and go from there...
Tom

SmokinLowriderSS
06-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Nordskog GPS speedo .... $390 complete (+ tax and all that crap)
Nordskog GPS Speedometer, digital
HGD200 Digital GPS Speedometer
A complete kit with receiver and external recall switch.
$388.95

Rexone
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Complete selection of Auto Meter Marine here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118489)