PDA

View Full Version : Miners last notes to family...

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 07:55 PM
It would suck to have to write this note but I guess it would give a little more peace. :(
This letter released by the Toler family on Thursday Jan. 5, 2006 in Flatwoods, W. Va was written by Martin Toler Jr., who died with 11 other miners in the Sago mine. The note was given to Martin's brother, Tom Toler, by the coroner. It reads 'Tell all I see them on the other side JR I love you It wasn't bad just went to sleep'
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060106/capt.wvck11101060138.mine_explosion_wvck111.jpg?x= 299&y=345&sig=LZzX_CzDJ8kEsweD.aYRAA--

HocusPocus
01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
sounds like he was more worried about his family then he was himself.. trying to give them some peace of mind. that would be a tough letter to have to write.

pixilatedpussy
01-05-2006, 08:08 PM
So sad!

Mrs.Racer277
01-05-2006, 08:22 PM
That is so sad. God Speed to all.

hoolign
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
it's hard to believe that in this day of age, we don't have another means of machine labor to do this mining (rather than human labor). i know nothing about mining, but it seems real primative and dangerous :220v: - keyes
I have quite a few friends that are miners, and while the equipment ( in some circumstances) does the heavy work, the need for human interaction is still required. Coal mines are still by far the worse as it's a very unstable element.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't know jack shit about mining either but wouldn't it be simple to line the mines with pipe to pump in oxygen from out side and keep a flow of the bad shit going out? I mean, if you layed it on the ground, even in the event of a cave in it would still pump clean air in? It sounds simple, but what do I know? Maybe they already do that and it just didn't work???

hoolign
01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't know jack shit about mining either but wouldn't it be simple to line the mines with pipe to pump in oxygen from out side and keep a flow of the bad shit going out? I mean, if you layed it on the ground, even in the event of a cave in it would still pump clean air in? It sounds simple, but what do I know? Maybe they already do that and it just didn't work???
Most deep mines do have as supply and a vent line ( both forced) but in a cave in it aint gonna matter. The lines are not on the ground they are suspended from the mine ceiling, but again..once the ceiling collapses.the lines are crushed. Evacuation vents in some mines which run from the shaft to surface are only good if the cave in is near one.

Sane Asylum
01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Damn that's sad........

OutCole'd
01-05-2006, 09:01 PM
So sad.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Most deep mines do have as supply and a vent line ( both forced) but in a cave in it aint gonna matter. The lines are not on the ground they are suspended from the mine ceiling, but again..once the ceiling collapses.the lines are crushed. Evacuation vents in some mines which run from the shaft to surface are only good if the cave in is near one.
So why wouldn't you lay them on the ground so they don't break in a cave in?
We can figure out how to build a 31 mile tunnel under the English Channel, but we can't figure out how to safely pump air into a mine shaft. I still don't get it. It has to be a cost thing. There is no way it is not possible to make them safer in my mind, but then again, what do I know? :confused:

hoolign
01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
We can figure out how to build a 31 mile tunnel under the English Channel, but we can't figure out how to safely pump air into a mine shaft. I still don't get it. It has to be a cost thing. There is no way it is not possible to make them safer in my mind, but then again, what do I know? :confused:
Where does the debris go?? on the floor of the shaft. Not alot of mines are reinforced like a tunnel is...yet!, short seams don't warrent the reinforcing, the main shaft is different ..as a lot of other industries they rely on luck and a bit of engineering in design. Of course it's a cost thing! it's the same in my industry...things don't change until someone dies!

INSman
01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Savage Marine sucks !! :hammerhea :hammerhea :D

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Where does the debris go?? on the floor of the shaft. Not alot of mines are reinforced like a tunnel is...yet!, short seams don't warrent the reinforcing, the main shaft is different ..as a lot of other industries they rely on luck and a bit of engineering in design. Of course it's a cost thing! it's the same in my industry...things don't change until someone dies!
I understand the debris goes on the floor but I am thinking of metal pipe not some exhaust hose from your dryer! I am sure it's a cost thing. Would it cost 2 million dollars (the fund the mining copmany started) and 12 lives? I don't think so, but like I said, I don't know shit about mining.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Savage Marine sucks !! :hammerhea :hammerhea :D
Absolute swallows! :2purples:
Thank you thank you I'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waitress on the way out. :D
This is just a joke so all the absolute nut swingers don't get your panties in a wad. :D

hoolign
01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I understand the debris goes on the floor but I am thinking of metal pipe not some exhaust hose from your dryer! I am sure it's a cost thing. Would it cost 2 million dollars (the fund the mining copmany started) and 12 lives? I don't think so, but like I said, I don't know shit about mining.
Dude!...It's all cost! every industry!. lines on the ground take up space,, overhead they don't.( to a degree) And I'm not sure what alloy a pipe would have to be made of to withstand that degree of force comming down. I am unsure of costs, I just know from, my Dad, and a bunch of buddies that worked and work in the mines how things work.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Dude!...It's all cost! every industry!. lines on the ground take up space,, overhead they don't.( to a degree) And I'm not sure what alloy a pipe would have to be made of to withstand that degree of force comming down. I am unsure of costs, I just know from, my Dad, and a bunch of buddies that worked and work in the mines how things work.
Well I think I am going to boycott coal. :D
Who uses coal anyway. :D

INSman
01-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Absolute swallows! :2purples:
Thank you thank you I'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waitress on the way out. :D
This is just a joke so all the absolute nut swingers don't get your panties in a wad. :D
Just wanted to lighten up the mood on this sad thread... :(

hoolign
01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Just wanted to lighten up the mood on this sad thread... :(
It is a very sad deal for those directly involved!

DEEZ NUTTS
01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Heard a quote from a miner today on radio "Just like an officer of the law, we know that any day at work could be our last"
Risk is everywhere. People get killed or seriously hurt on construction jobs every day and they dont make national news. How long has it been since the last mining disaster? If it is only as often as reported I would say the job is not much more dangerous than others.

hoolign
01-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Heard a quote from a miner today on radio "Just like an officer of the law, we know that any day at work could be our last"
Risk is everywhere. People get killed or seriously hurt on construction jobs every day and they dont make national news. How long has it been since the last mining disaster? If it is only as often as reported I would say the job is not much more dangerous than others.
Thats' the nasty thing about industry! lots of people die ( thats why I have this feud with SWB goin) it takes unavoidable media attention to bring these things to light!
It's a sad reality! but a reality none the less! I hope that the mining company changes procedures that led to this unfortunate accident, the company I work for has this philososphy..." every accident was once an unidentified hazard" and they do their damndest to accomodate every single suggestion us consultants have!

KACHINA KEN
01-05-2006, 10:14 PM
really blows. fkn sucks.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 10:44 PM
By the way...quit thinking and go to bed. You are going to put a dent in your forehead :)
:D You can't tell me the technology isn't there. It's not time for bed yet. :D

hoolign
01-05-2006, 10:51 PM
:D You can't tell me the technology isn't there. It's not time for bed yet. :D
The technology is there...for aot of industries! that's the real sad part! What you have to "unfortunatley " realize..is that for a company that owns xxx # of mines or other sustainable industry related companies is that...it's not fianacially pheasable to " make safe" all workplaces! They can deny this all they want but it'd true! It's comming! but it's slow! as I said before .people have to die before things change!

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
The technology is there...for aot of industries! that's the real sad part! What you have to "unfortunatley " realize..is that for a company that owns xxx # of mines or other sustainable industry related companies is that...it's not fianacially pheasable to " make safe" all workplaces! They can deny this all they want but it'd true! It's comming! but it's slow! as I said before .people have to die before things change!
I would think lives lost would be enough to pass on some of the financial burden to consumers to make things possible.

hoolign
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I would think lives lost would be enough to pass on some of the financial burden to consumers to make things possible.
Watch how fast everyone( except the directly involved familes) forgets about it! And then tell me that! I have seem more friends than I care to rememeber die in my "chosen occupation" with no results.

Phat Matt
01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Watch how fast everyone( except the directly involved familes) forgets about it! And then tell me that! I have seem more friends than I care to rememeber die in my "chosen occupation" with no results.
True. Being in the media forefront helps a lot.
I would hope for the risk you either enjoy your job or make a shit load of money.

hoolign
01-05-2006, 11:21 PM
True. Being in the media forefront helps a lot.
I would hope for the risk you either enjoy your job or make a shit load of money.
wouldnt say "shitload" but 1400 a day does ease the stress :D and yes..I love my job..we play with power like you've never seen before, which properly handled can be an amaxing thing to be beside!

JetBoatRich
01-06-2006, 05:06 AM
Sad for the families, nice he wrote the note and said good by to his family.

Hardly Satisfied
01-06-2006, 10:49 AM
very sad :cry:

Totally IncapASSitated
01-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately we all know that this is not true...and even sadder to say is that companies like ICG are well aware tragedies like this are bound to happen and $2mill and 11 lives are simply a cost of doing business :(
Sago Mine Safety (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/free?ch=61492&cl=236730','playerWindow','width=793,height=608,sc rollbars=no'));)
Sad times when a BILLIONAIRE company owner chooses not to ante up some of own money for the families!!!!
Like Hoolign said...incidents like these are quickly forgotten by those not directly affected.